Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High index options for > +10 prescription

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Fantastic, I'll do that. How can they contact you? Email? I'd need your email address. Perhaps you can email me your details. I'd like to proceed with the new spectacles as sson as possible.

Many thanks

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    maximum01

The following is available in your prescription as per the factories I spoke to:

1.70 glass in a 200 base curve

1.74 plastic

The 1.74 would have to be ordered from Japan and the 1.70 can be ordered from Taiwan. If this is something you want, have your optician or doctors office that will be making the glasses for you contact me and I can discuss with them how to proceed.

Doc
    Check the signs on his Rx. 200 base wouldn't be useful.

As I said, Tokai has sufficiently high base curves for this Rx - I don't have the info in front of me at the moment, but I definitely recall that there was an 11.25 base.

There is the possibility that they sent us specifications for a product they haven't yet released; we wouldn't necessarily know that.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I did the job on a 50 eye and it looked good with a 1.0 edge.

Jerry

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for everyone's help, especially DocFromChina. My opticians have contacted Seiko and apparently they can do my job in 1.67.

Does anyone know how good this lens is? Fingers crossed for a good job...apparently it will take 4 weeks.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hello folks,

After all your help I just wanted to tell everyone my new spectacles arrived and despite setting me back over £300 they're mindblowingly good.

On a black rectangular Versace frame the Seiko 1,67's came out really nice, even at my huge Rx. The most surprising thing for me was the reduced magnification on my eyes with these compared to my old lenses.

The lenses also look mucg nicer from an angle. WIth my old lenses you could sort of see the cylinder and huge distortion at the sides. These look much nicer.

OptiBoard Novice
    One major problem with going with a smaller eyesize with such a high Hyperopic prescription is that it will induce a ring scotoma in his visual field. He'll get the cosmetically appealing glasses, but at a huge sacrifice of visual field.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Index isn't the only way to get thinner. There is also smaller. Get the smallest frame you can wear, preferably with your eyes as well centered as possible in the frame. It will make a lot more difference than the material.

And for those who expect me to say it, yes contact lenses would be the best answer for you, both visualy and cosmeticly.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mjazz11
    One major problem with going with a smaller eyesize with such a high Hyperopic prescription is that it will induce a ring scotoma in his visual field. He'll get the cosmetically appealing glasses, but at a huge sacrifice of visual field.
    Actually the ring scotoma is smaller in size with a smaller eyesize, so less of a problem. The larger you go, the larger the scotoma, up to a point. In fact, if you go small enough, there is NO scotoma. (consider the contact lens, for example)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Idea glass index for plus

The trick is to make your own first side of the lense to suit the rx-there again just my opinion but you can get a 1.60 or 1.66 and make your own front curve to fit the situation. 1.67 doesn't have enough center thickness to use as a plus made front and still do the back. A small frame helps but if the patient has a wide pd it will not look good. Stick with a frame that fits good and arrange the curves to fit the rx. I'm always open to help others so ask and I'll do my best to help.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum01
    Hello folks,

After all your help I just wanted to tell everyone my new spectacles arrived and despite setting me back over £300 they're mindblowingly good.

On a black rectangular Versace frame the Seiko 1,67's came out really nice, even at my huge Rx. The most surprising thing for me was the reduced magnification on my eyes with these compared to my old lenses.

The lenses also look mucg nicer from an angle. WIth my old lenses you could sort of see the cylinder and huge distortion at the sides. These look much nicer.
    Thanks for letting us know how they came out. I am glad you are pleased with them, it was money well spent I think.

Thread Information