Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seniors and their Rx's

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Blue Jumper Seniors and their Rx's

I am doing some research on Seniors and what they "need" in their glasses. What would you consider a "must" for the Senior market? My practice does not have a large Senior population thus the cry for help :)

I am thinking that items like AR, UV, lifestyle lenses, etc. would be included.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    We see alot of senior Rx's here and the big thing is a light tint. UV is also nice.

Occupation
    Jacqui,

UV I understand what with all the eye diseases. What is the rationale behind the light tint? Why not AR to increase the light? What else do you find unique?
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee:

I once was in a CEC course where the instructor made a point that the whole world needed ARC to get more light. Then the same woman went on to say that they also needed a light tint to cut our some of the excess light.

When I brought this to her attention, the entire group ridiculed me for this.

I guess I just work to a different set of standards.

Chip

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lee,

Here's my top ten...
    1. Function and fashion, in that order.
    2. Get it right the first time.
    3. Listen carefully.
    4. Sincerity.
    5. Use coated optics.
    6. Order more brown Fitovers/Cocoons.
    7. Note work distances and reading distances. When add powers are a problem it's because of too much plus.
    8. Take low vision courses. Order illuminated magnifiers.
    9. Consider computer, music, shaving glasses.
    10. Hire an older optician

Occupation
    Lee:

Don't really know the rational behind the light (pinks, blues,etc.) tints, but all my customers seem to order it for thier seniors. We are in an economically depresed area and AR is not really a big seller. Have to agree with clip-ons and or cacoons, etc (some type of sun protection).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Initially the pink tints were used to help post-cataract patients deal with light sensitivity. Now, I use various tint combinations to add a bit of cosmetic color. As we age, our skin tones tend to lighten and a bit of tinting "brightens" complexions a bit. I find that most of our seniors a far more fashion conscious than we expect them to be. My Mom (79) is now wearing a Varilux Liberty and has frames from Mikli, Karavan, Tura, Silhouette and Eye Think. Quite a change from 7 years ago when she had one pair of clear lenses and one pair of polarized sunglasses. Seniors are also more active than we believe, participating in any number of sports activities. Some like my Mom are sill working and loving every minute of it. She teaches home-bound students for the City of Portsmouth and is all over the place in her red pickup and Mikli sunglasses!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    Lee:

Don't really know the rational behind the light (pinks, blues,etc.) tints, but all my customers seem to order it for thier seniors. We are in an economically depresed area and AR is not really a big seller. Have to agree with clip-ons and or cacoons, etc (some type of sun protection).

Rising Star
    Occupation

Post Cataract Readers

Something I recomend to my customers here in Florida, also known as the Lords waiting room, is using the Sola Access lens for people who have had cataract surgery. Most post cataract patients don't need a distamce RX and need a +2.75 for reading. Using the Access with the high power range gives the patient a reader and an excelent intermediate for cooking, playing cards ect.... I have customers who tell these patients it a reading lens with two powers, perfect for post cataract patients.
    John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree with Jacqui. Light tint great for seniors.

I like the 15% sand. Reduces glare on the beginning cataract seniors, softens the newly abundant illuminance on the IOL patient.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I was taught in the '60's was pink was origionaly introduced by B&L (Softlite A, B &C) to reduce glare off paper. Particularly for those with jobs that require a lot of reading. Of course this was popular with seniors and AO and others quicky followed suit.

Also had an old friend, Phil Salvatori who did a lot of work with the effects of filtered light and actually concluded that rose colored lenses did give people a more cheerful outlook on life. He found that blue depressed people and I think he came up with jail-house mauve to calm prisoners. I do know that he found that aquarium fish and plants died if deprived of all UV.

Chip

Hope this stirrs something up.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    As a retired optician, senior citizen and long time curmudgeon my needs are few. First of all, I have been wearing a FT trifocal for the past 20 years. Please don’t try to put me into a PAL. I also have gotten along just fine for over 65 years now without anti reflection coatings and tints. The innate ultraviolet absorption of my CR39 lenses is more protection than I will ever need as long as I stay below 75,000 feet, which is quite likely these days.

Woe betides the dispenser who tries to put me in a rimless mounting. I have spent many years forming my image and I wish to maintain it right up until I go into the home (either nursing or funeral.) There is nothing that you can do that will make me look younger or more intelligent. There is nothing that your products can do to improve my visual acuity, ocular health or attitude.

I am also not too thrilled when you try to sell me a $400.00 dollar pair of glasses. Don’t you people realize how much stool softener you can buy with $400.00? I do not need polycarbonate sport lenses and goggles to play shuffleboard. And, whatever you do, fabricate the eyewear to tolerance as neither I nor my ophthalmologist (who, by the way, is also an old timer and doesn’t dispense,) have the time to fart around figuring out what you did wrong. Life is too short.

Oh, by the way, you too will be an old geezer much sooner than you think.

PS

Chip, can I have my wife call on you when the dementia prevents me from making these rational eyewear decisions myself. We seem to be sharing some of the same secrets.

Judy, yes we are more active these days. However, our activity level has nothing to do with Mikli, Karavan, Tura, Silhouette and Eye Think. It’s due to colonoscopy and the statins.

Dick

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dick, Thanks for making me smile. I needed it. Walt (soon to be old fart)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love all the positive additudes on this board!!!!!!

As I posted on another thread, I am not out to just sell a patient anything, I only sell patients products that will benefit them. I don't know if anyone out there feels the same way I do, but I'm getting tired of being accused of selling products to patients just to make a buck. The negativity is exhausting.

Occupation
    Thanks for all the replies! I am seeing an over riding theme in tints. Why is this? Is it just old habits? Before AR became usable, we would use tints to help alleviate glare by diminishing the available light. Now reasearch has shown that too much blue light makes things "glare" in our routine life and AR helps improve clairity. So why the old habits? Is it our customers or our perception of our customers? Just because they are "old" they won't be interested in new technology?

John - Amen to using Access (I use Shamir Office) as the next generation reading glasses!! Too versatile to not use.

Does everyone use UV on seniors? Lifestyle lense like the Access and Office? Progressives?
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You'll find as much variety in the oldsters as you do in youngsters. Some will want the latest, most up to date of everything, some want what they've had for the last thirty years. This means, try not to change things too much. Have a wide variety of frame styles, but make sure you have some large sizes. And LISTEN to your patient! They'll let you know in no uncertain terms exactly what they want - don't give them anything else.

And have fun with them, they usually have a great sense of humor, like rbaker.
    Oh, and keep the stool softener handy.:)
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Need vs Want

Lee,

As a frame rep who was a former Optician for a long time I have some suggestions. Get a hold of a Luxottica general catalogue or a Luxottica appointment book. In the front of that book you will find a chart called the " fashion cycle of acceptance". That chart is a diamond shape. The top half of the diamond is for people who want change. The bottom half of the diamond is for people who don't want change. It is used for our accountS to analyze their inventory based on their patient base.

Seniors can fall into either the top or the bottom section. Senior often have lots of disposable income and many want the latest fashion and designer styles every time they get and exam and sometimes in between exams if a friend has something they like. They are at the top tip of the diamond. Other Seniors don't want to change anything anytime, They are at the bottom tip of the diamond.

The interesting part is that income has little to do with which group they fall into!

In short - it depend on the customer/patient's wants, as well as needs.

Many in the optical business would never order a pair of dress glasses without UV/ARC/SRC but feel they must wait until the customer ASK if they want it. No wonder ARC sales in the US are so poor in comparison to Europe.

• USE LIFESTYLE DISPENSING QUESTIONS TO DETERMINE NEEDS AND WANTS

• MAKE SUGGESTIONS AND WAIT FOR RESPONSES

• START WITH YOUR BEST AND MOVE DOWN IF THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT.

• NEVER PRE-JUDGE A PATIENT/CUSTOMER

• NEVER LIE AND TELL A PATIENT/CUSTOMER SOMETHING IS MEDICALLY NECESSARY WHEN IT IS A CONVIENCE ITEM. BUT DON'T UNDERESTIMATE HOW THAT CONVIENCE ITEM MAY CHANGE THEIR LIFE FOR THE BETTER.

• SOMETIMES THE DISPENSER IS THE ONLY PERSON WHO HAS TAKEN TIME TO LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER. DON'T BLOW THE OPPORTUNITY.
    Rep

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Rep, that was a good reply....................

I have seen many of above posts have mentioned UV absorbers for seniors.......................having specialized in UV absorbers since its inception and general use............I would like to make a comment:

UV absorbers will prevent long term as well as short term damage to the eye. So giving them to seniors will do no harm.............but will do no good either. Any long term damage has been done already.

UV absorbers should be prescribed and sold and pushed for each and every RX you are selling to anybody, from children, young adults and grown ups to prevent long term damage.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ARC & Tints

AR coatings or better known as Anti-Reflective coatings reduce visible reflections, allowing for clearer vision. Tints reduce visible glare. There is a difference. Good opticians realize the importance of utilizing both as needed.

Seniors are more sensitive to glare caused by light, but are also more sensitive to the reflections caused by their lenses. The reflections cause further reflections within their eyes because of these reflections "bouncing around" inside their eyes, due to particular opacities.

A person with emerging cataracts will benefit by having both AR coatings to reduce surface reflections allowing them to see clearer, and by having a tint to reduce visible glare. Problems can occur if the wrong color tint is used. Gray is not a good color for indoor, and in fact even outdoors you will probably find a greater acceptance of brown (amber). Various shades of pink/peach/cruxite will greatly benefit your senior patients indoors.

Judy, you're right... seniors like fashion and all of them don't see themselves as "over the hill".

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation

Good 2 cents .........................

Quote Originally Posted by Diane

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diane
    A good 2 cents.............and I hope the Optiboarders are going to believe it finally..............and they can even make a few bucks with your advice.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another 2 cents

For Seniors who have had cataract extraction, U.V. should be a must. Every case of macular degeneration I have seen in 44 years of retail practice has been on a patient who has had cataract extraction. I had far too many patients in the days of prior to implants (and yes, it's a problem for those with psuedophakic implants also, I just don't have the same personal contact I had with the true aphakes) who saw marvelously with contacts, then things went downhill. I just didn't know the cause in those days.

Chip

Remember that while cataracts are fixable, macular degeneration is not.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 01-23-2005 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Mo' stuff

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    For Seniors who have had cataract extraction, U.V. should be a must. Every case of macular degeneration I have seen in 44 years of retail practice has been on a patient who has had cataract extraction. I had far too many patients in the days of prior to implants (and yes, it's a problem for those with psuedophakic implants also, I just don't have the same personal contact I had with the true aphakes) who saw marvelously with contacts, then things went downhill. I just didn't know the cause in those days.

It’s my understanding that the greater likelihood of having ARMD after cataract extraction hasn’t fully been explained. Nowadays, most PC IOLs block any UV getting through the cornea, so there is currently a lot of attention in research given to increased blue light bombardment of the macula.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have no reason for this other than I know a little bit about plastics and coating breakdowns. I will raise question as to how effective coatings on IOL's are and whether or not they break down after long periods of time. Still feel it should best SOP on all patient's spectacles who have had cataract extraction although I have doubts about it being more than a sales gimmick on non-aphakes.

And yes, I have listened to endless lectures, sales hype, etc. on the value of UV coatings. I have also listened to a few lectures that indicate that cataracts are no more common in Ozone hole areas than in other areas. I have found that "Doctors" who have a financial interest in dispensing always specify U.V. coatings (even on 1/2 eye reading glasses) and those who have no such interest don't seem to care.

Chip

Occupation

Post catarct .................................

Simple solution for above 2 post's:

1) protect for UV with any lens treated for it

2) blue blocker tint to cut out blue light

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt
    Thanks for all the replies! I am seeing an over riding theme in tints. Why is this? Is it just old habits? Before AR became usable, we would use tints to help alleviate glare by diminishing the available light. Now reasearch has shown that too much blue light makes things "glare" in our routine life and AR helps improve clairity. So why the old habits?
    When fitting aphakics with glasses the norm was to use a rose tint. The reason was probably due to intraocular glare and color distortion. I still have a dozen or so aphakic clients and most prefer a tint (for indoor use) along with an ARC. Some have a clear coated pair, as well as a tinted and coated pair for indoor use. The single layer ARCs at the time (pre mid 80's) were used infrequently probably due to the long processing time and extremely modest visual benefits available with single layer ARCs.

Robert

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Have no reason for this other than I know a little bit about plastics and coating breakdowns. I will raise question as to how effective coatings on IOL's are and whether or not they break down after long periods of time. Still feel it should best SOP on all patient's spectacles who have had cataract extraction although I have doubts about it being more than a sales gimmick on non-aphakes.

And yes, I have listened to endless lectures, sales hype, etc. on the value of UV coatings. I have also listened to a few lectures that indicate that cataracts are no more common in Ozone hole areas than in other areas.
    I think what I am to infer from all of this is that you think UV exposure to the retina is bad, but UV exposure to the crystalline lens is not. Contrary to the information you have received in your lectures, my understanding is that increased UV-B exposure has been shown to be a definite risk factor for cortical cataract formation. Consequently, I do not share your view that preventive intervention (ala Chris’ suggestion that everyone get UV) is merely a “sales gimmick”.

I have found that "Doctors" who have a financial interest in dispensing always specify U.V. coatings (even on 1/2 eye reading glasses) and those who have no such interest don't seem to care.
    Nice observation. Doctors either rip off their patients or they don’t care about their patients. Of course “Opticians”, unlike “Doctors”, ALWAYS recognize and do what is in the best interest of patients.

Thread Information