Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seniors and their Rx's

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    I love all the positive additudes on this board!!!!!!

As I posted on another thread, I am not out to just sell a patient anything, I only sell patients products that will benefit them. I don't know if anyone out there feels the same way I do, but I'm getting tired of being accused of selling products to patients just to make a buck. The negativity is exhausting.
    GOD (or given diety of your choice so as not to offend) BLESS YOU. I hate being made to feel like a used car salesman by my patients. and a swindler by some of my fellow board members because of my employment by a doctor with an optical shop.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My practice is heavy in geriatrics and my recommendations do not stray far from what I would recommend to my other patients.

Lightweight frames, preferably titanium. Lightweight and non-corrosive is a plus for seniors who are often sensitive to pressure from their glasses and who’s skin is also more sensitive to allergies.

Lenses should be lightweight polycarbonate again to reduce overall weight, provide protection from falls and block UV. Poly is much more economical so it is preferred over Trivex.

Progressive lenses to allow clearer intermediate vision that can reduce the incidence of falls

AR lens treatment to allow maximum light, a must for aging eyes that have clouded media and retinal problems.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by shellrob
    I love all the positive additudes on this board!!!!!!

As I posted on another thread, I am not out to just sell a patient anything, I only sell patients products that will benefit them. I don't know if anyone out there feels the same way I do, but I'm getting tired of being accused of selling products to patients just to make a buck. The negativity is exhausting

Well you can thank all places like The Evil Empire and Sears and any of your large chains for promoting this idea. There only in it for the money and nothing else. When they tell you that they paid $7.99 (wholesale) for a rimless frame and they want you to sell more of them because they retail it for 149.99, there is something wrong! I m not naming names but the above is an actually pricing structure at one of your large national retailer! Now hows that for a mark up!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Markup ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    ...............................that they paid $7.99 (wholesale) for a rimless frame and they want you to sell more of them because they retail it for 149.99, there is something wrong! ........................
    You are right up to a certain point....................................

Opticians have brought this one by their own fault of accepting and going along with consignment.

When I had my frame import and distribution company represnting 2 major companies, we SOLD frames to opticians. They ordered, received , and paid.

Then came the consignment idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the wholesaler gives you, the retailer frames at no cost and you obly pay what you sold and when you dont want it anymore he will take it back and throwes them in the garbage.

The cost of doing this is tremendous and the markup will be somwhat justified.

Go back to maikng your own investment, buy your frames, pay for them, give your own warranties, and you will soon be the one who can sell cheaper at a higher markup.

:idea: :idea: :idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That maybe Chris but I still believe large chain or not it is still morally not right

to mark up a piece of garbage so high for profit motives and profit motives only!
    I just don't think that is ethical or moral!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1

to mark up a piece of garbage so high for profit motives and profit motives only!
    I just don't think that is ethical or moral!
    Don't forget that most frames on the market are now made in the same corner of the world, by the same people, and the quality is not garbage anymore. The prices at the exit door are just about the same for everybody.......if designer frame or something generic.

Read today's news about the US trade deficit. Dont blame the suppliers blame the retailers for wanting their stock and choice of frames without paying until it is sold. That is like leasing a car...........you pay it a few times over.

Thread Information