Thread: Prio lenses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Prio lenses

Hey Folks,
    I've enjoyed reading your posts for a year now and I finally decided I should get in on the action. I'm looking for any advice on selling and dispensing the Prio lenses for computer wear. Any experiences good or bad would be helpful.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have sold Prio lenses and system in the past, I'm actually surprised they are still around. Prio makes and sells a refracting instrument to make it easy for a Dr to refract a patient for computer glasses. Prio does not actually manufacture any lenses. They have 2 computer lenses they sell under their name. they are made by Zeiss and Shamir. The last time I saw any Prio info they had added frames and droped the price of their "System".
    John Zimmerman
    Sales Manager
    Tri-City Optical Laboratory

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Prio device

Anyone out there have input on customer satisfaction with the prescriptions determined using the Prio system. For presbyopes computer adds are easy to determine based upon working distance, but for those with significant accommodation left is the Prio device really useful as compared to using working distance and fused cross cylinder to estimate a good add for symptomatic computer users?

We are considering purchasing the Prio diagnostic device for our non-presbyopes and would like to know if we are getting a good product.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Those with "significant accomodation left" don't need computer lenses.
    Just the ones near 50 and above.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjackson
    Anyone out there have input on customer satisfaction with the prescriptions determined using the Prio system. For presbyopes computer adds are easy to determine based upon working distance, but for those with significant accommodation left is the Prio device really useful as compared to using working distance and fused cross cylinder to estimate a good add for symptomatic computer users?

We are considering purchasing the Prio diagnostic device for our non-presbyopes and would like to know if we are getting a good product.
    I think it's all baloney. Baloney, baloney, baloney. It's "based" on spurious assumptions.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Those with "significant accomodation left" don't need computer lenses.
    Just the ones near 50 and above.

Chip
    Amen, bro. Some common sense, there.

Actually, though, there are those normals who will experience accomodative symptoms with heavy computer use (over 1 hr/day). In that case, assuming everything else is normal, a simple +0.75 to +1.25 takes care of it. You could give everyone a +1.00 and do great.

(For that matter, the vast majority of binocular vision/accommodation/behavioral/near-point complaints ALL JUST NEED A +1.00. They're magic or something. Everyone else that has all the mumbo-jumbo equipment, training, and philosophy is just trying to determine with a ridiculous degree of "accuracy" just how much low plus and just how much low BI prism they "need" to prescribe. It's voodoo. I call it "the black box theorum": people will vociferously debate, pontificate, hairsplit, and waste vast amounts of time theorizing about what they don't really wholly understand, instead of investigating the mystery. Kind of like what is done with nutrition, politics, and like we do with progressives and high index lenses!)

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The practice I am at now for the last 4 years has used the PRIO tester very successfully. I know that the DR can and could derive the Rx without the tester but I feel that it lends a high degree of credibility to the results, especially with the younger emmetropes and low astigmatics that came in complaining of CVS. I feel that the bottom line is that you either believe in the PRIO research or you don't. I think PRIO has done a terrible job in getting their story out to the profession. They have instead focused on selling lenses and frames.

As for lenses, we use Shamir Office in our practice. I have a very high number of tech workers (besides Microsoft only 3 blocks away we also have many other tech companies in the area). Patient acceptance has been very high. BTW, the PRIO lens is Shamir Office. It is under license to them. Same story for the Browser by Zeiss. I think if you do the reading beyond PRIO corporate lit, you will see the validity of the process.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company