Thread: skin disorders in dogs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

skin disorders in dogs

I have been researching skin disorders in dogs because of a problem we are having with our dog and I was wondering if anyone on Opti-board has any helpful advice or has had similiar problems.

We have a miniature dachshund, male, 4 1/2 years old. About 2 months ago, he developed these pimple-like bumps on his back. The vet basically said that it was like an adult acne problem and prescribed anti-biotics and gave him a steroid shot for the itching. This went on for a few weeks with a refill of the anti-biotics and prednesone tablets.

The "pimples" started to become crusty like and caused the fur to start coming out. Another steroid shot was given a month later and at that time the vet said that he had a yeast infection of the skin and prescribed a medicated shampoo.

After a few weeks of this, there was no improvement and he had more of the pimple like bumps to pop up which later crusted over, etc. So, the vet prescribed an anti-fungal pill to go along with the the shampoo. He did not have a good reaction to this med so we discontinued it and today they did a biopsy of the lesions. He had to be sedated and now has 7 stitches.

They did do a thyroid test because sometimes that causes skin problems but it came back normal. I am so frustrated because so far no method of treatment has helped and it has actually gotten worse. He looks terrible because of the lesion and the loss of fur. I feel bad for him because I know he is uncomfortable. I just hope the lab results will tell us something and hopefully whatever it is will be treatable.

Has anyone had any similiar experiences with their dogs?

Vicki

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    How about your dog's diet? I've done some volunteer work at an animal shelter and most of the skin disorders were cleared up by changing the dogs food (some are allergic to corn, some can only eat chicken or lamb or vegetarian). Flea allergies too can cause this type of thing. How about an antifungal cream (FYI ringworm is a fungus-the same fungus as athletes foot, and can be treated with topical creams). Not that this sounds like ringworm mind you. You could try a pets forum (Pets.ca is pretty good), for more answers. Good luck.
    Chimperial Optical-what a great place to work!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

For Vicki

Vicki, my dog has had many health problems, and each time, I have used both conventional and alternative therapies.

May I suggest that you go to:

www.naturesfarmacy.com

And, call them at (800) 733-4981. You can get a free telephone consultation. Their prices on products are extremely reasonable. They are wonderful, kind, caring people who have helped me through some very tough times with my Husky.

p.s. the owner's name is Janette.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've known two situations like this. One was allergies, but I'd think the steroid would take care of any allergic reaction. The other was stress. Believe it or not, the dog was put on Prozac - real, human Prozac - and the skin/fur issue cleared up. Good luck.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the responses. I actually talked to the vet about diet and food issues as well as stress and he didn't think either was a factor however I'm not so convinced. For 2 reasons:

I have been taking care of my elderly parents since September and we have been living with them on a short-term basis however they are in another state so my husband is not with us full-time. My father started feeding Bogey alot of table food and he in turn gained weight so there is one sign that it is food/diet related. My father is very forgetful (87 years old) and it has been a struggle to get him to understand not to feed Bogey.

Because my husband only sees us part-time right not (he has been wonderful during this time) I think Bogey has experienced seperation anxiety and has environmental stress.

Both of these situations will be remedied in February when we will be moving to Asheville, NC with my husband. (he has been relocated during this time and has already moved)

As you can tell, alot of changes have happened, so I think you are right however all of this the vet still says no.

The results should be back within the week from the biopsy so we'll see........

Thanks again for the replies,
    Vicki

Thread Information