Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Optician

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW, I love this tread. Please tellmore about how you get into the Elderly Care Homes? Do you run addsin the news paper? I have gone into the homes before with an OD andhe did the exam and I did the eyewear. I just found it very hard toget the pts to pay. Do you get the homes to cover the glasses?

Could you also be a frame rep as well?Or would that be too much. Are you able to go to large businessesand get your foot in the door?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    thanks, Java 99

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    WOW, I love this tread. Please tellmore about how you get into the Elderly Care Homes? Do you run addsin the news paper? I have gone into the homes before with an OD andhe did the exam and I did the eyewear. I just found it very hard toget the pts to pay. Do you get the homes to cover the glasses?

Could you also be a frame rep as well?Or would that be too much. Are you able to go to large businessesand get your foot in the door?
    Been doing it for 20+ years now. Left the retail arena 2 years ago to exclusively provide mobile service and haven't looked back. Working smarter instead of harder makes my life much more flexible and affords much more opportunity to enjoy my family and hobbies. It's my opinion this and other niche practices may be the most viable professional opportunity for the independant optician in future years. I also embrace the concept of "The More...The Merrier" as many consumers will begin realizing they do indeed have a professional alternative to on-line value or being herded through a dispensary. I'd be happy to pass on some pointers if you want to email or call me.

mobileopticare.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Case on wheels

Hi there,
    Just to let you know, I have the case that holds about 9 display cases inside. The downside of it? it's very heavy and it can feel clumsy..

At the last vision expo, one of the companies selling these cases also had leather "duffel bags" with wheels. I bought it at the end of the show cause it was a great deal and I figured if it didn't work, I would use it for travel. Bottom line: I love it!! It's lite, it fits in about 5 display cases + all the other stuff I bring. Since I bought it, I have not once used my heavy one (use it to keep the rest of my display cases)..

If you are thinking of going mobile (that's what La Vista Mobile Optical is), consider this much less expensive option to start..
    Just something to think about.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Torontooptician View Post
    I want to buy frame holder ( or a case on wheel that holds 50 or more frames) which can fit in to my nissan sentra car and . I am considering to start bussiness as mobile optician. Will you u please suggest me from where I can buy it?

QUOTE=DiLa;89918]Chris.....
    I was a dispensing optician for 15 years. I have never worked in a lab. So I am essentially doing the same thing I have done for years. Fit frames, take orders, and take them to the lab. Sometimes I wait for them to be made and take them back to the customer..same day. I have a case on wheels that holds about 200 frames...like frame reps have. In the back of my truck, I have everything I had in the dispensary. I have an Opthalmologist who gives me referrals, but mostly I work from old clients and it grows from there..... just word of mouth. People love PERSONAL service. It is "pampering" to a baby boomer. I know, because I am one. I thought to begin with my customer base would be women.......I was wrong. Men love it too. Especially, doctors, lawyers, and business owners.
    This is perfect for me because I don't like sitting at home, but I don't want to commit to a full time job at this time in my life. I can get out of it whatever I put into it.
    I
    want to buy frame holder which can fit in to my nissan sentra car. I am considering to start bussiness as mobile optician.ll u please suggest me from where i can buy it?[/QUOTE]

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm wondering if frame vendors are willing to sell their product to opticians that don't have a store front. What type of brands to mobile opticians usually carry? I'm into opening my own store front and I can't get some of the frame manufacturers to hardly talk to me because I'm not open yet. I couldn't imagine what they say when I tell them I'd be selling out of my trunk. I'm very curious about this concept though. I'm definitely intrigued.
    -Johnny Cook, ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would guess closeouts, diverted product, or accounts they opened where they already had a relationship with the rep.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is an older post, but I have current questions for you if you're still a mobile optician. I looked into this about 5 years ago, got my tax ID numbers, bank account, business cards, etc., but have stopped dead short of quitting my job and going into it full steam ahead. I couldn't get a good grip of the business side of it. Did you take business classes for it, or just went and ran with it and kept good records for the accountant to figure out? I suck at business planning and need a lot of help on that end.
    Thanks,
    Eye vetran

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I need help understanding the business side of being a mobile optician. What have you done to get a better understanding of that side of it?

Thread Information