Thread: Light, not dark, polarized lenses.

Bad address email on file

Light, not dark, polarized lenses.

Lure-Eyes is the only sunglasses brand I've found that offers low density polarized tints with titanium frames.

I know Specialty Lens, International Polarizer, and Beloptix (photochromic) make the lenses I'm looking for: high visual light transmission (i.e. low density) polarized lenses. I want a really light tint.

The highest light transmission lens offered by Lure-Eyes is 30% ... this is bordering on too dark.

It's too costly to purchase the plano lenses and titanium frame and pay a lab to assemble it for me.

I'm looking for brands or manufacturers, like Lure-Eyes, that offer sunglasses with low density polarized tints and titanium frames.

Lure Eyes Illuminator lens -- 30% VLT
    www.lureeyes.com

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello chris_the_newbie!

I have a Website that I think will interest you. The company is called Kaenon Polarized. They are showing a polarized copper tinted lens with 50 percent VLT in plano. They have a new frame line called the Variant Series that is a three-piece rimless (looks like a drill mount) and is of metallic alloy -- does not say "titanium", specifically; just "metallic alloy". They also offer some Rx (prescription) options.

http://www.kaenon.com/
    http://www.kaenon.com/tech.cfm?editorial_id=7
    http://www.kaenon.com/product.cfm?ac...product_id=598

Hope this helps you.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-02-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Occupation
    There is another Website that I would like to offer you. They definitely have Titanium frames. I do not know if they have the kind of lenses that you want, but you may want to telephone or contact them via E-mail to see what their status is. The company is called ICE-TECH ADVANCED POLARIZED SUNGLASSES.

I take it that you are looking for plano lenses, but for the record, I believe that this company also offers Rx (prescription) options including PAL (progressive).

http://www.ice-tech.com/default.asp
    http://www.ice-tech.com/ca_titaniumice.asp
    http://www.ice-tech.com/armorlens.asp

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-02-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Occupation
    What the heck, I might as well finish ransacking my database!

Have you looked at Bolle Performance Eyewear? I don't know if their line of metal frames would meet with your approval, as you seem to be very specific on Titanium. They do look to have some lenses that may fall within your range. Check out these lens colors: Polarized TNS Gun, Polarized Midas and Polarized Sandstone Gold. Looks like they are spec'ing high Visible Light Transmission Levels, although their way of spec'ing it has me puzzled -- think something got confused between the product specifiers and the website implementors.

http://www.bolle.com/default_flash.html
    http://www.bolle.com/performance_eyewear/metals.shtml
    http://www.bolle.com/technology/lens_colors.shtml

Yeah, I'm still not sure whether I am looking at high VTLs or low VTLs. They give what appear to be TWO different LTL percentages for each lens color. What's that about?

Good luck!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-02-2005 at 04:58 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    It is funny when I get polarized sunglasses I find them rather dark, but when I do polarized prescription I find them lighter than most.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    Have you looked at Bolle Performance Eyewear? ... Check out these lens colors: Polarized TNS Gun, Polarized Midas and Polarized Sandstone Gold. ... They give what appear to be TWO different LTL percentages for each lens color. What's that about?
    Maybe they're photochromic?

Thanks for all the links. I'd never heard of Ice-Tech ... at first I thought their Armor Lens was Trivex but the Abbe seems too high -- 52. I'll email them about VLTs.

I forgot about Kaenon ... they do fit the bill. SR-91 is new to me ... do you know how this compares to other lens materials?

I'm willing to live without titanium frames ... if they're rimless.

Lure-Eyes is the least expensive, but Kaenon and Ice-Tech are using "advanced" lens materials.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_the_newbie
    Maybe they're photochromic? ... I forgot about Kaenon ... they do fit the bill. SR-91 is new to me ... do you know how this compares to other lens materials? ...
    Thanks for the feedback. I can't believe that ALL of the Bolle lenses are photochromic, and they all have that same puzzling specification of TWO different percentages -- still don't kknow what that is about. As far as the Kaenon SR-91 lens material, I don't know anything about it, except what there is to read on their website.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-02-2005 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    As far as the Kaenon SR-91 lens material, I don't know anything about it, except what there is to read on their website.
    IIRC, the material -- and maybe lenses -- comes from a European company. I can't find the website, though. It could prove competitive to Trivex.

Occupation
    SR-91
    Kaenon Polarized’s proprietary radical lens material, SR-91®, has qualities that rival Crown glass’ optical clarity, CR-39®’s lightness, and polycarbonate’s high-impact durability and safety. Encapsulated in this material is Glare 86, the company’s unique polarizing film.

The resulting product is so optically clear and durable that an independent testing agency, COLTS Laboratories, certified it with an optical acuity and clarity rating of 40 lines of resolution—the highest possible score. COLTS also certified Kaenon’s SR-91 lens material as the first non-polycarbonate lens to pass and exceed the high mass impact standards set by the ANSI Z87.1 standard.

With a frame geometry of 8.25 base, Kaenon’s models offer the wrap and rake necessary for full coverage and a comfortable fit. Some are even Rxable.

I found this in a recent issue of one of the online trade magazines.

"The Power and Cool of the Wraparound Look"
    http://www.visioncareproducts.com/37/eye_pow.html
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-03-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Chris something you may already know about polarized filter sun lenses and the inverse relationship of light transmission and effective polarization but here is Kevin's Version:

> (greater) light transmission = < (less) Polarization Therefore the closer you get to 100% light transmission, the closer you get to 0% polarization.

< (less) light transmission = > (greater) Polarization Therefore the closer you get to 0% light transmission, the closer you achieve 100% polarization.

This relationship is recognized as the properties of the polarizing filter have more or less crystal ions to polarize the reflected light which ultimately contribute to its color density and light transmission.

With this in mind, the effective polarization of photochromatics will only be recognized to the point of the lenses most light transmission or the photochromatic lenses clearest state. So even though a photochromatic polarized lens can vary from 40% to 90% light transmission, theoretically the maximum polarization it affords is only 40%. This is why we end up telling folks every day it is impossible to provide them with clear polarized lenses.

The science around developing a quality polarized lens is therefore to create a color or combination of colors which facilitate a controlled amount of ambient light transmission while also polarizing as much of that light as possible. There are several manufacturers that claim to have the recipe of success in doing this. Although I have not personally tried the Kaenon product, I was impressed with what I saw at last years vision expo.

Kevin
    Last edited by PAkev; 01-03-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PAkev
    The science around developing a quality polarized lens is therefore to create a color or combination of colors which facilitate a controlled amount of ambient light transmission while also polarizing as much of that light as possible.
    What color and visual light transmission (VLT) would you recommend for a plano polarized computer lens? (LCD and/or CRT display)

Occupation
    Computer lenses and LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) are a whole different breed of cat than polarized sunwear.

Since both polarized filtered lenses and LCD's both contain iodide crystals, the polarizing axis's (iodide crystal alignment) of ophthalmic lenses will often conflict with the positioning of the iodide crystals on LCD displays. This is why you can often recognize significant distortion using a watch, cell phone, or gas pump when also wearing your polarized sunwear. Therefore, polarized lenses and LCD's don't work well toghether. Depending who you talk to, airplane pilots are advised not to use polarized lenses so that they can read their LCD and LED (Lighted Electronic Display) instrument panels while also protecting their eyes from the sun.

As far as plano computer lenses go, the older monochrome monitors were a lot more unfriendly to your eyes than the newer color monitors. After a few minutes of looking at orange or green font against a black background It was easy to become disorientated to other colors when momentarily looking at something away from the monitor. The term given to this phenonemon and still in use today is CVS (Computer Vision Syndrome) Therefore specialized computer lenses gained popularity by stabilizing color disorientation which also diminshes the divergence deficiency caused by monochrome monitors. Dusty Rose was a popular color that we used for patients working on monitors with lime green font. When it comes to using polarized lenses on computers there are two prevailing reasons why they are not practical in most situations. First, the diminished light transmission recognized by the benefit of the polarized filter usually compromises the ability to manage other tasks at the computer such as paperwork. The exception is when an anti reflective process is applied over the polarized lens to improve light transmission. Secondly, polarized filters are designed to maximize effect at a 45 degree angle of the light source (ie venetion blinds: any more angle and more glare is occluded as well as ambient light) Most folks work on a computer monitor that is straight ahead at a 90 degree angle. Therefore, not providing the same expected benefit recognized as diminishing glare reflected off the hood of your car, road signs, or water surfaces.

Sorry for the wordieness but I tried to explain answers to your question as clear as possible.

Kevin

I know I'm testing the topic boundaries of this board, but I just noticed 3M offers:

Anti-glare filters for LCDs
    http://www.3m.com/ergonomics/mon_fil...ntiglare.jhtml

and

Polarizing filters for CRTs
    http://www.3m.com/ergonomics/mon_fil...larizing.jhtml

I'm considering these products for a couple of my monitors at home ... but I don't know what to do when I'm using departmental and research library workstations. I do a lot of reading off computer screens ... often under flourescent lights. (Note: I don't need any refraction.)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Chris,

I case I've missed it, what are you trying to achieve with all this?

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    ... what are you trying to achieve with all this?
    Is there a lens I can wear in settings where I don't have control over the lighting and other factors that affect the readability of computer screens?

I don't need a prescription. The sole purpose of the lenses would be to reduce glare from harsh/uneven light reflecting off the outside surface of displays ... LCD and CRT.

Occupation
    Chris,

From the context of your post, it appears your expectations will require "custom" eyewear. These are not found in isle 5 at Staples or OfficeMax next to the computers or the stationary department at Wallyworld. If it is so imperative for you to have all the demands met as you have indicated, the professional advice of a qualified optician will be the first place to start looking.

Good Luck,

Kevin

I don't need a prescription. The sole purpose of the lenses would be to reduce glare from harsh/uneven light reflecting off the outside surface of displays ... LCD and CRT.
    You could probably buy a filter for the screen and save yourself the hassle and expense of buying glasses. Polarized filters come into their element in the sun - for fishing or ski-ing (how do you spell that, anyway? :hammer: )
    You can also buy a spray-on diffuser for the screen that works well. Be sure to use it sparingly, and apply more coats if needed after it dries. Otherwise you'll get streaks. This keeps things bright and colorful, unlike filters.

shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    You can also buy a spray-on diffuser for the screen that works well ... This keeps things bright and colorful, unlike filters.
    That reminds me of a recent article in PC World about coatings on new laptop displays:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,118951,00.asp

It mentions a "high-gloss" polarized coating added to transmissive LCD screens. (Transmissive screens are backlit, as opposed to reflective -- outdoor -- LCD screens.) The purpose is to improve "contrast and eliminate the washed-out look so common when traditional antiglare LCDs are exposed to sunlight."

It also suggests that "LCDs with a traditional antiglare finish are easier on the eyes than high-gloss displays." Seems obvious.

Keeping things bright and colorful isn't important to me. And sunlight isn't an issue since I'm indoors. Essentially, I'm just reading lots and lots of text off computer screens for prolonged periods of time. I want to increase the "time until eye fatigue". (Of course, as is often recommended, I look away from the screen and rest my eyes once in a while.)

Thread Information