Thread: Newbie Needs Help, Please

OptiBoard Novice

Newbie Needs Help, Please

My mom has macluar degeneration. Her favorite frames are Silhouette that she's had for years. In the past whenever they have had to change her perscription they've been able to put the new lenses into the Silhouette.

This time around she got new frames and new lenses. However, these rest upon her ears and are really hurting her. I thought she was just overreacting until she took them off and I saw that her ears had very red and very visible lines. The silhouette frames are designed in such a way that they don't put weight on her ears like this frame does.

The problem is the Silhouette frames are 4 years old and the model number and size etc are worn off in spots. Add to that her optician has been unable to find her records so we aren't able to find out what the size and model numbers are so we might be able to hunt down a frame on Ebay or elsewhere.

As a rule of thumb in what sequence of the numbers and letters on the frames would the size and style usually be found on a silhouette frame? Also, would an eyeglass manufacturer drastically change a frame in 4 years or would we likely be able to find a new model frame that is designed in the same fashion? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Desperate in Austin,
    Mark
    CavemanJr@aol.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like they just need adjusted.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Agree, try having the glasses adjusted by a competent optician first. If that doesn't help, try bringing the glasses into an optician who handles Silhouette. They should be able to match up the frame based on shape and style. Silhouette does have a reputation for discontinuing styles and colors, so what you seek may or may not be available.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Find an Optician that knows how to adjust a frame. The frames,generally don't hurt unless they were fitted wrong.

OptiBoard Novice

Thanks Guys

Guys,
    The new frames have been adjusted several times at the place my mom goes to for her macular degeneration checkups. For some reason these new silhouette frames are different than the last ones and land directly on her ears, whereas the others don't. Thanks again

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are no doubt bent differently, therefore causing them to hit the ears.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS
    They are no doubt bent differently, therefore causing them to hit the ears.
    you are missing the point. The person in the drs office does not necessarly know what thery are doing. Take them to someone else and try again. It sounds like they are bent wrong.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually the temples should not touch the ear except for a small contact point at the very top of the ear. If someone has bent them down so that the hug the back of the ear, they don't know what they are doing. If the temple stands away from the head enough to push the ear out, they don't know what they are doing. If someone bent the temple down so that it looks like it is at a ninety degree angle, touching the top and back of the ear, they don't know what they are doing.

Most Temples can be custom lenghtened or shortened to fit a given individual.

Are you seeing a pattern here?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sorry about the trouble.... it's common

Hornfan, you have been given some good adivce here and you may need to find an optician in your area that knows what they are doing.

Sad truth is that you are probably seeing the best MD in 40 counties but he/she sees the "in-house pharmacy" (read optical shop) as a profit center and not as an extention of his/her professional services. Often the people hired to operate this "in-house pharmacies" are ill-trained or simply not trained. Many of us see this all the time.

Macular degeneration you say. Hmm? Does that mean a new pair of glasses with extra power added for reading or even perhaps a special pair of reading glasses? Sometimes such increases in power end up in much heavier lenses especially if they are put in relatively large frames.

I too like Shilouette frames, however I must say that the manufacturer and the expense of the frame generally has very little to do with the comfort. By and large it is the optician who's professional skill in the selection, design and fitting of the eyewear who makes the real difference as has been stated above.

Look for a good optician.

Thanks for your contribution to the is exchange. Happy New Year!:cheers:

OptiBoard Novice

Thanks Everyone

I'm only 14 and know nothing about glasses or frames or anything else. My mom fears computers and doesn't know how to operate one. She's really desperate and doesn't know what to do. So I'm basically just hunting and searching for answers trying to find out if there's a way to find similar styled frames... or what's the best way to proceed. I appreciate all your advice and help.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hornfan: While some of them are beginning to complain about it, most opticians adjust glasses for free. Boston is a large city with a lot of optical shops. Just take you mamma to one, and have them adjust her glasses. If it feels good quit now. If not trot on down the street until you get to the next shop. Whem mamma is finnally happy, take her home.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Good advice, Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer

Sad truth is that you are probably seeing the best MD in 40 counties but he/she sees the "in-house pharmacy" (read optical shop) as a profit center and not as an extention of his/her professional services.
    Man, that's the truth. Unfortunately, more and more optometrists feel the same way. It's sad and makes me mad.:angry:

P.S. He's a Longhorn fan from Austin, not an Eagles fan from Boston.

Thread Information