Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Walmart Commercial made me sick!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

This Walmart Commercial made me sick!

Now I know most Walmart commericials make us all sick, but this one was just disgusting.

It started off using a real emotion appeal by showing American farmers and clothing manufacturers, and then said that if you buy from Walmart you support those institutions.

I could not believe it. Walmart is the leader of outsourcing. Most of Walmarts stuff comes from third world countries. Walmart has held suck strict pricing guidelines from its suppliers that they have either forced them out of business or forced them to go to third world countries and in some cases *cough* Kathy Lee *cough* have forced them to use sweat shops.

What type of gaul can Walmart have for using these sick, disgusting commercials. Walmart is one of those companies who have forced industry out of first world countries and into third world ones.

Simply put, when they have low prices something needs to be done to keep the prices low, and outsourcing is what they do. However, most companies do not sit there and tell you half-truths like this disgrace of a company.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life said:Simply put, when they have low prices something needs to be done to keep the prices low, and outsourcing is what they do. However, most companies do not sit there and tell you half-truths like this disgrace of a company.

We have had this conversation on other threads but I believe it needs to be adressed again. Wal is the number one reason we have jobs exiting this country and going over seas. One of these days you are going to wake up and see the USA as the richest third world country. You laugh! What was Russia from 1945 till 1988? Power wise they were rich but a lot of there country men went to bed everynight with out food. It was said at that time around 10% of Russia's population controlled 90% of it's wealth which compared to the US wasn't much but compared to Russia it was a lot. A handful controlled everything in Russia. Now it's the Russian mob! Some things change and then, sometimes they don't!
    What it comes down to is that Wal is going to do anything to keep prices down if that means out sourcing to third world countries so be it. Never mind
    they are turning there own country into a third world country everytime they
    outsource another item there goes one more American job and another step closer to third world status!:hammer:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Don't forget Sam's CLub

How about the Sam's Club commercial, "We're in business for small businesses".

What a joke!! I can't think of a company that is more bent on destroying the small guys that WM & Sam's. The irony of it is that businesses shop there!! Of course, once they started selling tires, the tire guys didn't, and once they started optical...and so on.

I do the that Sam's "CLUB"(aka: big stick) is an appropriate name.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    The irony of it is that businesses shop there!!
    We all want low prices, don't we? So we all contribute to the problem.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    I have never shopped at Walmart. I have been to Walmart, because I am friends with the opticians there and they send us lots of customers our way, but I have never bought a thing there before or after they installed their optical store; however, I knew my reasons why and was not very vocal about it unless I was asked, until now.

I knew about Walmart's business practices, and truthfully, they are not very different from companies like Nike, Gap, or many other large manufacturers out there. The different is Nike does not show us supporting Canadian or American industry. Yes they show their charity groups and how they give back to our nations, but they do not show Thelma Burke of Kansas making a Nike soccer ball, because we all know that the soccer ball is made by little Joey of Sri Lanka.

It is not the advertisement that bothers me as much as the fact that I know that there will be people who feel that they are being patriotic and doing the right thing by shopping at Walmart. My hope is that Walmart stooped so low that even the village idiot will know better and take offense to this advertisement. However, ignorance is bliss and I fear it will help make this campaign a success.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spex-vet is right! If your the normal joe, trying to raise a family, your going to save money where you can. Where we live there is no WM super store. My wife and I shoped at a SS and could save $150-200 per month. That is a hugh diffrence in our monthly budget. I like you dont like some of their practices but when you can save on every thing from gas to a loaf of bread...
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns said:How about the Sam's Club commercial, "We're in business for small businesses".

It won't be the USA any more it will be "The USA of Wal-Mart" Where we strive to drive out all small businesses whether you like it or not!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ziggy said:Spex-vet is right! If your the normal joe, trying to raise a family, your going to save money where you can. Where we live there is no WM super store. My wife and I shoped at a SS and could save $150-200 per month. That is a hugh diffrence in our monthly budget. I like you dont like some of their practices but when you can save on every thing from gas to a loaf of bread...

Ya but is that LOAF worth the number of jobs that are going over sea's and making billionaires of the whole Walton clan?:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Crier

Jed: the Waltons were billionaires long before now. The sad truth of the matter is that my main concern IS my family. I hate that folks all over the country have lost thier jobs due to out-sourceing/NAFTA, but companies are in buisness to turn a profit. If they have to get the goods from overseas to become profitable then so-be-it. I like these compaines will save where I can.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ziggy said:

Jed: the Waltons were billionaires long before now. The sad truth of the matter is that my main concern IS my family. I hate that folks all over the country have lost thier jobs due to out-sourceing/NAFTA, but companies are in buisness to turn a profit. If they have to get the goods from overseas to become profitable then so-be-it. I like these compaines will save where I can.

So who cares if a little girl or guy in the Far East is only making a few bucks, as long as you get your clothes and food you don't care? You sound like Lattrell Sprewell " I need mo money to feed my family, I can't do it on 14.6 mil". Come on zig where are you from? If you loose jobs and they keep out sourcing how long do you think they can keep that up before we become a third world nation? In some parts of the country we are already there. Take a hard look at Watts lately?:hammer:

Bad address email on file
    While it is true that 3rd world countries are getting the work and are making much less than we would, remember that the per-capita in many of those countries is under $500 per year! People struggling to feed their families will take the job. There is an equalizing taking place, and we have to think in terms of global needs to really understand what's happening. In some ways, this is good for the human family in whole-earth terms. (Some people give to charities. I shop at Wallmart)

The unfortunate thing is that the gap between the really rich and the really poor is getting wider each year. The middle class has always carried the burden. The rich never will.

shutterbug

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug
    The unfortunate thing is that the gap between the really rich and the really poor is getting wider each year. The middle class has always carried the burden. The rich never will.

shutterbug
    This is the single, most important issue facing humanity.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    While it is true that 3rd world countries are getting the work and are making much less than we would, remember that the per-capita in many of those countries is under $500 per year! People struggling to feed their families will take the job. There is an equalizing taking place, and we have to think in terms of global needs to really understand what's happening. In some ways, this is good for the human family in whole-earth terms. (Some people give to charities. I shop at Wallmart)

shutterbug
    With the exception that they get paid still extremely poorly even in comparision to their standard of living. Compared to the hours that they are being forced to work and so forth. There are better solutions.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jed: I think that its great that you make enough that you have the liberty to feel guilty. Your right, I dont care if they ONLY make a few bucks. Their standard of living is theirs. Heck you can get a a meal in most of these places for less than 2 dollars!! By the way the frames that you sell, most are made in the far east, by some ony making a couple of bucks a day. When was th last time you told your rep you wanted to pay MORE for your frames so little Hoggie can go and get a BIG-MAC? And WATTS............ it's been a sh*t hole for over forty years and will remain so untill the people who live there decide to change it.:) Have a good one!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    With the exception that they get paid still extremely poorly even in comparision to their standard of living. Compared to the hours that they are being forced to work and so forth. There are better solutions.
    Such as...?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    This is the single, most important issue facing humanity.
    Please elaborate. There were three assertions in Shutterbug's quote, and I'm not sure which one of them you think is "the single, most important issue facing humanity".

Occupation
    The irony here is that by driving down wages here (the eventual result of taking so much manufacturing offshore) the WalMarts of the world will eventually kill the golden goose. Who's gonna buy all the stuff?? People making minimum wage? The avarice that drives all this will in the end be called to task. This is my issue with the "unfettered capitalists"--they cannot see the forest for the trees. Pity. This is why I tell my kids to go into the professions, medicine, law, education.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    ...Please elaborate. There were three assertions in Shutterbug's quote, and I'm not sure which one of them you think is "the single, most important issue facing humanity".
    Sorry: the gap between the really rich and the really poor. Now, a politician would say they are all the single, most important issue....
    :hammer:
    ...Just ask me...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    The irony here is that by driving down wages here (the eventual result of taking so much manufacturing offshore) the WalMarts of the world will eventually kill the golden goose. Who's gonna buy all the stuff?? People making minimum wage?
    Where do people making minimum wage shop currently?

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    The avarice that drives all this will in the end be called to task. This is my issue with the "unfettered capitalists"--they cannot see the forest for the trees.
    Damn myopes!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Sorry: the gap between the really rich and the really poor. Now, a politician would say they are all the single, most important issue....
    :hammer:
    There is no doubt that poverty plays an enormous role in crime and war.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ziggy said:

Jed: I think that its great that you make enough that you have the liberty to feel guilty. Your right, I dont care if they ONLY make a few bucks. Their standard of living is theirs. Heck you can get a a meal in most of these places for less than 2 dollars!! By the way the frames that you sell, most are made in the far east, by some ony making a couple of bucks a day. When was th last time you told your rep you wanted to pay MORE for your frames so little Hoggie can go and get a BIG-MAC? And WATTS............ it's been a sh*t hole for over forty years and will remain so untill the people who live there decide to change it.:) Have a good one!

I don't think I even have to reply to this vitriolic diatribe. It speaks volumes all by itself. WOW Zig did you re-read what you wrote? Zig- Have A Nice Day :hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    Such as...?
    Well you do have to remember that many of farmers in these third world nations were once independent. While they did not do well they still did better than working as a corporate farmer, but through false hopes, promises, and government squeezing them out they lost their farm to the corporations and make only a fraction of what they made before.

As for the industrial side when a corporation takes over the industrial work then it just takes the resources and gives nothing back to the nation. The nation instead should try to develop its own resources for itself and export them and only import the bare minimum. India is a classic example. After hundreds of years of imperialism it had nothing. Now they have begun to develop its own resources for itself and has drastically become stronger. It is still not there, but it is improving, as in comparision Brazil who has developed a very strong rich population, but its poor is worse off than ever before.

If you think that Walmart, Nike, or any of these corporations are doing these people a favour then you better think again, because what they provide them is way below the necessities of life as declared by the UN, and I can tell you that the UN format is rather low.

Now I just wanted to add something to the end of this. I am not trying to create a sob story. I am not an angel myself and do not do what I probably should do for my fellow man. What I am discussing here is how Walmart says they are helping Americans by doing this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm 2023 said:The irony here is that by driving down wages here (the eventual result of taking so much manufacturing offshore) the WalMarts of the world will eventually kill the golden goose. Who's gonna buy all the stuff??

That was my exact point I was trying to make in my previous post "that we are headed toward third world status". In some parts of the country you might think this has already happened. Your point of "Who's gonna buy all the stuff?" was well given. If the goose is gone what will replace it, the Red Bear? Don't think Russia has given up, it's still there smoldering under the ashes just waiting to return. Remember Germany went from WW1 to WW2 in less than 20 years.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Well you do have to remember that many of farmers in these third world nations were once independent. While they did not do well they still did better than working as a corporate farmer, but through false hopes, promises, and government squeezing them out they lost their farm to the corporations and make only a fraction of what they made before.
    Can you provide a specific example of what farmers, corporations, and governments to which you are referring? “Independent farmers” in most third world nations are barely, if at all, removed from the earliest forms of agrarian societies. If they’re not living hand-to-mouth, they’re producing just enough to trade with other locals. Not the kind of volume needed to be a target for profitable corporate farming.

As for the industrial side when a corporation takes over the industrial work then it just takes the resources and gives nothing back to the nation. The nation instead should try to develop its own resources for itself and export them and only import the bare minimum. India is a classic example. After hundreds of years of imperialism it had nothing. Now they have begun to develop its own resources for itself and has drastically become stronger. It is still not there, but it is improving, as in comparision Brazil who has developed a very strong rich population, but its poor is worse off than ever before.
    So your opinion is that the aforementioned “better solution” to resolving the problem of poverty in a third world nation is that “the nation instead should try to develop its own resources for itself and export them and only import the bare minimum.” That’s great if a nation has all the resources it needs to be self-sufficient, but the world is such that very few like that exist. Most nations need to trade with other nations to get the things they need, and the most common “resource” that many third world nations have to trade is manpower. Given that wealth is built on trade, you can only trade what you have.

If you think that Walmart, Nike, or any of these corporations are doing these people a favour then you better think again, because what they provide them is way below the necessities of life as declared by the UN, and I can tell you that the UN format is rather low.
    I think many things and among them is this: History shows that poverty in third world countries does not exist because of Wal-Mart, Nike, or “unfettered capitalism”, so it seems unreasonable to me they should take the brunt of the blame for it.

Now I just wanted to add something to the end of this. I am not trying to create a sob story. I am not an angel myself and do not do what I probably should do for my fellow man. What I am discussing here is how Walmart says they are helping Americans by doing this.
    God bless I have no doubt that Wal-Mart is doing what they can to help Wal-Mart.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    By the way the frames that you sell, most are made in the far east, by some ony making a couple of bucks a day. When was th last time you told your rep you wanted to pay MORE for your frames so little Hoggie can go and get a BIG-MAC?
    Ah, the ol' put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is line. I like it!

Imagine the public indignation that would be caused if Wal-Mart announced tomorrow: “There are those of you who want American workers to earn a good wage. There are those of you who want workers worldwide to earn a good wage. In order to ensure that all of our employees, foreign and domestic, receive a good wage, effective immediately we are raising our prices on every item 20% so that we may give every employee a $5/hour pay increase. Thank you for shopping Wal-Mart and helping our employees.”

I can hear the egalitarians' cries: “I want Wal-Mart workers to be paid a good wage but I want it to come out of Wal-Mart’s profits, not mine!”

Thread Information