Thread: introduction

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

introduction

I don't know if anyone remembers me ... I'm the poster "formerly known as" Optigoddess.

I'm still employed by LensCrafters (please don't hate me).

This past year, I made the decision to return to college to complete my bachelor's degree. I am weary of optical retailing (emphasis on the retailing part) and figure it is time to make a change. I have tried to get into "real" opticals ... only to find that they feel I am too "corporate" ... and yet, because I have always sought to educate myself and further my knowledge, I am not the "ideal" optician for optical retailing ... (kind of a "threat" IYKWIM) ... So, I am looking towards a new career path - hopefully, training and development ... I love teaching !!

In my LC store, I have taken the role of "recycling" for the Gift of Sight missions. This year, I will have recycled (cleaned, repaired, neutralized) about 2,500 pairs of glasses; hence my new optiboard name.

I've been lurking for awhile ... just thought I'd get "re-involved" with all you fine, fine folks ...

Merry Christmas ...

Karen

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Welcome back, I wondered what had happened to you

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Why do the members of this site hate Lenscrafters. I know plenty of great optical professionals that work there and enjoy it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's part of the Evil Empire

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Star 69

Why do the members of this site hate Lenscrafters. I know plenty of great optical professionals that work there and enjoy it.
    I dont think that members of this site hate LC at all. What they dont like is the setup of being an arm, dont know left or right, of one of the largest optical frame manufacturers.

Welcome back ex-goddess become finally a Queen.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I dont think that members of this site hate LC at all.
    And especially not opticians that work for LC.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Keep up The good work!

I love to hear about our Gift of Sight efforts out there. There are two of us who do most of the recycling in our store, and it can be tough to keep your motivation up.

Did you apply for any of the GOS missions? We actually have four people in our store alone who are going, and about 12 in our region. (I'm going to Thailand!) As regional GOS captain, I was very pleased with that result! I guess it shows how far our region has come in doing our part.

I would love to hear more about your and your team's efforts with GOS. Maybe we can help each other out!

Cassandra

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Comgratulations Cassandra!!
    When is your mission?
    In my city, we have one going to Africa (also going is the TN RDO) and one associate going back to Mexico (her second mission.)

Since the tsunami, I am sure that there is going to be a lot of extra need in the Asian/Indonesian countries that were affected. One of my favorite blog writers (transplanted Canadian) survived the disaster in Thailand, though He didn't know if his boat was ok as of yesterday. He often lives on the boat, but has been staying on land recently. He has said that the Thai people are wonderful.
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for making a Difference.

I will be going to Thailand in November. The area where the relief efforts are being corrdinated from in there, Phuket, is where the mission team focused on last year. Luckily I get a head start on the language, since my boss was there last year :)

This is my second GOS mission, in March of 2002 I went to Chile. It is truly a rewarding experience, and I recommend it for anyone wanting to make a difference in their own, as well as someone else's life. My first trip really made me see what I took for granted, and I am really looking forward to another chance to renew myself, and help those who have bigger problems than my own.

For those of you who work so hard in your stores doing the recycling, it is sometimes hard to keep up the motivation when you don't get to see the results first hand. Just know that the stories they share at visioning, and for the collection drives are true.

I will never forget the experiences I had on my mission trip. One such moment was on the last day of our mission. We were in this little sea side town in northern Chile, Tocopilla, and we were winding down. There was very little selection left in our supply of glasses, and for anything out of standard bread and butter range. Which unfortunately was the majority of patients we saw. The desert condition cause cataracts and all kinds of visual axis problems. High cylinder values abound.

Jorge, (he helps coordinated the Spanish speaking missions) came up to Mark Durkhan and I with another Gentleman. Jorge explained to us that this man had came from the very southern tip of Chile to see if we could help him. He had owrked as a truck driver for the past 15years, when he was involved in an accident. As while he was able to recover from his injuries, his glasses had been destroyed. So he had been out of work for several months, and being the sole provider for his family, and his inlaws, the family was in desperate need. The local community church had heard news of our optical mission, and had a collection drive to raise money to send him to see us.

They had no idea whether he would be seen by us or not. The way things traditionally work is the Lions Club has everyone prescreened for both physical and monetary need. We have a set amount of people scheduled each day to prevent the mass hysteria and confusion they have had in the past. There are reasons why our site is actually guarded by the civil defense soldiers. His story was so moving though, that Mark and Jorge decided to let him in. As we were processing him through, it was evident that he was a very high myope. The final rx was determined to be in the -12.00 range with a couple of diopters of cyl.

When I saw the final rx my heart sank. We had a very limited selection of high minus, and nothing really close to matching the cyl was showing up in the IMS. I went to the box of glasses that most likely would have something at least correcting part of the cyl, and what should I find. A pair of glasses that had slid under the remaining ones in the box, and it was only .25 diopters off. I took the glasses to the dispensing area where Kim dispensed them. The man put them on and began weeping. Tears streamed down his face, and in no time, those who were there to witness the scene were crying too. All he could say was Thank you, Thank you, over and over again. The rest of us were speechless.

So please, know that you are making a difference. If someone hadn't donated those glasses, if someone hadn't cleaned, repaired, or neutralized them; if someone hadn't taken the time to send them in.. then I wouldn't have had this life altering experience, and this man wouldn't be able to see, let alone take pride in being able to support his family again.

Cassandra
    (P.S. for you LC folks out there, if you insert a little slip with your store number in the recycked glasses, the mission folks will try to take a picture of them being dispensed to send back to you.)

Just wondering, is there any kind of GOS effort here in the US?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Domestic GOS Efforts

Here in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico there are several ways that we give the Gift of Sight.

First there is our voucher programs. All of our stores work with local serivce agencies such as Salvation Army, The Lions Club, The United Way, local missions and shelters to provide either free or reduced fee glasses ($50) and eye exams.

There is our two Vision Vans that travel North America that allow us to help larger groups of people at one time. It will stay a couple of days to a couple of weeks depending on the event. The modified RV's offer a couple of doctor's lanes, and finishing lab on board. We have been experimenting with "Frontier Missions" where the van is used in coordination with outside equipment to help hundreds of people in a day. I had an opportunity to help out at a Chicago Children's clinic where we examined and made new glasses for about 2500 inner city kids in 10 days.

The first Wednesday of every December we kick off the Holiday season with Hometown Day. We partner up with one or two local agencies, open our doors early and provide free exams and glasses for the needy. Each store strives to help 35 people or more. Typically we try to make it more like a party, with food, activities, and goodies/presents. This year I had Krispy Kreme, Papa Johns, Arby's, Chick-fil-A and Kroger all chip in with food, coupons, gift certificates, and gift items. This is also the day when the send out the list of teams for internation missions.

The each store also tries to perform community outreach services. Typical examples are providing vision screening services either at schools or health fairs, adjustment and repairs for those in nursing facilities, and other similar activites.

To promote our efforts locally as well as internationally, I have made a Gift of Sight bullentien area where we have pictures of people we have helped, fund raisers, events, etc.. It seems that so many only here about our international missions, and I know the majority of our marketing material showcases those missions that many people don't know that we do have a lot things domestically as well.

Cassandra

Thread Information