Thread: England

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

England

Hiho, England!

I have a student who will be moving to London this fall. She needs some information on licensure 'over there'. She will have completed a two year didactic/ theory program and amassed over 2000 hours dispensing (or more). She will have received a Canadian certificate level parchment, and will be licensed in the Province of Alberta as a Registered Optician.

On her behalf, I enquire as to the routes she must go thru. Aren't RO's (Registered Opticians)- that's what we are- (like a Registered Nurse is an RN) performing refractions in England? Would she have to upgrade? Can she dispense?

Thoughts, but more importantly, facts are appreciated.

From the Colonies,

Shwing
    Shwing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave re: your student in London

Hi
    I believe your colleague would have to speak to the Asociation of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) about the validity of the Canadian qualification over here. Unfortunately I'm fairly sure that they would have to sit the ABDO exams, to enable registration with the General Optical Council. Without registration they will not be able to practice as a qualified Dispensing Optician.
    However, in the UK, unqualified staff are employed as Optical Assistants in some of the high street Opticians, they are legally allowed to dispense, with limitations (Under 16's, registered blind etc..) so your student would still be able to work.
    Dispensing Opticians over here are taught refraction but tend not to refract in practice at the current time, although there have been mutterings about this for the future, we are not legally allowed to prescribe.
    Anyway the best people to talk to are our friends at ABDO. You can use the contacts link on their website www.abdo.org.uk
    I hope this is some help for now anyway and good luck to your student:cheers:
    Sarah

Thread Information