Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NBA Brawl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    Gee let me guess: George W. Bush? George W. Bush? George W. Bush?

Re the "AUTHORITIES" -- Kofi Annan as next commissioner of the NBA! Makes sense to me. He sure seemed to be out of his depth as Secretary General of the United Nations. Kofi Annan, godfather to Saddam's "Oil For Palaces" program! Spexvet, you're a GENIUS!
    Don't forget Bagdad Bob as publicist!
    ...Just ask me...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Welllll! Just because the NBA

Just because the NBA has a brawl doesn't mean we have to!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks chm2023. We don't agree on much but you hit the nail on the head. Why
    Hcjilson has taken on this approach is beyond me. It seems that he does not follow the thread or the response to the thread or the postings inside the thread.:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    chm2023 said:Agree with this; one of the unfortunate affects of on-line discussion is that people feel they can say things they would be too wise/afraid/cautious to say in person. It's not pretty.

On my previous post I commended you for explaining what my true intent was.
    But on the above quote I completely disagree. If I was face to face with you I would have said the same thing.

So what is wrong with what I said? I quoted 1968 who said:

Secondly this line about Larry Bird:If you think you are morally superior to Larry Bird and would act differently were you in his shoes, then “Bravo!” to you, too.

Then I went on to say:

What kind of psycho bable is this? Because "if you think you are morally superior" Whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt! Come On 1968 you can do better than that. If you can not intercourse with a clear mind and subject why even try?

What I was trying to do was to get 1968 to explain his position in the quote that was made by him. What is so hard to understand about that? Unbelievable!:hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 11-27-2004 at 10:08 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1968 said:Quote:
    Originally Posted by jediron1
    If you can not intercourse with a clear mind and subject why even try?

*laughs*

[Sorry, hj. I'm really am trying!]

Do you understand the true meaning of the word intercourse? The meaning of the word in it's strictest sense means: "Dealings or communications between persons or groups" from the Free Dictionary.com. If your mind was not in the gutter you would have understood the true intent.:hammer:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    What I was trying to do was to get 1968 to explain his position in the quote that was made by him. What is so hard to understand about that? Unbelievable!
    Don’t feign innocence, ignorance, and incredulity. If you truly wanted me to clarify my position for the sake of continuing reasoned discourse, you would not have “asked” in such an overtly confrontational manner.

Do you understand the true meaning of the word intercourse? The meaning of the word in it's strictest sense means: "Dealings or communications between persons or groups" from the Free Dictionary.com. If your mind was not in the gutter you would have understood the true intent.
    Look who’s talking! You are assuming that I’m laughing simply at your choice of words and not at how ludicrous you sound when you pronounce hypocritical judgments on others. Let me know when you plan to bring this back on topic.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1968 I give up you win! I m not going to lower myself to your mindless games! If you don't understand proper english so be it. And the quote about being "confrontational manner" you have way tooooooooooooo much time on your hands and your reading wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much into my quotes. Read the conversation for what it is and then comment. Stop making these Shakespearean diatribes. Unbelievable! :hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 11-28-2004 at 08:27 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    chm2023 said:Agree with this; one of the unfortunate affects of on-line discussion is that people feel they can say things they would be too wise/afraid/cautious to say in person. It's not pretty.

On my previous post I commended you for explaining what my true intent was.
    But on the above quote I completely disagree. If I was face to face with you I would have said the same thing.

So what is wrong with what I said? I quoted 1968 who said:

Secondly this line about Larry Bird:If you think you are morally superior to Larry Bird and would act differently were you in his shoes, then “Bravo!” to you, too.

Then I went on to say:

What kind of psycho bable is this? Because "if you think you are morally superior" Whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt! Come On 1968 you can do better than that. If you can not intercourse with a clear mind and subject why even try?

What I was trying to do was to get 1968 to explain his position in the quote that was made by him. What is so hard to understand about that? Unbelievable!:hammer:
    Whoa, take a deep breathe!! I wasn't referring to you specifically, but to everyone, including you and me, generally.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry chm2023 I thought you were pointing the finger at me. Sorry:o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Looks like charges are going to be levied against all who partook in the NBA (IE:WWFNBA- World Wrestling Federation NBA) brawl. According to the Today show police are finishing up there investation and will shortly press charges against all. Could not happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

To bad no body can pass around the hat for Latrell Sprewell, his kids are hungery. See he can't feed them on a measly 14.6mil so he would appreciate it, if you could pass around the hat for donations to feed his family. Unbelievable Spre!:hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 12-09-2004 at 06:30 PM.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Looks like charges are going to be levied against all who partook in the NBA (IE:WWFNBA- World Wrestling Feration NBA) brawl. According to the Today show police are finishing up there investation and will shortly press charges against all. Could not happen to a nicer bunch of guys.

To bad no body can pass around the hat for Latrell Sprewell, his kids are hungery. See he can't feed them on a measly 14.6mil so he would appreciate it, if you could pass around the hat for donations to feed his family. Unbelievable Spre!:hammer:
    Just disgraceful. Everyone should know tht arrognat millionaires shoukld be beyond the law. I mean all he did was knock a bunch of people to the ground so he could start throwing sucker punches.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW! I go away for a few weeks and look what happens!

Can't we all just get along???!!!

Besides, I haven't watch the NBA in on a regular basis in almost two decades. The college game is the only one worth watching. As long as the NBA, TNT and ESPN market pro basketball with a "Street Thug" mentality, why are they so shocked that the players start to live out their own press releases.:finger:
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla
    As long as the NBA, TNT and ESPN market pro basketball with a "Street Thug" mentality...
    What do you mean by "Street Thug" mentality, and can you provide a few examples of how it has been marketed that way?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1968 said:What do you mean by "Street Thug" mentality, and can you provide a few examples of how it has been marketed that way?

All you have to do is look at Allen Everson, Derrick Coleman, Latrell Sprewell ect.ect. Oh and should we forget the one and only " I need some time off to promote my rap company and record" but first I must go into the stands and punch some poor loosers lights out, Ron Artest. All you have to do is see all the commercials these individuals do to see how it is being marketed. It may be the companies behind the commercials but the NBA condones it with there inaction.
    Again it comes to greed. All these teams get hugh sums from these companies
    and like the NFL will not relinquish control of there said product.

Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    Don’t feign innocence, ignorance, and incredulity. If you truly wanted me to clarify my position for the sake of continuing reasoned discourse, you would not have “asked” in such an overtly confrontational manner.
    Look who’s talking! You are assuming that I’m laughing simply at your choice of words and not at how ludicrous you sound when you pronounce hypocritical judgments on others. Let me know when you plan to bring this back on topic.
    Another conservative bites the dust?

Ludicrous and hypocritical are both very sophisticated versions of name calling. Neither of which are deserved for simply being off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Just disgraceful. Everyone should know tht arrognat millionaires shoukld be beyond the law. I mean all he did was knock a bunch of people to the ground so he could start throwing sucker punches.
    Takes two to tango.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of this may be mute if the Detroit police follow through and don't cave to the NBA to press charges! But I m sure the players union is watching all this and will step in with all vigor to stop the injustices that is happening to there players. Come on NBA union get a grip and get back into the real world. Just because you have a bunch of misfits for members still does not condone what they did. With the union standing beside them it sure looks like the union is condoning there actions because as they say: "it was a life threatening situation" Plezzzzzzzzzzzzz give me a break, life threatening? Come on NBA if you don't get your act together you will loose all creditability! I m Out!:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :hammer: More wacky NBA:
    Latrell Sprewll the coach choking, I m not going to play my best if you don't pay me Sprewell, now has uttered profanties at a female at one of his games resulting in a one game suspension without pay ($178,000)wow! How long is the league going to put up with a guy who chokes his coach, says he wants a pay raise because he can't feed his family, salary ($14.6 mil per season or $178,000 per game) and if he does not get a raise he won't play his best. Now he uses profanity toward a female in the stands. The NBA could do itself a favor and ban this guy for at least 10 games to get the message that he is making a good living and he should try and show a little respect for the game and it's fans!
    Unbelievable

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    Takes two to tango.
    Of course. Charge the fans too. Doesn't and will never justify it. I was told in Grade 1 to just ignore them.

Occupation
    I really think we are creating monsters with some of these professional athletes. All too often these kids are given a free ride thru high school and college, simply because they can hit a ball or catch a ball or throw a ball, develop no academic or social skills, and then are handed an outlandish amount of money. And then we are shocked when they behave so badly. The poster child for this is Mike Tyson--here's a guy who made oodles of bucks for lots of people, clearly had personality pathologies, and no one stepped in at any point to try to get him on a healthier path. As long as he was making money for all these parasites, let him behave like a criminal. This guy made hundreds of millions over his career and is now broke. What a travesty.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    I really think we are creating monsters with some of these professional athletes. All too often these kids are given a free ride thru high school and college, simply because they can hit a ball or catch a ball or throw a ball, develop no academic or social skills, and then are handed an outlandish amount of money. And then we are shocked when they behave so badly. The poster child for this is Mike Tyson--here's a guy who made oodles of bucks for lots of people, clearly had personality pathologies, and no one stepped in at any point to try to get him on a healthier path. As long as he was making money for all these parasites, let him behave like a criminal. This guy made hundreds of millions over his career and is now broke. What a travesty.
    You are right. Some of them were raised on the street and got a free ride through college, and now some are completely jumping that level. Then they get tons of money, and I bet you tons of women, and now they do not know how to handle it.

However, that does not make their actions excusable. The NBA does need to find a way to take care of it. Condoning the actions doesn't take care of it.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Another conservative bites the dust?
    I wouldn’t know.
    Ludicrous and hypocritical are both very sophisticated versions of name calling. Neither of which are deserved for simply being off topic.
    If you read for context you'll find that I remarked that he sounded ludicrous when he pronounced hypocritical judgments on others, not because he was “simply being off topic”.
    Takes two to tango.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by 1968; 12-09-2004 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removed irrelevant political content

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    chm2023, letting ANY kid make it through high school without making sure they meet at least minimal academic standards is a travesty. The “monsters” created by that just usually don’t make national headlines every time they behave badly. The Mike Tysons and the Ron Artests of professional sports are just more well known that the dysfunctional people you and I might encounter everyday. Let us not forget that professional sports have been graced with the likes of Adonal Foyle, David Robinson, and countless others who are polite, intelligent, and upstanding citizens who give back more to their communities than most of us could ever dream of contributing. Although it doesn’t excuse his latest fiasco, I understand even Artest has been involved with various charities since high school.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1968 said:chm2023, letting ANY kid make it through high school without making sure they meet at least minimal academic standards is a travesty. The “monsters” created by that just usually don’t make national headlines every time they behave badly. The Mike Tysons and the Ron Artests of professional sports are just more well known that the dysfunctional people you and I might encounter everyday. Let us not forget that professional sports have been graced with the likes of Adonal Foyle, David Robinson, and countless others who are polite, intelligent, and upstanding citizens who give back more to their communities than most of us could ever dream of contributing. Although it doesn’t excuse his latest fiasco, I understand even Artest has been involved with various charities since high school.

1968 your right! But that still does not excuse the antics which are mimicked by every grade school, high school and college kid. They watch and learn. If Ron Artest can get away with it so can I. And your right about many more who do good things like Donavan MacNabb, Pat Williams and many others. But the problem is that a lot of kids like to follow the example of being "the Thug". Just look at Tupac Shakur - Thug Angel (The Life of an Outlaw) (2002) . Maybe that is who Ron Artest wanted to emulate when he ran into the stands.

Occupation
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=107912

Anson Carter taunted by fans in Russia
    Canadian Press
    12/12/2004
    ST. PETERSBURG, Russia (CP) - Bananas were thrown by spectators when Worldstars forward Anson Carter was on the ice Sunday.

Twice during a 5-4 win over a Russian all-star team, the game officials had to retrieve a banana or a banana peel from the ice.
    ''It's no big deal,'' said Carter, who is black. ''I'm not surprised - look around.''
    Carter, 30, who is from Toronto, is under contract to the NHL's Los Angeles Kings.
    http://ad.ca.doubleclick.net/ad/tsn/...0412121743240?
    The incidents occurred on a day when the English-language St. Petersburg times had a front page story about attacks on ethnic minorities in the city.

Such racial taunts have plagued European soccer in recent months.
    In Spain, an anti-violence commission has asked the country's soccer federation to begin urgent disciplinary proceedings against national coach Luis Aragones, who made a racist comment about Arsenal's French striker Thierry Henry in October.
    There was also racist abuse by Spanish fans at a Champions League game between Real Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen in late November, and black English players were jeered by Spanish fans in a friendly between the two countries in Madrid on Nov. 17.

In England, three men appeared in court last Thursday accused of racially taunting black soccer star Dwight Yorke during a Blackburn-Birmingham game last month.
    Also last month, a man was fined 1,000 pounds ($2,220 Cdn) and banned from soccer grounds for the maximum five years for also racially taunting Yorke
    I guess my boy, Anson, decided that is was not necessary to dive into the crowd and start throwing fists of fury.

Thread Information