Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Edge Thickness RESULTS...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here is a philosophy

• All the lenses in my price book are priced for a fair profit
    • I have a wide range of patients
    • I can offer any lens to any patient
    so, what do I want to do - create good profit today, or do a cheap job in order to keep the customer comming back year after year

I want both. I offer the best, second best and third best lens to each patient, and invariably, after a fair discussion, the patient chooses the best, which incidentally wont nessacarily be the most expensive

By educating the patient you pop your head above the crowd. Eventually, you get a patient base that realises you have your head above the crowd, and comes back year after year

So, do I dispense Trixex or poly - I dispense both, depending on the patients needs, but most importantly, the patient understands why we are going for a specific lens over another. That is the key

OptiBoard Professional Eddie G's's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok I finally cut down the latest 1.74 STOCK Lens from Essilor called "AS Fusio Crizal Alize"...

*****UPDATE*****
    ESSILOR 1.74 AS = 6.6MM

Zeiss is still the thinnest but not by much!
    Last edited by Eddie G's; 12-14-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up Best post........................

Quote Originally Posted by QDO1
    Here is a philosophy
    • I offer the best, second best and third best lens to each patient, and invariably, after a fair discussion, the patient chooses the best, which incidentally wont nessacarily be the most expensive
    In my opinion, this is one of the best post's I have seen on the Optiboard in a long time.

If every optician had a motto like this, competition would be based on good and or better service to the patient and not on low price advertising to attract customers or super brainwashing of the public by the manufacturers.

:)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I disagree with the esteemed QDO1 and knowledgable Chris R.

I think it is more efficient to decide what is best for each patient, given information that you have, then recommend only that option. They say "yes" or "no". If "no", requalify them and adjust your recommendation.

I don't find that people want choices, but expert advice, and especially so after they've been answering "which is better, One or Two" for the past half-hour.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by phurley
    Hi,

I have used Spectralite with good success. Most of them were high index, I believe. My problem is scratching and the thickness of the lenses.

My new optician gave me polycarb after I told him I wanted Spectralite because they didn't scratch.

He told me that they didn't scratch because of the coating. He gave me polycarb anyway with the coating and they are all scratched already after about 3 or 4 months. (I am pretty tired of the opticians anymore. I am beginning to feel like I am dealing with car salesmen.)

What lenses should I be using to get the benefits of being thin with the ability to not scratch?

Thanks,

Patrick
    Stick with spectralite. It's thinner and lighter in weight compared to glass. Ask for a garantee on scratch coating on spectralite and pay a premium for it. Just have it recoat under the garantee before the year is up

Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    I disagree with the esteemed QDO1 and knowledgable Chris R.

I think it is more efficient to decide what is best for each patient, given information that you have, then recommend only that option. They say "yes" or "no". If "no", requalify them and adjust your recommendation.

I don't find that people want choices, but expert advice, and especially so after they've been answering "which is better, One or Two" for the past half-hour.
    I have to agree with QDO1, people should have a choice. A good Optician will know his products, yes I agree, but if youu give them a choice , with your reasons for the choice, then the client will go away happy that they have got the best product for their needs at a price they are happy(ish) with. More often than not they will go away with the best and a job well done. How many times have you heard a new client say "my last optician told me I had to have XYZ lenses, I have never been happy with them", and for the life of you, you cannot understand why they were sold that particular lens. Well you can guess, can't you? In this profession it is so easy to make a quick hit by overselling. I try to look long term, a client coming back every couple of years is worth far more over a lifetime, discounting the reccomendations you will attract.

Lewy

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by QDO
    the patient chooses the best, which incidentally wont nessacarily be the most expensive
    At the same time, if the "best" choice isn't the most expensive choice, is there really a good reason to propose both to the patient?
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    At the same time, if the "best" choice isn't the most expensive choice, is there really a good reason to propose both to the patient?
    The choices just reflect my professional opinion, as to what the best options are for the patient, sometimes that includes an expensive option (or the most expensive option), sometimes (and more often) not. The only guiding factor for the choice of lenses given to the patient - is the suitability for the products chosen for the patient

Sometimes the choices are blindingly obvious. As we all know the choice for a patient is occasionally a more difficult one, a first time presbyope, where we are looking at CONCEPT A Vs CONCEPT B & C etc.

Price is important to some patients, and sometimes that becomes part of the comprimise, but still, within any budgetary coinstraints, I strive to offer the best product I can for the patient. I offer what I think as a professional is the right thing, and qualify my choices to the patient

Some people might feel uncomfortable about this approach, but they shouldnt do, it is just respecting the patient, and taking thier individual needs and wishes into account. The bit that most people miss is the "qualified" and "informed" part of the dispensing, the crux is that the patient makes an informed choice, and is part of the process.

We have seen so many "what is better Panamic or Gradal?" discussions on Optiboard, this is comming from consumers trying to wise up to our profession, and make educated choices. Personally in this example I think there is little the consumer can gain in terms of useful knowlege from such a question, but it does highlight to us as professionals where our industry has a short comming which is in consumer education. I would much rather my patients walked out knowing the limitations of thier lenses, knowing there is a way of solving the limitation Y by doing X. That is educating the patient, and instead of the patient going to the next outlet for the next dispensing, because they were dissapointed by Y, they come back to you to have X dispensed, knowing Y was going to be a potential problem, because we discussed it previously, and subsequently made an informed choice

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Shame......................................

Quote Originally Posted by 2Quyen
    Stick with spectralite. It's thinner and lighter in weight compared to glass. Ask for a garantee on scratch coating on spectralite and pay a premium for it. Just have it recoat under the garantee before the year is up
    You got a warranty for which you pay out front when you buy the lens , then you have it re-coated before the warranty term is up.

Why does everybody have to screw everybody else. Let people scratch their lenses and then pay for what they did to their glasses.

Thread Information