Ratings:
    Quality:
    Ease of use:
    Client acceptance (if applicable):
    Customer service of the manufacturer or distributor:
    Value:
    Overall:

Review:
    Recommending eyewear options USED TO BE more difficult than selling snake oil. Thanks to modern dispensing aids things have become much easier and more efficient to convey the benefits of lens features above and beyond standard prescription parameters. On the fashion side, patients with acute visual deficits have often found it frustrating to choose an appropriate frame style without having the confidence of knowing what they really look like. With specific attention given to these issues, computerized dispensing aids now have the potential of turning these challenges into a positive experience for both patients and dispensers.

I humbly admit my first impression of computerized dispensing aids suscribed to a belief that they would devalue the professional element of opticianry. However, that was before I had an opportunity to demo three different systems; Smart Mirror, Frame Cam from Paperless Practice, and I Cam from Vis Corp. Upon exhibiting modest interest and concerns to a lab rep, I was first compelled to try the Smart Mirror. When the rep walked through my door with a large case I knew it was going to sponge some valuable space in my dispensary. Despite the fact of finding it a temporary location, I found limited location possibilities due to power requirements for the monitor and CPU. Upon a brief demonstration, I found it quite easy to use. I was also impressed with the feature of showing virtual lens options such as AR, tints, and Transitions. As we used the Smart Mirror for about a 4 week trial period we received enough positive feedback from patients to give the concept further consideration. Although the lab offered co-op and monthly payment options, I knew there were other financial priorities that needed attention before we would be able to make any purchase commitment. The next demo opportunity I had was compliments of Paperless Practice with their Frame Cam system. Immediately upon seeing this system I welcomed the fact that I would not have to commit as much real estate toward its operation. The next benefit afforded through Frame Came was the fact that it could be interactively operated by the patient with a touch screen menu. This was complimented with verbal dialog from a cartoon like character named “Wink” which described practical lens options. Another benefit of the Frame Cam system was that it was certified to be used as an ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) tax deduction which would reduce the overall cost by as much as 50%. Although this system appeared attractive and more affordable, I was disappointed it did not have the virtual element of demonstrating lens options along with frame options. Upon conveying these sentiments to the Frame Cam rep, I was advised they had no affirmative intentions of implementing a virtual side of the Frame Cam system. My final demo opportunity led to a purchase decision of the I Cam system by Vis Corp. The Vis Corp I Cam system approaches things a little differently than the other two systems by selling software that affords virtual demonstration features while utilizing your pre existing computer hardware. One of the prevailing problems I encountered with the other two systems was that I always needed to be near an AC power source in order to operate their hardware. Since the Vis Corp. software also cost a fraction of the two other alternatives, I was also able to afford a new lap top computer for I Cam presentations. This enables us to be much more flexible in moving I Cam presentations to different locations throughout the dispensary.

When patients experience the I Cam demonstration I have found that they appreciate lens options much more as they have a visual reference of their new eyewear expectations. Since I have been implementing I Cam in our practice our AR percentage has soared to over 80% and our High Index material is on a steady rise over previous years. Although Computerized dispensing aids should not be considered an alternative to the advise of a professional optician, I am optomistic the ICam will continue to maintain a positive eyewear purchasing experience for our patients.

Would you purchase this product or other products from this company based on your experience with this product?
    Yes

Bad address email on file
    I tried the link but it was bad, do you have a phone number for more info

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I did a Google search for 'ICam Viscopr' and the first link that popped up was a link to this thread. :D

Try this link:

http://www.viscorpusa.com/demo.html

I'll update the original post.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Kevin,

Does the ICam allow you have several different frame choices displayed at once? Does it also show lens thickness of the patients actual Rx or just a generalization? Excellent review BTW, what an opportunity to actually demo all 3 products.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Icam enables you to view and compare up to 4 different frame choices.

As far as lens thickness, it enables you to demonstrate to the nearest whole dioptric value. It then exhibits the lens thickness comparision of CR39, Poly, 1.6 Index, 1.67 Index, and Aspheric.

Occupation
    Ok Pakev, I never do this :hammer: but based on your review I ordered the program and cameras for 6 computers, thanks for the good write-up.

Thought u may want to pass this info on to the manufactrer, optiboard should get some benefit from it.

Ibrahim

Thread Information