Thread: Silmo

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silmo

I attended the Silmo show last month, it was wonderful. It was my first time at Silmo and in Paris for that matter. It was a great experience and Paris was beautiful. Was anyone from Optiboard there? Darn...should have asked if anyone was going BEFORE I went.

Just wondering what everyone else's experience was like...this year or any other year. Also wondering what vendors have to say...was the show a success? It was for me. I bought a ton of great things and am anxiously awaiting their arrival.

hip chic

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Yo! I was there with Natural Eyewear in the Galleria.:)

I work in the booth in the daytime and party with students from Paris Art Institute in the club name "Budda" at night!:cheers:

Yes, I love Paris.

Bad address email on file

Silmo 2000

Hello,
    The last Silmo I attended for a day was in October 2000.I spent morning checking out for exciting stock lot offers,afternoon manning my ecole d'optometrie booth handing out brochures and answering queries of visitors/prospective students.My former professeur had invitation passes for "spectacle"at the beautiful l'Opera for that evening that was followed by silmo d'or award presentations ceremony and a grand party which I enjoyed very much meeting and socializing with the people in trade from different countries.It was a memorable evening! The event was great success all through.
    I admit Paris is beautiful lively city and the capital of the fashion,gastronomy and culture and it is the most preferred tourist destination in the whole world.
    Best regards,
    Optom

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

SILMO and others.....................

Quote Originally Posted by hip chic

.......................... It was my first time at Silmo and in Paris for that matter. It was a great experience and Paris was beautiful.....................

hip chic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Huang

Yes, I love Paris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optom

I admit Paris is beautiful lively city and the capital of the fashion,gastronomy and culture and it is the most preferred tourist destination in the whole world

I fully agree with above statements. Paris is beautiful, fascinating and full of fun.

But the SILMOS, VISION EXPOS, and more of the optical Dinosaus are fighting on their death bed and are fighting a loosing battle.

The cost to exhibit are exorbitant and the direct results are pittyful for many or most exhibitors.

Visitors come mostly because of the place where the exhibition is held., make a quick tour and then go sight seeing and to the show or opera.

It seems the social aspect has become more important than the professional one.

I am wondering how the upcoming OLA is going to do. In general it looks like the optical world any many other professions seem to ignore yhese mega shows that once were the yearly crowns of many professions.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I attended last year's SILMO and was astounded by how large the event is- much bigger than either Expo! I also enjoyed looking at the clocks/barometers that seem to share the show (only wish they were selling to the general public).

I'm headed back to Paris on Friday and I'm looking forward to revisiting some of the sites from last year (e.g., Cluny, the Louvre, Les Invalides...). I imagine its going to be a bit chilly, however- so I'm taking my Pennsylvania sweaters out of mothballs!

SILMO rocks!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete~When I was there it was nearly 65 degrees on most days. The evenings were a little chilly though. I took a 4 evening bike tour while I was there, I would highly recommend it. The company is American owned (we had a guide from California...which made it interesting...he was VERY informative). The company is called Fat Tire Bike Tours or something similar (I can get the exact name etc. if you're interested).

Chris~I think you are right about attendees of the show making a quick stop at the show and then heading out to enjoy the city. I heard this from a few different representatives. And I will admit that I did enjoy the city while I was there but, I also worked...and bought alot at the show! I enjoy going to the European shows because they are so sedate...quiet...civilized compared to New York and Vegas with the lights and glitter and loud music and girls in feathers and robots and whatever other thing they dream up to assault our senses. I enjoy seeing product that I probably wouldn't see here in the States at any of our shows.
    I am certainly not disputing what you wrote, I'm just giving you my thoughts on the shows in Europe...I, for one, certainly hope they don't become a thing of the past at some point in the future.

hip chic

Thread Information