Thread: thickness off on coburn 108ct generator????

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

thickness off on coburn 108ct generator????

Hey all,

I have a serious problem on my 108ct generator! When I generate flat curves i.e. 3.00 base, 3.00 cross...my thickness is about 1.2mm thick, if I generate 6.00 base, 6.00 cross on a 6 base the thickness is perfect...., if I generate high curves like 9.50 base , 9.50 cross my thickness is thin....NOW! here is the big question, I called my equipment repair center and they said it is diamond alignment, but it is aligned according to how you have the chuck positioned!!! so if I move the chuck toward or away then I have to re-align the diamond, but then I am back to square on, except if I excessively move the chuck it starts to put prism in the lenses *&%$#.....now, my question is it all has a center pivot where you sweep the whole quill, blade, etc......does the chuck have to be perfectly positioned in front of the pivot position???? I have moved my cut wheel up top of the slide back and forth and if it is off center it gives prism which i can correct by moving the chuck back and forth, hence back to square one..... I am thinking that it is diamond alignment, but have to get it perfectly in the middle of the pivot or it will cut the curve perfect, but gives different center thicknesses on high, med, and low cuts...I am confused though...

Mike

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Do you have the maintenance manual for the 108CT?

I suspect that you're not using the calibration fixture correctly. A misaligned wheel can cause exactly the problem you're describing.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

108ct

it sounds like you work for LC. If you do give Mary or Ron a call in #1162 they should be able to help you out they have a 108ct also

OptiBoard Novice
    If your wheel is properly aligned and you are still having thickness problems,you may have a calculation software problem.If you are using blocks with a differnt diameter than 50 mm and your software is set up for 50 mm you could have this problem.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmlafrance
    Hey all,

I have a serious problem on my 108ct generator! When I generate flat curves i.e. 3.00 base, 3.00 cross...my thickness is about 1.2mm thick, if I generate 6.00 base, 6.00 cross on a 6 base the thickness is perfect...., if I generate high curves like 9.50 base , 9.50 cross my thickness is thin....NOW! here is the big question, I called my equipment repair center and they said it is diamond alignment, but it is aligned according to how you have the chuck positioned!!! so if I move the chuck toward or away then I have to re-align the diamond, but then I am back to square on, except if I excessively move the chuck it starts to put prism in the lenses *&%$#.....now, my question is it all has a center pivot where you sweep the whole quill, blade, etc......does the chuck have to be perfectly positioned in front of the pivot position???? I have moved my cut wheel up top of the slide back and forth and if it is off center it gives prism which i can correct by moving the chuck back and forth, hence back to square one..... I am thinking that it is diamond alignment, but have to get it perfectly in the middle of the pivot or it will cut the curve perfect, but gives different center thicknesses on high, med, and low cuts...I am confused though...

Mike
    I finally got my hands on a 108CT manual. If you will e-mail your mailing address to me, I'll send it to you. It contains all the instructions you need, I think.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum
    I finally got my hands on a 108CT manual. If you will e-mail your mailing address to me, I'll send it to you. It contains all the instructions you need, I think.
    If you still have a copy of this manual, is there anyway you can get in contact with me and possible send me a copy?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by garryconn
    If you still have a copy of this manual, is there anyway you can get in contact with me and possible send me a copy?
    would it be possible if i could have a copy too?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr. Shanbaum;

you wouldn't happen to still have a copy of that 108CT manual would you? I have to visit a store next week that's having problems with theirs and I'd like to study up if I could.

if not, could I still get one through customer solutions??

Thanks!

Occupation

Manual

Send me an e-mail with your mailing address.

Occupation
    Well now that we are talking about this gen. I have a question. I spoke with some one from Gerber Coburn and asked him how often the wheel needs to be changed. I told him we only do plastic so he figured that there is no rush to get a new wheel, but when I told him it was 14 years old he started laughing!!! We are getting alot of waves from it! So when should the wheel be changed?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Well now that we are talking about this gen. I have a question. I spoke with some one from Gerber Coburn and asked him how often the wheel needs to be changed. I told him we only do plastic so he figured that there is no rush to get a new wheel, but when I told him it was 14 years old he started laughing!!! We are getting alot of waves from it! So when should the wheel be changed?
    When you start getting a lot of waves from it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow.. we used to change ours every one to two years... Got anything left in that Diamond wheel, besides heat?

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Well the front of the wheel is pretty smooth but there are still some diamonds left around the sides. I don't think the owner believes its the wheel causing the waves. Oh well his lenses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I admit, after using one today for the first time, the 108 is a fun and remarkably simple piece of equipment to use! It was intimidating at first, to have to use a machine where you need to do the thinking for it; however, I figured it out in about 5 minutes with almost no help (didn't know where to set the starting thickness), and fixed the thickness and prism problems it had, no sweat!

It was probably the most fun I had fixing and learning how to use a machine I've had.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by OPTIDONN
    Well the front of the wheel is pretty smooth but there are still some diamonds left around the sides. I don't think the owner believes its the wheel causing the waves. Oh well his lenses!
    I used to live very close to Naperville. What company do you work for?

Occupation
    I work in Wheaton and just moved back here. I did my time at LensCrafters now I work for a small independant place called Optical Expressions

Thread Information