Thread: VIP convert

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

VIP convert

I have a patient that has been wearing Sola VIP for a number of years. She is interested in a frame that will only warrant a 18mm seg ht. She has worn this lens in the past at that height comfortably but notices a the lack of reading area. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative lens (that you have converted VIP wearers to) for this situation. Thanks
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get by with this as a minimum on comfort all the time.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jedi, I would second Chip's reccomendation and try the Comfort or if you want to stick with Sola product I have succesfully put people into the Solamax from the VIP.(or try the SolaOne) Only lens I ever had trouble changing over to from the VIP was Hoya GP Wide...Good Luck!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Try the Ovation. I just had a similar situation like that, and the Ovation did a much better job.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Neither Essilor Ovation nor Varilux Comfort is likely to provide a shorter corridor length or larger near zone at that fitting height than SOLA VIP. For that matter, there are few "general-purpose" progressive lenses on the market that do. General-purpose progressive lenses are rarely going to provide exceptional near vision at such a low fitting height (18 mm is often the lowest acceptable height for these designs), and your patient might best be served by a progressive lens design specifically engineered for small frames, if she is unsatisfied with the performance of VIP. However, keep in mind that engineering progressive lenses for small frames will necessitate compromises in other aspects of performance, such as reduced distance or intermediate vision.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    (SOLA Technical Marketing)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'll echo what Darryl has posted- most progressive addition lenses still have an optimal fitting height of 22-24mm. While it has become customary to see new PALs launched with minimum fitting heights of 17-18mm, it it important to note the difference between optimal and minimum fitting heights.

That said, of the "general purpose" PALs in the Essilor/Varilux family, Ovation is going to be the shortest (if the patient is a myope, she'll receive enough addition to read the top of a page at about 10.5mm below the fitting cross). Of course, short corridor specific PALs present you with a few options for your patient as well. Varilux Ellipse is wearer tested down to 14mm, and AO Compact is also recommended for the fitting height of this particular patient.

Good luck- let us know how you fare!

Pete (Varilux Training & Development)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thank you............................

Thank you Chip, Darryl and Pete ,

coming right out of the Lions, Tiger and Alligator's mouth

= keep the height of progressive lenses higher as 18mm to get some reading comfort. :finger:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks for everyones input on this.
    In the end we decided to add some depth to the lens (nylon rimless) to keep the ht. close to the recommended fitting ht.

I think as Opticians we need to really asses the patients visual needs and provide them with the BEST possible options and not just a suitable one. Just because a lens can be fit at a minimum doesn't mean it should be.

Thanks again Pete, Darryl and Chris for reminding us of this.
    Last edited by Jedi; 11-03-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another tack

First, as Jedi well stated: "I think as Opticians we need to really asses the patients visual needs and provide them with the BEST possible options and not just a suitable one."

Secondly, we all tend to approach this area quite "stupidly", me included, by seeing one Rx and thinking unilaterally of a "best Lens" solution instead of solutions! for instance, a low set regular progressive can work for general purpose combined with an "Office" type lens for many other situations.

Thirdly, whether this person is nearsighted or not can make a huge difference; ie., can they and do they read with their glasses off? If they do, then then, in reality, the reading section is used for intermediate work and spot reading, so it could be fairly low.

More directly to the original question, as a dispenser who hardly ever uses essilor products, I have had great success with the Piccalo by Shamir in a variety of applications, some of which are short "B" frames.

We should think of ourselves as in the solutions business rather than the "perfect pair of eyewear" business.

Richard

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Homer: The problems we have today are too many opticians asses the patient. Those who assess the patient may be doing a good job, but the ones that asses them are horrible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great Assessment Chip!

LOL! I jus coppied 'n passted 'n lookth stupidish. :o

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    And some just look like asses when they type to fast. :)

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer
    We should think of ourselves as in the solutions business rather than the "perfect pair of eyewear" business.
    Wow, we should all live by that.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Furthermore ..............................................

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi

Wow, we should all live by that.
    Furthermore when you assess ............ customers, patients try also to assess..........yourselves.

Just think how much have you been brainwashed by publicity from the Zeiss'es, ESSILOR''s, HOYA's, SHAMIR's. SOLA's and so forth, to sell the products where they make the most money.

A successful brainwash let's you forget, or ignore the basic optical practice and theory, the actual needs of you patient/customer (who also has been brainwashed by above conglomerates).

Also do not forget that any of the cast and moulded lenses do cost the manufacturers exactly the same amount of money to produce than a single vision lens. (once the mould is produced and used for thousands of times the cost difference has becomes zero, also moulds are produced by very few companies who sell them to above manufacturers).

The only difference in price is, the weight difference in the material.

Therefore by selling one type of lenses more expensive than another, our dear manufacturers produce products that are sold at tremendous markups and profits. This in turn let's them spend a lot of money in targeted brainwash advertising which in return then influences retailers and their customers.

I am just waiting for the moment when the Chinese are catching on to the progessive lens markets to see some interesting and fascinating developments.

When chinese companies, like Moulin for example who now own some of the major European frame manufacturers, decide to produce and flood the market with progressive lenses at prices as you see them in finished readers.

I guess I could spin this thread on and on, but I can forsee some turmoil brewing in this field of progressive lens marketing.

Thread Information