Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refund policy

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Refund policy

As an independent Optician, what is your refund on eyeglasses? Inside and outside rx's included. Do you refund the entire amount for a patient that just doesn't like their glasses? Do you only refund a portion? Any feedback would be great, as we get alot of controversy in regards to our policy.

Thanks,
    Shelly

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are an independent Optician, what is an inside Rx?

If you have an precriber/owner or a precriber employee you are not an independent Optician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I meant if you have an Optometrist on the premisis that prescribes the rx versus making eyeglasses for a patient with an rx from another doctor.

Example, patient brings rx to us from a Opthalmologist and we make eyeglasses for them and then they return a week later either with an rx change(what do you do then) or don't like what they purchased. What is your policy? Does that make sense? I guess I'm not explaining it correctly. I hope this helps.

We never give outright refunds. We will re-make lenses free of charge if the problem is a bifocal height needs to be changed or a progressive non-adapt. To keep this from happening, we always have 2 staff measure a person's bifocal height, and we explain how to use a progressive. We even have sample glasses with plano distance and a +1.50 bifocal power in FT and progressive, for patients to try to get a feel for what a bifocal is like.

We've never had someone say they don't like the frame anymore. If that problem should come up, we would be happy to quote them a price for a new frame and lenses.

We have had a two occasions where the person had a problem with the fit of the bridge on their nose. One was a unibridge and the other was a metal frame without nosepads that sits directly on the nose. We had the patient choose a new frame and had new lenses made at no charge, since we should have caught the improper fit.

For the most part, re-makes don't happen too often. We work with the patient closely to educate them on lenses and options, to make sure the frame is a good fit, appropriate for the Rx, and fits the patient's lifestyle.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    From the context of your post, I am assuming you are questioning RX refund policies.

As opticians we are responsible to guarantee the new RX order is within parameters of the provided RX. Although there are many other variables, meeting or not meeting this accuracy test is what obligates or does not obligate you to provide a refund. If you or your lab messed up then you have a professional and ethical responsibility to refund the patients money.

Our policy is to only offer full refunds if WE messed something up. Sometimes I offer an option such as AR, Transition, etc. at no charge if they begin to exhibit dissatisfaction as a result of our error in order to keep the sale. Other than that we occassionally offer in-store credit to patients who might not otherwise give us another opportunity and work extra hard to make it a positive experience for them.

Regardless if you only offer credit, a partial refund, no refund, etc. your refund policy should be clearly stated so that the patients understand your terms upon commiting to their eyewear purchase.

Kevin

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Damn you Yankees is tight with a dollar and customer satisfaction.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    :p How do you think I bought my new boat? :p

:angry: And if you rebel folks had to pay $2.30/gallon of gas to get to work you would............

:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they're not happy, give them their $$ back and take care of the next guy. If it happens too often, you're either doing something wrong,or attracting the wrong kind of customers.

A few times a year won't kill you...

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Chip, good to "see" you again!

I don't equate giving away materials, services, or money (refunds) with "customer satisfaction".

I would say that working with the patient to correct the problem (and re-making a seg height, for example, is not exactly free) leads to "customer satisfaction" more than throwing up my hands and giving a refund. To me, refunds mean I don't know how to, or don't want to, fix the problem. And that's an image I don't want to have.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basically, we had a patient that came in and got 2 pairs of glasses. The rx didn't change and the patient was very happy once she picked up the glasses. Well, about a week later, her husband called saying the patient couldn't see and wanted to come in. We scheduled her in the office to recheck everything. When they came in for the appointment, the husband was also asking why the glasses were so expensive. I explained all the charges to him and he seem ok at that point. Well, after rechecking the patient, she was seeing 20/20 at near and distance. She still insisted that she couldn't see and that she and her husband just wanted to return the glasses. She said that I didn't help her in choosing the right frames and that she didn't like them. Wow is what I said because she was so thrilled when she picked them out and picked them up. I then explained to them that the frames could be returned but not the lenses(they had already been explained and our policy is posted in the office). Anyhow, you knw they freaked out and even went as far as to call the Optical board and all that. So, we did eventually give in and gave them a return on the glasses but took off a restocking fee of 20%. Or course, I'm making a long story short an much more happened, but you get the idea. I didn't know if soemthing like this occurs at your offices, do you charge a restocking fee? Do you not return the glasses at all sicne it's just a patient dissatisfaction? Or do you refund the entire amount. We don't normally refund the lenses at all.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Made To Measure ......................

The optical retail business is a .............made to measure precision trade ...................and not a Wal Mart or Home Depot were you just bring back if you dont want it anymore for whatever reason..

Same as if you have a suit made to measure and bring it back a week later because your wife did not like the colour of the material. Your taylor will tell you that it is just too bad, that you can not get a refund and offers to make an other suit for the same price.

The RX is made to measure, the frame has been bent to fit the lenses and adjusted to the face.

If the optician messed up the Rx it should be corrected until it fits, but no refund.

You can use an order form which you can easily design with your Word Program on the computer, stating that the patient wants this type of lenses into frame so and so. Let them initial or sign the form, just for your records. Whenever a refund situation arises you have something to back you up.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I give NO REFUNDS. Put up a sign that says CHOOSE YOUR FRAMES CAREFULLY....YOUR EYEGLASSES ARE MADE WITH EXTREME CARE TO INSURE YOUR SATISFACTION....NO REFUNDS. This should take care of it.As to warranties I charge $25 to replace single vision, $30 to replace clear bifocals and $35 to replace Transitions or poly lenses within the first 12 months assuming the lenses are not abused but only show scratches from normal wear. I will replace or repair a frame in the first 12 months for $30 if there is no real abuse like running over it with a lawnmower. I tell people it is up to them to properly take care of their new eyeglasses. Yes I exchange my progressives for credit with the lab. This works well for me and I have been doing it since 1996. I offer no warranty but tell the ones who ask that should they have a problem this is my policy. Never have a problem with this even though 2 Optometrist less then 8 miles away offer 2 year warranties in the phone book. Wal-mart is 7 miles away and that is no problem either. I take no Davis, VSP or other third party plans that would have me working for them. It all comes down to running a successful business. Ain't that right MIKE? I work 4 days and net 6 figures.WORKS FOR ME.:angry: :angry: :angry:
    Quote Originally Posted by shellrob
    As an independent Optician, what is your refund on eyeglasses? Inside and outside rx's included. Do you refund the entire amount for a patient that just doesn't like their glasses? Do you only refund a portion? Any feedback would be great, as we get alot of controversy in regards to our policy.

Thanks,
    Shelly

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you both for your advice and personal experience with the subject. I appreciate it and it's nice to know I', not the only one that feels the way you do and that has the same policy.Thanks again.

Basically, we had a patient that came in and got 2 pairs of glasses. The rx didn't change and the patient was very happy once she picked up the glasses. Well, about a week later, her husband called saying the patient couldn't see and wanted to come in. We scheduled her in the office to recheck everything. When they came in for the appointment, the husband was also asking why the glasses were so expensive. I explained all the charges to him and he seem ok at that point. Well, after rechecking the patient, she was seeing 20/20 at near and distance. She still insisted that she couldn't see and that she and her husband just wanted to return the glasses. She said that I didn't help her in choosing the right frames and that she didn't like them. Wow is what I said because she was so thrilled when she picked them out and picked them up. I then explained to them that the frames could be returned but not the lenses(they had already been explained and our policy is posted in the office). Anyhow, you knw they freaked out and even went as far as to call the Optical board and all that. So, we did eventually give in and gave them a return on the glasses but took off a restocking fee of 20%. Or course, I'm making a long story short an much more happened, but you get the idea. I didn't know if soemthing like this occurs at your offices, do you charge a restocking fee? Do you not return the glasses at all sicne it's just a patient dissatisfaction? Or do you refund the entire amount. We don't normally refund the lenses at all.
    Shellrob it sounds to me like you did the right thing... buyers remorse is no excuse for a full refund... i think the only thing i would have done differently is i would have not caved in on the lens issue and only refunded the frame...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks slaboff. Believe me, not my idea to give her a cent. I wasn't going to give her anything, but after she called the Optometry board, dispenser board, and the BBB, my boss felt compelled to do anything to get the patient to go away. It worked.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :angry: :angry: :angry: I would have suggested that she tell ALL her friends too. That way she could have told them BOTH.LOL:angry: :angry: :angry: People like this don't have any friends.:finger: :finger: :finger:
    Thanks slaboff. Believe me, not my idea to give her a cent. I wasn't going to give her anything, but after she called the Optometry board, dispenser board, and the BBB, my boss felt compelled to do anything to get the patient to go away. It worked.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've got to go with Johns on this.

Ethically, you are not required to give a refund in the case you describe. You were screwed. We've all been, and we will be again.

As a business owner, you are well within your rights to set whatever policy you feel is fair, and communicate it to your customer so they can agree to it.

Practically speaking, however, I think you can save yourself alot of angst, in general, if you have a very liberal return policy. You will always be the good guy, and while you may not want the screw-you-over kind of patient, you may be able to make something positive out of a bad situation. Even if you never want to see the person again, at least you can hold your head up for taking the "high road". And that kind of policy will set the tone for a generous, open, friendly optical, and prevent too much of a "us against the world" mentality. Any staff and other patients observing will be impressed with your self-control and professionalism.

Whatever you eat in materials costs is a lot less expensive than your cardiology bill after that heart attack. It's only money. Let the grubbers have it!

Quote Originally Posted by drk

Ethically, you are not required to give a refund in the case you describe. You were screwed. We've all been, and we will be again.

As a business owner, you are well within your rights to set whatever policy you feel is fair, and communicate it to your customer so they can agree to it.

Practically speaking, however, I think you can save yourself alot of angst, in general, if you have a very liberal return policy. You will always be the good guy, and while you may not want the screw-you-over kind of patient, you may be able to make something positive out of a bad situation. Even if you never want to see the person again, at least you can hold your head up for taking the "high road". And that kind of policy will set the tone for a generous, open, friendly optical, and prevent too much of a "us against the world" mentality. Any staff and other patients observing will be impressed with your self-control and professionalism.

Whatever you eat in materials costs is a lot less expensive than your cardiology bill after that heart attack. It's only money. Let the grubbers have it!
    here here drk well said :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :) :) :) I've had two people ask for refund in 45 years. this is not a big deal with me. I'd say if you get 2 or 3 a year look at what you are doing wrong.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: If you refund they are gone forever.NO REFUNDS. I do it right and I stick by that. If you change your mind,you pay.SEE YOU NEXT TIME and I almost always see them again.;) :cheers:
    Quote Originally Posted by drk

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's not confuse ethically and legally. The optical business has more and more of a problem with this. They are not interchangeable and I am not sure that we even understand the meaning of either anymore.

Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bill West (aka "Burning Man")

Having 2 people ask for refunds in 45 years makes my point!! What's the big deal ? You're making the six figures, right ?

...Unless of course your giving out six figure refunds.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the first thing that any judge would ask the patient is to produce the reciept for the services.

Here you go!

Put everything that you want the judge and the customer to know about your policies on the reciept.

This will save you a lot of understanding problem.

PS I once brought the wooden board that displayed our store policies to the smal claims court. It was big and heavy.

OptiWizard
    Just give everyone a concrete warranty. Once the feet hit the concrete, the warranty expires.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :angry: :angry: :angry: Johns.....I like a lot of your comments on here. How are you doing with refunds. NO, I DO NOT GIVE REFUNDS [re :bbg: funs] would take all the FUN out of it. I'm amazed that a "first class Optician" would feel so bad about his or her work that they feel the need of refunding the money. If they want to swap for another frame there is a charge[more work], if it means more lenses they pay some difference. If they change their mind they pay for their mind change.I'm not to blame for a change of mind. The problem is that since chains have gotten so big into this business and they have to offer money back if not happy, to cover incompentent help, and because the other guy is doing it,it has made it tougher on good ole Opticians, that do good work. Never had that at all before chains.TRUTH. been around 45 years. Been there done that! Regards, Bill :angry: :angry: :angry: P.S. I still love the work but, I would'nt do it if it didn't pay so well. How about you?:cheers:
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Bill West (aka "Burning Man")

Having 2 people ask for refunds in 45 years makes my point!! What's the big deal ? You're making the six figures, right ?

...Unless of course your giving out six figure refunds.;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I definitely didn't enjoy giving the refund nor did I think she should have received one, but like you said, sometimes you get"screwed". I've been where I am now for 5 years and this is the first time I have given a full refund minus the restocking fee to anyone.

Thread Information