Thread: Lense to reduce flourescent light caused headaches????

OptiBoard Novice

Question Lense to reduce flourescent light caused headaches????

I have been trying to find out if there is a lense that will help reduce the headaches I get when I'm in a room with flourescent lighting for long periods of time. I work at a school and at a bookstore. Both of which are lit this way. I've only noticed headaches in these two places and I always come home with one. It could indeed be work that gives me a headache, but at my other two jobs I do no consistently find myself with a headache.

Obviously I'm not a professional in the field, but would be thankful for any advice you can give. The only suggestion I have been given is to research cruxite lenses, which is how I got here, but you never mentioned using them for treating such a condition.

thanks!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by moodeous
    I have been trying to find out if there is a lense that will help reduce the headaches I get when I'm in a room with flourescent lighting for long periods of time. I work at a school and at a bookstore. Both of which are lit this way. I've only noticed headaches in these two places and I always come home with one. It could indeed be work that gives me a headache, but at my other two jobs I do no consistently find myself with a headache.

Obviously I'm not a professional in the field, but would be thankful for any advice you can give. The only suggestion I have been given is to research cruxite lenses, which is how I got here, but you never mentioned using them for treating such a condition.

thanks!
    Transitions are great for people who work under harsh floresent lighting. I use do the Transitions a lot with teachers, and people who work in grocery stores, because of the floresent lighting. Additionally, and Anti-Reflective coating would help out.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lights...............

Quote Originally Posted by moodeous

...................I have been given is to research cruxite lenses, which is how I got here, but you never mentioned using them for treating such a condition.
    Cruxite lenses was a brand name from American Optical, as were Softlite made by Bausch and Lomb. Both were glass lenses and came out a brownish pink.

In the old day's the only fluorescent lightning were the blue daylight tubes which can be a factor for eye stress followed by headaches for some people. Today many places use the pink tubes which are easier on the eyes.Find out if the lightening that bothers you is from the daylight tubes.

The pink Cruxite and Softlite (skin color) did compensate for the blue light and made it easier on the eyes.

As today's lenses are mostly plastic, your optician can easily tint your lenses in a Cruxite like color which then should solve your problem. If you wear glasses with an Anti-Reflex coating your optician can remove the AR coating in 5 minutes at the most and then tint the lenses. You could also add a UV absorbing treatment, which your optician can do, as the blue tubes also can emit some UV radiation.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-24-2004 at 01:19 PM.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Darryl and/or Steve can probably add more to this but, recessed way back in the gray matter, I seem to recall that it was the flickering of the flourescent lights that caused more of a problem than the color of the bulbs. I think Peter Wilkinson, ex-AO England, did some work on this and found that most of the flicker was in the spectrum below 500. Guess it would follow that blue-blocking tints would probably help tho they would affect color perception as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For some people (I have first hand experience with this) the flickering can cause dizziness and nausea. Both vision and auditory systems are affected. If you think this is a possibility, do an internet search for "Meniere's". If one is mildly sensitive to any flickering, it would be worth investigating as the symptoms can sometimes be treated.
    For general exposure to fluorescent lighting, I use lenses with anti-reflective coating, and I also have two sets of transitions lenses, (one that goes purple!!) which help me for when I step into brighter lighting. I still prefer polarized lenses for driving or long exposures in the sun.
    BTW: Moodeous, you are juggling FOUR jobs??? I am impressed!!!
    I hope you find good solutions to your problem!
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your right Jim. Peter Wilkinson did do research into which wavelengths flicker and, therefore, how we can eliminate them with tints. He mentions his research in an article published in Dispensing Optics (the ABDO's) magazine last year but is not specific about his results.

Regards
    David

Thread Information