Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential First Lady denigrates women and

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Potential First Lady denigrates women and

offends three different groups of women at the same time in saying Laura Bush never had a real job.

Being a mother, isn't a real job.
    Being a school teacher, isn't a real job
    Being a libarian, isn't a real job.

Mothers, school teachers and libarians take note.

Can the return to Clinton years of high moral standards be far behind?

To quote Don Imus, "this lady may be too crazy to be first lady".

Rep

Occupation
    She did apologize and admit she was wrong. Kind of a refreshing change of pace in my opinion. ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

At least with Teresa, we get a little entertainment for our money.

And lets not forget what her "Real Job" is... Spending her dead husband's money. God bless her hardworking example to us all.
    I do find her energy a refreshing change from her husband who makes Gore and Dan Quayle look like loads of fun.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    She did apologize and admit she was wrong. Kind of a refreshing change of pace in my opinion. ;)
    And you really believe it was sincere?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by igirl
    And you really believe it was sincere?
    Actually I do. She was clearly mistaken, she admitted it and she apologized.

As I said this is a refreshing change from the current Administration who is congentially incapable of admitting any mistakes or apologizing for anything. After all when you're perfect and don't make mistakes, what's to apologize for, right? ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How could she be mistaken? How could the "potetential" first lady not be aware of the actual first ladies' background? I think she should do her homework before speaking.

Vicki
    "W '04"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Who Cares?

I don't care about the First Lady. Laura Bush was virtually invisible for the past four years. Was that good or bad? On one hand, she never offered an opinion, on the other, she never offered an opinion.
    ...Just ask me...

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Nit picking

I wish we had elections that came down to issues instead of bashing the other people for once.

Occupation
    The truth is if you are Kerry supporter this is no big deal and if you are a Bush supporter this is a big deal. I doubt anyone is going to be swayed by arguing over this. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    We are about to elect the 43rd (I think??) President. We have never had a woman President or VP. And we get all in a knot about Teresa being one type of wife and Laura another. Yeah, that's the big problem. How bizarre.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first lady officiates at all dinners, white house engagements most meetings with foriegn governments, God knows how many associations and meetings she represents the U.S. both in and outside the U.S.
    Yes, it is a big deal.
    Hillary could at least be charming.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve

I heard that the Stay Home Secruity Moms who were not sure to vote were very offended by her comments. As a woman I was offended also. It shows me how out of touch she is and gives me insight into her family. As to her apoligizing, I really don't believe it either.

As for those who think Laura Bush has been hidden for fours years, what do think she has been doing? Sitting in the Rose Garden eating bon bons and having tea with her friends? She works as hard as her husband, just in a different way. She is just like any other wife, doing all the behind the scene work, not looking for the glory, just getting it done.

I do agree we have moved away from the issues on this election, and its a shame.

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with spex....really, who cares? I am not voting for her, I am voting for her husband.

Plus, if I was basing my vote on a potential first lady, I would rather have someone like her who is outspoken and knows her place, not a quiet stepford wife type.

I like Teresa, I think the media has unfairly portrayed her.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I agree with many people here, I hope the First Lady isn't the clencher for all of the undecideds out there.

First Ladies are important - Eleanor Roosevelt was very involved on a national level. I also think that, since the romantic presidency of the Kennedy's, America wants to see a couple that appears hansome and perfect again. Hillary brought being First Lady back into the limelight first by being involved with Whitewater then by Bill's infidelity. Irrational as it may seem to be I think we still expect the First Family to be a perfect icon of America.

I don't think Heinz is helping her husband win certain votes but I do give her credit for not roll playing. It takes guts to maintain your own identity while being part of a campaigning family.
    Last edited by Joann Raytar; 10-25-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    I agree with spex....really, who cares? I am not voting for her, I am voting for her husband.
    I suppose voting for her husband will have no effect on putting one of the most well connected billionares on earth in the white house. You're right Jana, it means nothing!

Plus, if I was basing my vote on a potential first lady, I would rather have someone like her who is outspoken and knows her place, not a quiet stepford wife type.
    Some people do a lot for our country very quietly. Loud rude Teresa vs a Jackie O... Hmmm... I prefer classy fist ladies.

I like Teresa, I think the media has unfairly portrayed her.
    "Shove it."
    "She's never had a real job"
    and Party Animal...

Seems a fair portrayal.

You are correct however, she has been unfairly portrayed as a democrat. I reference her previous husband and board of directors as evidence.

Regards,
    Scott

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When Hillary Clinton got involved in decision-making, republicans vilified her. Not because they disagreed with her programs (which they did), but because she dared get involved. They attacked her on a personal level.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Shove it."
    "She's never had a real job"
    and Party Animal...
    Yeah...and we have a VICE PRESIDENT that utters a seriously horrible cuss word on the senate floor.... what gives?

And yes... Spex is right, when Hillary became involved with many causes the GOP freaked out and made her life miserable!

What's wrong with someone who supports her husband?

Party animal? Hmmmm...and King George wasn't a drunk and a cocaine abuser?

Give me a break!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    Yeah...and we have a VICE PRESIDENT that utters a seriously horrible cuss word on the senate floor.... what gives?
    What Gives?
    The non existant camera on the Senate floor?
    And yes... Spex is right, when Hillary became involved with many causes the GOP freaked out and made her life miserable!
    When it seems that unelected people are dictating the future of healthcare I freak out... And that has little to do with my political leanings.

What's wrong with someone who supports her husband?
    Nothing. Just have a little more class about it.
    Party animal? Hmmmm...and King George wasn't a drunk and a cocaine abuser?
    Drunk Yes. Admitted it Yes. Dealt with it Yes. Personal question, are you perfect? Answer: No.

Give me a break!
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    When Hillary Clinton got involved in decision-making, republicans vilified her... They attacked her on a personal level.
    Sort of like GB is a stupid drunk, who sold out our country to oil interests, Enron, and Hilliburton, who is really on the side of Bin laden?

You're right, it gets way to personal with Hillary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    What Gives?
    The non existant camera on the Senate floor?
    When it seems that unelected people are dictating the future of healthcare I freak out... And that has little to do with my political leanings.

Nothing. Just have a little more class about it.
    Drunk Yes. Admitted it Yes. Dealt with it Yes. Personal question, are you perfect? Answer: No.

No.
    So you think it's perfectly okay that Cheney uttered some serious cuss words that was REPORTED wildly? It's OKAY? The vice president of the FREE world? Sometimes I wonder about you......

And to comment on King George's indiscretions with the bottle, I guess Mrs. Heinz-Kerry isn't perfect herself, given your analogy however, she should be!

And your No comment was just plain unnecessary!

Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    That such a stupid statement. None of the cabinet are elected officials. None of the Whitehouse staff are elected officials. The vast majority of policy makers below the cabinet and just sub cabinet level staff aren't even approved by the senate. Ergo the majority of the people developing policy neither elected nor approved by the senate, who cares if they're the Presidents wife or some other schlub?

Quote Originally Posted by coda
    That such a stupid statement. None of the cabinet are elected officials. None of the Whitehouse staff are elected officials. The vast majority of policy makers below the cabinet and just sub cabinet level staff aren't even approved by the senate. Ergo the majority of the people developing policy neither elected nor approved by the senate, who cares if they're the Presidents wife or some other schlub?
    First of all thank you for calling my statement stupid.

I do think you have a point albiet a very weak point. In General Cabinet members have a history of public service or expertise in their field... Not always, because many of these positions are rewards for getting a person elected. But in general people are QUALIFIED for the post.

Hillary had no previous public service record, and was a lawyer from AK. It is my opinion that lawyers are the last people that need to be reforming the healthcare system.

Mr. Stupid.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are correct however, she has been unfairly portrayed as a democrat. I reference her previous husband and board of directors as evidence.
    I don't think that she married either of these gentlemen for their political affiliations. She's a well-educated, independent woman as is Senator Clinton, and I believe that many men and women find that intimidating.

I would also hazard a guess that many of us have spoken out of turn and would be mortified to have it reported ad nauseum in the press.

At this point, I am ready for the election to be over so all of this petty sniping can finally end.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has it occurred to anyone that if Kerry is elected we will be responsible for the upkeep, Secret Service protection (5 men shift, per location 6 hour shifts) for life at all of the Kerry mansions both foriegn and domestic for the life of the family? Kerry's wife may be able to afford Kerry but us taxpayers can't afford Kerry's wife.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't all ex-presidents and their families get that? I don't see your point.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Thread Information