Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential First Lady denigrates women and

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that I read that Laura gave up working when she married the W. So technically if this is true, than she was never a working spouse, at least in my eyes. This would mean she has been out of the work force for significant time. Personally, I believe this fact could be easily overlooked by anyone.

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Has it occurred to anyone that if Kerry is elected we will be responsible for the upkeep, Secret Service protection (5 men shift, per location 6 hour shifts) for life at all of the Kerry mansions both foriegn and domestic for the life of the family? Kerry's wife may be able to afford Kerry but us taxpayers can't afford Kerry's wife.
    Actually for presidents elected after 1997 it's down to 10 years of protection after they leave office.

For more than that read: http://www.snopes.com/politics/kerry/secret.asp

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Other expresidents don't have "many mansions in many countries" concidering the number and size of the Heinz extates the expense will be in the multi-millions every year forever. That's the difference. And yes we must give separate protection to each estate so that it will be "in readiness should Madam Heinz deside to visit the rivera on the spur of the moment.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    I may be mistaken, but I thought that I read that Laura gave up working when she married the W. So technically if this is true, than she was never a working spouse, at least in my eyes. This would mean she has been out of the work force for significant time. Personally, I believe this fact could be easily overlooked by anyone.
    Even if she were right on a technicality, it's kinda like the pot calling the kettle black.

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    Other expresidents don't have "many mansions in many countries" concidering the number and size of the Heinz extates the expense will be in the multi-millions every year forever. That's the difference. And yes we must give separate protection to each estate so that it will be "in readiness should Madam Heinz deside to visit the rivera on the spur of the moment.
    I think the snoops article speaks fairly well to this point. The 'internet legend' you quote has been fairly well debunked in a number of places, including in print in some of the more conservative portions of my state (Sacaramento Bee).

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    First of all thank you for calling my statement stupid.

I do think you have a point albiet a very weak point. In General Cabinet members have a history of public service or expertise in their field... Not always, because many of these positions are rewards for getting a person elected. But in general people are QUALIFIED for the post.

Hillary had no previous public service record, and was a lawyer from AK. It is my opinion that lawyers are the last people that need to be reforming the healthcare system.
    Christie Todd Whitman. Tom Ridge. No direct experience (or in Whitman's case indirect) in the department they were chosen to head.

Nancy Reagan operating as Ron's de facto chief of staff.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Blake: Have you ever been in charge of maintaining a household and/or a child for any period of time. Despite Gloria Stienman's rediculous liberal opinions of working mothers, it is one of the most important demanding full time (and full time has a whole new meaning here) jobs on the earth.

Just a couple of hours of baby sitting small children is about all the "work" I can stand.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    When John Heinz died, leaving his wife an incredibly wealthy woman, she could have taken her bucks and elected to lead a life of leisure, residing in NYC, Paris, the usual haunts of Euro-trash. She decided to live in Pittsburgh. And, she elected to take the reins of a huge philantrophic business--the Heinz endowments are among the most respected in country--in other words, make her life as meaningful as possible. Yeah, yeah, I know being a mom is a noble job--speaking as one; and I am sure being a librarian is a noble calling (not to mention one that must make her nuts with the barely literate W). However, I believe what Teresa was saying, admittedly bluntly, is that her life/work experience is significantly different that Laura Bush's and as such, she would not be the demure first lady. And I say good for her.

(I find some of this Teresa bashing so transparent--she is bashed for marrying up to John Heinz, then she is bashed for marrying down, to John Kerry. Jeepers, what's a girl to do??);)

Quote Originally Posted by chm2023
    When John Heinz died, leaving his wife an incredibly wealthy woman, she could have taken her bucks and elected to lead a life of leisure, residing in NYC, Paris, the usual haunts of Euro-trash. She decided to live in Pittsburgh. And, she elected to take the reins of a huge philantrophic business--the Heinz endowments are among the most respected in country--in other words, make her life as meaningful as possible.
    I suppose she has a private jet to make sure she stays in pittsburg most of the time. And I suppose she needs it along with her mansions around the world to do charity work. She could afford to have the Euro trash fly to her of course:) .

Yeah, yeah, I know being a mom is a noble job--speaking as one; and I am sure being a librarian is a noble calling (not to mention one that must make her nuts with the barely literate W). However, I believe what Teresa was saying, admittedly bluntly, is that her life/work experience is significantly different that Laura Bush's and as such, she would not be the demure first lady. And I say good for her.
    Nope she didn't say that, she said "Laura never had a real job", to which I say "shove it".

Jeepers, what's a girl to do??)
    Get a real Job?;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And she publicly apologized, something that our esteemed VP refused to do. President Bush doesn't have to apologize because he can't remember any mistakes he's made while in office. Go figure.

Occupation

You go girl!!!

It's interesting that the big stories from Fox, RNC et al are this and the Cheney lesbian daughter thing. Better than talking about the tons of explosives and disintergrating Iraqi conditions and lack of flu vaccine and lack-luster job numbers and ballooning deficit. Reminds one of the Roman emperors, keep those circuses going and the dim-witted masses will tow the line.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was over at the local Kerry/Edwards office last night and things were hoppin'! Sadly, they ran out of the "Retired Hippies for Kerry/Edwards" buttons I was looking for, but my husband did find a "Beer Drinkers..." one and my son has a couple of "Students for..."buttons. Ben is so very excited to be voting in his very first election.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cheeny said nothing to appologise for.
    \
    Kerry is lying about the weapons stockpile, the 101st says it was not there when they arrived. Just a bunch of empty crates with French and German writing on them. Lots of truck tire and boot prints.

Occupation
    Cheeny said nothing to appologise for.
    \
    Kerry is lying about the weapons stockpile, the 101st says it was not there when they arrived. Just a bunch of empty crates with French and German writing on them. Lots of truck tire and boot prints.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/27/politics/27bomb.html

The commander of the unit says otherwise.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article....rticle_id=9673

As do the Iraqi officials.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=195036

As does the IAEA.

So either Kerry and the unit commander and the Iraqi government and the IAEA are lying. Or the administration is. Gee, if only there were a track record to help me decide who to believe....:hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I was over at the local Kerry/Edwards office last night and things were hoppin'! Sadly, they ran out of the "Retired Hippies for Kerry/Edwards" buttons I was looking for, but my husband did find a "Beer Drinkers..." one and my son has a couple of "Students for..."buttons. Ben is so very excited to be voting in his very first election.
    My mother-in-law has a Kerry sign in her yard. It's the only sign on the street--there had been many Bush signs and many Kerry signs, but then there was an epidemic of sign "accidents". Hers is the only one left standing, she maintains, because no one wants to vandalize a really old (96) lady!!!

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/27/politics/27bomb.html

The commander of the unit says otherwise.
    I love the following line from the above article:

By yesterday afternoon Mr. Bush's aides had moderated their view, saying it was a "mystery" when the explosives disappeared and that Mr. Bush did not want to comment on the matter until the facts were known.
    Why would he wait for fact in this particular case? It's a radical departure for the administration and can only be a good sign.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

bumper sticker

The word "Iraq" is Arabic for "Viet Nam"
    ...Just ask me...

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    It's the only sign on the street--there had been many Bush signs and many Kerry signs, but then there was an epidemic of sign "accidents".
    This is a very disturbing trend that seems to have accelerated in recent elections. A local paper reported, in the police blotter section, that a number of political signs had been burned in place along a nearby street. Political bumper stickers on local cars with the message crossed out with what looks like Sharpie marker. Maybe this is what passes for political debate now. I guess it's a symptom of the highly polarized electorate and think that it ceratinly doesn't hold out much hope for a reconciliation in the near term. It's a damn shame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    The word "Iraq" is Arabic for "Viet Nam"
    I saw one yesterday that said "IRAQ! The 51st State!"
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    I saw one yesterday that said "IRAQ! The 51st State!"
    My favorites: "If you can read this, you're not the president" and

"We're all wearing the blue dress now."

I don't do bumper stickers, always figure that people behind me on the freeway have no real interest in what I have to say, but some of these are really comical.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The First Lady put her family and children ahead of her career and remained in the home. This is as it should be.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    The First Lady put her family and children ahead of her career and remained in the home. This is as it should be.
    Thus spake Zarathustra.;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thus spake GOD!

Opti-Lurker
    Occupation
    Thus spake GOD!
    Gee, I've read the Koran a couple of times and I seem to have missed that part. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    And she publicly apologized, something that our esteemed VP refused to do. President Bush doesn't have to apologize because he can't remember any mistakes he's made while in office. Go figure.
    She said it on the record, Cheney did not.

Thread Information