Thread: Varilux Liberty - Progressive in Disguise ? ? ?

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Question Varilux Liberty - Progressive in Disguise ? ? ?

Who has used a Varilux Liberty ? Is this not a progressive? When you run it down a lensometer we have found that it is very progressive. Reads just like any other (especially Ellispse). Why is there intermediate ? Seems to be just as much. Who else has anything to say about this. Is this a marketing hoax to disguise a short corridor as something new. Essilor reps, we have already heard you. Now lets hear the people. The OptiBoard people!;)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The liberty has been a great lens. In the last few weeks I've put 4 previous progressive non adapts in the lens and they love it. One prefered it to the comfort, larger reading area (he was a FT wearer before). And the 3 that never wore a bifocal before seemed to adjust quicker than a first time comfort wearer.

I see it as a great bridge lens for the new presbyope who has a low add and the intermediate is not critical. And it is outstanding in the FT wearer who wants the progressive, again I would use it as a bridge, next lens being a comfort.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The way I understand it is that it is a progressive, just one that is designed to be more successful for current flat top wearer and previous progresive failures. There seems to be less "swiminess" which is a complaint of converters, a larger reading area and very clear distance at the 180. I have an account that had tried several different PALs with no success and put this on the patient and he loved it.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by skirk1975

Is this a marketing hoax to disguise a short corridor as something new. Essilor reps, we have already heard you. Now lets hear the people. The OptiBoard people!;)
    As far a I know and learned, they are trying to get a larger portion of the regular flat top users, which are 55% of all multifocas, to change over to this lens.

If the reading area is so good, then why is this just a conversion lens from ft wearers? Why not for first time wearers or current wearers??

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Although I could be considered an "Essilor rep," I thought it might be useful to briefly describe the design features of Varilux Liberty.

In short, it is designed to have a distinct reading area that can be quickly recognized by the bifocal wearer- while avoiding the peripheral distortion to which bifocal wearers are particularly sensitive. Therefore, it is not overly wide nor overly soft. It is a combination of the two that is called "Instant Reading Power."

Since the last of the Baby Boomers turned 40 this year, continued growth in the PAL market is going to have to come from presbyopes who did not initially choose to wear PALs. Fortunately, a number of them are beginning to notice the lack of an intermediate in their bifocals, so they are prime candidates for conversion to PALs.

Varilux Liberty is not a particularly short design (actually, its a bit longer than Varilux Comfort). This is because the intermediate zone is the primary feature that is being offered to the bifocal wearer.

Can you convert bifocal wearers with other PALs? Of course you can. Varilux Liberty has been specifically designed to promote adaptation among this specialized group of patients, however, and Essilor is hoping to assist the eye care practitioner in the continued growth of his/her PAL sales.

As karen related, the initial reports I've had from practitioners who are using the product have been quite positive.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan

If the reading area is so good, then why is this just a conversion lens from ft wearers? Why not for first time wearers or current wearers??
    First time wearers with a low addition have no problems adapting unless they are in a profession that requires a large reading part.

People who are spoiled with a large clear reading area and or don't like the distortion that comes with progressive lenses can and will not adapt to progressive lenses. Therefore there are still plenty, actually more people wearing flat tops than progressives.

I guess what they are trying to do is to give it a shot to conquer the flat top market with this new lens.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin

Varilux Liberty is not a particularly short design (actually, its a bit longer than Varilux Comfort). This is because the intermediate zone is the primary feature that is being offered to the bifocal wearer.
    Pete,

Can you please explain how you can achieve a progressive part that is longer than a Varilux Comfort without any distortion on the lens?

Bad address email on file
    if we could have a diagram of the layout of the corridors i think that would clear up alot of questions... i have fit 2 patients with the lens and they are very happy with them

This sounds like a lens of choice that is better than the comfort or panamic. Why would you want to sell anything else if the Liberty is so wide of reading and almost no distortion?

Occupation

Almost.....................................

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan

Why would you want to sell anything else if the Liberty is so wide of reading and almost no distortion?
    In my book, any progressive curve on a spherical plus side has to have distortion, specially when you go to an add of over +1.50.

When the progressive area progresses from the base curve to the full addition, you will get lateral distortion for the whole length of the progression which is 19mm.

Thread Information