Thread: Airlock Rimless Glasses by Marchon

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Airlock Rimless Glasses by Marchon

I'm about to go buy a pair. They look ok, and they claim that their pressure design is better than screws in terms of not cracking lenses.

I should have asked this sooner since I'm moving to a new job, switching insurance later, and gotz 2 look nice for the ladiez .

What do you all think of Airlocks by Marchon? Any problems encountered?

I'm also going to get Transition lenses and Anti-Reflective Coating. I wonder if all those coatings interfere with each other....

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    AR and Transitions have a very good compatibility. The AR coating actually preserves the transitions over time.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All that you mentioned are quality products. Go for it.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Caring for eyewear

I have one recommendation; once you recieve your new eyewear, drilled rimless frames do require a bit more caring for. There are instructions on Marchon's website: http://www.marchon.com/MarchonWeb200...ecare2002.html

Another hint, when you are cleaning your glasses, try not to hold them by the metal pieces while you wipe the lenses. The slight pulling on the frame may cause the eyewear to losen up prematurely. The snap type of drill mounts stay tight a long time but they can loosen up. Instead, hold one end of the cloth in each hand and hold the lens you are wiping. It is awkward at first but puts less strain on the assembly.

Bad address email on file
    I agree with everyone here, but make sure that your lenses are made out of trivex... polycarbonate over time will crack or the holes will get bigger.. what is your prescription?

Occupation
    Not sure which model you are looking at.........
    The Airlocks I have experience with selling and mounting come in two basic models with assorted shapes and colors. The flex hinge (I believe model 720) requires two hands to put eyewear on and take off and stay on the face very well for folks with active lifestyles. However, we have seen right handed patients break left temples with greater frequency since they want to remove them with their right hand only. Vice versa for left handed folks.

The conventional hinge (model 750) can be put on and taken off with one hand. They need to be fit a little tighter to hold onto the face but we have less warranty issues that follow this model.

I am not advocating irresponsible eyewear care by ripping frames off with one hand but it is something that is indeed one of the demands patients put their eyewear through on a daily basis and something we need to consider when recommending eyewear.

Kevin

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by slaboff
    I agree with everyone here, but make sure that your lenses are made out of trivex... polycarbonate over time will crack or the holes will get bigger.. what is your prescription?
    I'm ordering a test pair of the 750s. I am wondering if the 720s stay on better though. Dunno.

As for Trivex, the optician said (I think she was an optician) that their lab can't order Trivex and that they can only use the polycarbonate they always use. I guess it's ok if it's good poly carbonate.

Occupation
    Don't forget other lens material alternatives such as high index !

Although polycarb and trivex have good impact resistance and afford greater forgiveness during the manufacturing process, the holes have potential of ovaling out due to the inherent flexible properties of these materials.

When properly edged, drilled, mounted, and cared for, High index lens materials can offer cleaner edges, holes that won't be compromised by ovaling and cracking, and a collateral benefit of a thinner profile to improve cosmetics and comfort.

Modern high index materials such as MR-10 also provides increased flex tensil strenghth to rival the safety benefits of poly and trivex.

my .02 again

Kevin

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    What are the cost differences?

Occupation
    MR-10 is a propriatary high index material of Seiko Optical. Essilor has a similar material which I believe comes under the label Ormex.

We charge between $50 - $80 above and beyond the standard lens charges depending on your lens style and RX parameters.

Kevin

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by PAkev
    MR-10 is a propriatary high index material of Seiko Optical. Essilor has a similar material which I believe comes under the label Ormex.

Kevin
    Ormex is Essilor's 1.56 lens. Orma is their 1.5.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of the problems that I had with the Airlock have long since been cured when they fixed the design flaw that they swore never existed in the flex Beta model (the old 700 series).

I use Airlocks, Silhouettes and Ti-Flex (Marchon's version of the Airlock for Pearle). All work well.

For the record, I personally have a couple of 3 piece mounts made with CR 39. The newest is a year old. I will put patients in High Index long before I put them in Poly.
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that you will be well pleased with the Marchon Airlock series. I much prefer the #720 series which is the "hingeless model", over the hinged #760 series. I have always been a fan of rimless and suggest them to most of my patients. More and more, I am putting trivex/trilogy lens material instead of polycarbonate. Let us know how everything works out.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Well I won't be ordering the glasses for another month. Company insurance plan is changing in November.

Going from Medical Eye Services to some insurance called VSP or something. They'll pay for more initial costs + 20% that I'll pay out of pocket. Nice.

Thread Information