Thread: Back into the "Game" at least for the short term...

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Back into the "Game" at least for the short term...

After being out of optics for 6 years, I am back in it...PT. I have spent the last 6 years in technology and cannot take the constant roller coaster ride that comes with it.

I found an awesome job, with great pay (outside of optical); but it took several months to do so. So to catch up financially, I needed a PT job to help me along. I was looking at PT jobs and realized that Optical salaries are better than most PT opportunties. The company that I work for FT has a salary review in 6 months, which will include a bonus structure as well. For now, I will work PT for the next 6 months to catch up and then most likely leave again.

However, I was shocked too see that most Manager salaries have gone down. I considered going back into optical management, but my salary demands were too high. In speaking to my new "manager" her salary is about $12.00 less per hour than what I make at my FT job. I realized that her salary is below what I was making 7 years ago.

I had offers from many, but decided on Wal-Mart. Mainly for the fact that I can buy stock at a discount. It might even be worth staying on one day a week, just for that. They offered me $14.00 per hour, which seems fair. I will only be working 10-15 hours per week. At my FT job, I work 8-4, and have the flexibility to work a night or two and either SAT or SUN, PT.

So...what has gone on in the last few years?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Unhappy supply and demand

The ebb and flo of licensed Opticians controls the wages. The number of licensed people is way up from a few years ago. The chains really push, push, and push somemore to get as many people to pass the test as possible. Lower wages equals lower store cost, more money to open more stores, more associates to take the test etc...

Bad address email on file
    "The chains really push, push, and push somemore to get as many people to pass the test as possible. Lower wages equals lower store cost..."

Jim, I don't follow your logic. Could you clarify?
    I thought chains did not encourage becoming licensed (because a licensed optician would demand higher wages and therefore increase store cost.)
    If they do get as many people to pass the test as possible, how does that lead to "lower wages"?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by paw
    "The chains really push, push, and push somemore to get as many people to pass the test as possible. Lower wages equals lower store cost..."

Jim, I don't follow your logic. Could you clarify?
    I thought chains did not encourage becoming licensed (because a licensed optician would demand higher wages and therefore increase store cost.)
    If they do get as many people to pass the test as possible, how does that lead to "lower wages"?
    Supply and Demand. If there are more opticians out there than the demand for opticians then there are more opticians fighting for very few jobs, so they will accept less money to work that job.

Thread Information