Thread: eyeglasses frames web site

Occupation
    Optical Retail

eyeglasses frames web site

Hi, last week I came across a rather extensive web site that listed all of the available eyeglass frames inclduing their specifications. It wasn't a retail site (no prices listed) and had all of the manufactureres listed - great resouce. Unfortunately my bookmark didn't take and I can't find it (the web site). Does this ring a bell with anyone and if so can you send me the domain. Thanks in advance.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OptiSearch

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Ask and you shall receive

Yes indeed! SOme days my poor little brain is not quite up to speed and I see now I have a bookmark but didn't recognize it. Thanks!!!

PS: maybe a little extra in your Christmas stocking this year.......

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have visited the OptiSearch website many times. Although impressive, it is far from complete, as far as its coverage of frame manufacturers and frame models. I often read about new frame models in sources like 20/20 Magazine, EyeCareBusinessOnline and VisionCareProducts (all online trade magazines) or on frame manufacturers' websites and I could not find the frames on OptiSearch. I have not gone to OptiSearch in the last couple of months, but I doubt that it could have changed radically since the last time I saw it. "FRAMES" (http://www.framesdata.com) offers what is probably more complete data on frames, but I don't think it is availabe to anyone who is not prepared to pony up some BIG BUCKS for the information. It's aimed at optical retailers, not consumers.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-30-2004 at 10:06 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

????????

Rinselberg, or whoever you are, is there some reason you can,t have your font size the same as evry one else, these small ones are a pain in the butt to read and kind of stupid

Occupation
    Hello harry a saake

It sounds like a software thing. I post from a Mac. Maybe you could help me, if you don't mind?

1. How does this line look?

2. How does this line look?

3. How does this line look?

4. How does this line look?

5. How does this line look?
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-30-2004 at 10:05 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1 and 2 looks Ok

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    Rinselberg ... is there some reason you can't have your font size the same as every one else, these small ones are a pain ...
    Hello harry a saake,

LENNY says (above) that when I use the default type font and type size it looks OK to him, so I repeat my original post. Hope YOU can read it now. When I look at what I just posted above, Lines 3, 4 and 5 are larger and more readable, and Lines 1 and 2 are smaller than I like to see, but I have an oddball: an older Mac. I guess that's the problem.

I have visited the OptiSearch website many times. Although impressive, it is far from complete, as far as its coverage of frame manufacturers and frame models. I often read about new frame models in sources like 20/20 Magazine, EyeCareBusinessOnline and VisionCareProducts (all online trade magazines) or on frame manufacturers' websites and I could not find the frames on OptiSearch. I have not gone to OptiSearch in the last couple of months, but I doubt that it could have changed radically since the last time I saw it. "FRAMES" (http://www.framesdata.com) offers what is probably more complete data on frames, but I don't think it is availabe to anyone who is not prepared to pony up some BIG BUCKS for the information. It's aimed at optical retailers, not consumers.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-29-2004 at 04:21 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lines

personally i like line 4 the best, but i think you should ask Steve

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You guys just gave me the best laugh I had all day!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    personally i like line 4 the best, but i think you should ask Steve
    Okay, everything except four lines 3 and 4 look the same to me and I require my glasses to see both of those lines.

Rinselberg, does your message interface include Verdana size 2?

Occupation
    Let's do the TYPE FONT and SIZE test again!

1. Font is default. Size is default.

2. Font is Verdana. Size is default.

3. Font is Verdana. Size specified as "1".

4. Font is Arial. Size specified as "2".

5. Font is Times New Roman. Size is specified as "2"

I like line #4, which is Arial at size 2. And I think that works good for a number of people. But apparently not JO! Not sure I can come up with a type font and size that looks good to everyone including Steve Machol, Jo, Chris Ryser, Harry A Saake and MYSELF. As I have said, I post from an older Mac -- although not that old. It's Mac OS 9.2 ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-04-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you forgot me!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey Rinselberg,

What a pity you don't live in Israel, I could use you in our shops and lab advising patients about frames and the latest lenses.
    In fact you could possibly advise my dispensers also!

I bet in an hour I could also have you edging and taking progressive heights and PDs.

Refraction techniques might take an extra day. What a waste all this knowledge is that you've aquired.

All best, Clive

Occupation
    Not the most PRACTICAL use of an average person's time for sure, Clive, but I wouldn't go so far as to dismiss it as a waste: My "super sized" Internet project to learn about the frames and lenses that I should have -- if I ever decide that I've emerged far enough from my recent misadventures to put it all behind me and GO GET SOME EYEGLASSES with which to peer at the present and perhaps glimpse some of the future.

I've sharpened my Internet research skills and learned how to use the Internet for other purposes, besides collecting what may well be the "mother" of all NON-COMMERCIAL prescription lens and frames products databases. ;)
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-05-2004 at 03:10 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for posting the fonts and sizes rinselberg. It's interesting to note the slight difference between fonts.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    besides collecting what may well be the "mother" of all NON-COMMERCIAL prescription lens and frames products databases.
    Mr. Rislinberg, You were correct, optisearch.com isn't complete, nor does it contain all of the frame measurements (missing the "B".) THe other needed a subscription. I did find an retail online site (google search using eye glass frames) which did include the "B" measurement but if you search by manufacturer, it didn't show all of the available models. Doing a search on the model number (from the optisearch site) did find the frame details even though they weren't listed under the manufacturer. THe site also lised pricing.

From a consumer's prespective: with so many choices these days and not every optician having the time to go over the options (or can only provide suggestoins on what they stock), having a non-commercial product database would be wonderfull.

PS: I liked option #5. But even with my high minus, I could actually read them all.

Occupation
    Hello ksquared. I have collected a lot of data on frames that interested me. It's not really a "database", just a number of files (saved web pages, mostly) organized in my Macintosh folders. If you get interested in a specific line of frames like Charmant, or Luxottica, or whatever, perhaps I could offer what I found interesting in that line myself. Post, PM or Email -- whatever suits you the best. Most of my data is on the higher priced frames, but I did collect some in the medium price range and even a few that struck me as real bargains -- quality for a fairly modest price. Quality as I perceive it, based only on what I could read about on their websites and product reviews in some of the online trade magazines. The last word: I collected almost entirely about metal frames: Titanium, stainless steel, and the other latest metals and alloys to catch on with some designers -- but very little plastic on the whole. I collected on dress frames (rimmed and rimless) and sports or sunglass type frames. And I almost forgot to say: Men's and unisex only!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-06-2004 at 01:25 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Idea

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg

.............................of frame manufacturers and frame models. I often read about new frame models in sources like 20/20 Magazine, EyeCareBusinessOnline and VisionCareProducts (all .....................................
    I just love your small type. No I can finally take off my glasses and I am probably the only one on the net to read your post's with a magnifier.

But I can tell you my wrist's are starting to hurt after a while. I wish you could be normal like all of us.

Occupation
    Chris Ryser, the last thing I want to do is lose any of my readers! What Internet browser do you use to read OptiBoard -- Internet Explorer? Netscape? If you know where to point and click with your mouse, you could set your Internet browser to MAGNIFY the type size, read my post, and then set it back to normal viewing. If you don't mind, could you say what kind of computer and sotware operating system you are using? As I said before, I post from a Mac (Apple Macintosh computer). The same posts that look SMALL to you look BIG to me. It's very puzzling. Best regards!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like number six best.
    ...Just ask me...

Bad address email on file

one vote for number 4

I ll take number 4........i ve only had glasses for a short time and, without them, number 3 is impossible to read

Thread Information