Thread: Warranty replacement

Occupation
    Optometrist

Warranty replacement

I'm really interested in hearing others' points-of-view on this issue.

I just offered to a patient a warranty replacement for a pair of 11-month-old scratched polycarb progressives for a lady who wears them on a chain around her neck. She obviously scratched them (and rather badly) from abuse.

Now, my lab will probably replace these no-questions-asked, and I assume Essilor will reimburse them. I still feel somewhat grimy, though.

I know there are no free lunches, and it's going to cost the consumer, in the long run. Should I just consider that the cost of these "no-fault" warranties are built in the price of the lenses (and frames, for that matter) and not sweat it?

I do know that a reasonable amount of labor goes into these remakes at our level and the lab level. What about that? Service fees for warranty replacements? I'd gladly split it with my optical lab!

Thoughts?

Bad address email on file
    i believe breakage is built into the cost of the lenses to begin with, if you had to guess what percentage of people actually use their scratch warranty what would it be, i would say less than 5%... when wholesale labs process lenses their cost is approximatly 50% of what they are selling it to you for...depending on the lab... when you buy a scratch coating for a ft28 you dont really think that the coated lens is $10-$15 more... its really about $3-$5 more

we limit sctatch redos to once per year for the people who abuse their glasses and that seems to keep returns at a minimum

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I suppose there are different paridigms, that's what makes this forum so rewarding. first, you didn't say the lenses were "TD2, or "Crizal AR". those are the ONLY lenses we scratch warranty, period. the client you described has the responsiblity to provide some reasonable care for the glasses that they so dearly love to tell you how much they paid you for them, when they could have gotten them so much cheaper somewhere else? So, the dangle them uncaringly around their neck, with their braoches, necklaces, etc., friends and loved ones come up and hug them, etc. but, hey, when they're trashed, let's go get good old DRK to give us some new shiny ones, and they'll be glad to replace them for free!!!? Why??? So, it's let's let the lab cover the cost, and maybe big Essilor can help them out? So, what is exactly wrong with,"well, Mrs. Jones, you didn't want to have us put TD2 that protects your lenses for a warranty replaced for a year, or the Crizal Ar that replaces them for 2 years, while providing you with better vision, so YOU took the risk that you wouldn't be scratching them, then proceeded to dangle them on a neck chain, so we won't be charging you the FULL price to replace them, we will give you a COURTESY 40% discount on the replacement cost. Now if you'd like to acquire the TD2 or Crizal on the new lenses, we'd recommend it, and that you will wear the glasses regularly, or keep them better protected.". So, we are in the position to tell people up front that they need to be responsible for their stuff! Go buy a nice set of tires, they allow for "tread wear" when they need to be replaced, not replace them because some of the tread wore off! So, maybe your client might go somewhere else, but if that's all you're doing for them, you can't afford them, can you, and if you can, how'd you feel if your lab 'split the cost' with you?

Thread Information