Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rx: Prescription or Formula

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

drk

I agree completely. OD's shouldn't be against licensing - but many still are.

It the Optometric Associations would get behind nationa uniform licensing, it would happen and it is their only chance to control the chains.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm confused. First you endorse licensing, with an outstanding rationale:

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    It's my opinion that this very issue is why opticians must be a licensed profession! It's the lens design that makes your profession uniquely important. As an OD, I will tell you that most ODs don't care much for this, and that means that your profession has to do the heavy lifting here.
    Then, you seem to indicate that licensing doesn't have to effect you (which tells me you wouldn't hire a licensed optician).

Private OD's are under no obligation to have a licensed optician in-office, so they shouldn't oppose such legislation. In fact, they should support it, for, at least, the self-serving motive of stifling chains in the state. Those are the entities that are against optician licensure, for obvious reasons.
    Can you please clarify your position?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I actually have a licensed optician. I need someone who is a professional that knows their stuff.

The reason that the laws allow non-licensed "opticians" to work in a private practice is the same reason you can hire an apprentice optician: OJT for the apprentice and oversight by a licensed professional for patient safety.

There's no reason I can see that a private OD should not support licensure. Even if he has a competent but non-licensed optical technician working for him, he should encourage the tech to get licensure. It's better for the practice to have another licensed professional. Even if it is an employer-employee relationship, the salary wouldn't necessarily have to skyrocket, so there is no issue there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But try mentioning "licensed Optician" at the next AOA meeting and see the reaction. I've always maintained that there's room in this group of professions for everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try to mention Optician that does refractions!:D

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    [QUOTE=Spexvet]

I'm sure they argue that the cost of eyewear would increase. We all know that the quality of service would increase at least proportionally to the increase in cost.

QUOTE]

How can cost increase when you know what you are doing......................?

I have a strong feeling that is why the independent "licensed optician" who knows the ropes, can think for himself and do his own work instead of relying on the large monster labs that are run by the large manufacturers, is being pushed into oblivion.

Opticians have always, world wide made a decent profit and a good living, by purchasing their frames, ordering uncut lenses, doing their own small labwork.

Today opticians heavily overpaying frames because they are given to them on consignment, (pay when it is sold). Return merchandise whenever they feel like it. The frame distributor/importer has to calculate these services ibto theor wholesale price, The optician pays today 200 to 300% more for a frame that cost's 500% less to manufacture.

The same goes for lenses, push the most expensive versions, because the manufacturers are in fierce competition for maket domination and advertise with monsterbudgets directly to the public. The unlicensed optician who really has never passed an exam to prove any professional knowdledge will learn and get his professional wisdom from advertising and the "arias song" by sales reps.

All advertising is paid by the buyer of products and calulated into selling prices. Plastic lenses are made in molds that can be used over and over again and their manufacturing cost compared to the old glass lenses is at the most 10% of what it was 25 years ago.. Polycarbonate lenses are injected in racks of 6 or 8 lenses a shot coming out of the extrusion machine every few seconds and their manufacturing cost are not more than to make any other moulded piece of polycarbonate of which there a millions used on the market fo any type of purpose..

The profit picture has drastically changed from the optician to the manufacturer of lenses and frames.

In the very near future the only really qualified optician will survive these changes if he can advise his patients/customers professionally compared to the brainwash that is presented to the public on TV and other advertising.

It is actually a shame that politics in the USA prevents a profession like opticanry to evolve into a state where the public can trust them like a pharmamcy for example, which for sure is regulated. In most industrialized countries opticians have to pass professional exams before they can work in the profession.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Interesting concept, Chris:

The flow of income from smaller to larger entities. A megatrend, no doubt. Fits in with marketshare consolidation to fewer players. The goverment has had to step in at some points, historically.

We are being mechanized to death. It's true in the general economy as well. It's not really a bad thing, it's progress, but it leaves us humans more and more in the service sector.

IF WE AREN'T VIEWING OURSELVES AS SERVICE PROVIDERS, WE ARE GOING TO REGRET IT.

Long-term strategy: as service providers, we have to emphasize knowledge and professional caring, and less and less on lab work. As costs of materials may drop (see: contact lenses), our professional abilities must be compensated for.

It kills me to see lens design and frame fashion consulting included in the price of the product, but "oh well".

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Not So ........................

1) ........................... emphasize knowledge and professional caring, and less and less on lab work.

2) .......................As costs of materials may drop (see: contact lenses),

drk,

1)
    First half of your argument is correct.......................

the second is wrong .................because this will make you loose the extra income an individual owner can make with all the little extras going from the UV treatment you can do yourself to the tint you can apply without big expenses.

You order these extras from the lab with your RX included you will make only a fraction of the profit you could make by doing them yourself.

2)
    Cost of materials is going down and has been going down for the last 20 years,.......but not for you.

Frames are cheaper to make today than ever......................have you seen a decrease over the last few years?

Lenses cost a fraction to manufacture of what they did years ago..........have you seen a decrease in that department?

Prices only come down when there is fierce competition...............and that is not so today. The major manufacturers are now also the major players in the lab field, not only in the USA but in a large part of the industrialized world. There is only minimal competition, because the small outfits can not compete with the massive advertising which influences also the professionals.

Thread Information