Thread: Can Transitions Lenses Be Identified?

OptiBoard Novice

Question Can Transitions Lenses Be Identified?

I went to my local LensCrafters in MA and ordered a pair of polycarb Transitions—at least that's what I hope to get back soon.

There is no identifying information on my receipt to verify whether or not it will be "Transitions®", only "Photo Poly (Poly), Single Vision", even though I specifically asked for the brand.

The product number is listed as 0050000123. Is LensCrafters a reliable source to get your lenses? Do I need to worry? They can tell me anything to appease my concerns, so I thought to ask you as the manufacturer whether they actually use your products or not.

Thank you.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Lenscrafters does use Transitions brand photochromic lenses, but they sometimes refer to them by different names. Photo Poly is photochromic polycarbonate, referring to the lens material (polycarb) and the photochromic feature of the lens.

The number you listed is the Optical Product Code, which is printed on the box the lens blank comes in. Unfortunately I don't have a list of OPC's here at home. It's probably a moot point anyway since I am a Lenscrafters employee, so it wouldn't exactly be an independent verification. The good news is, the OPC is the same no matter where you go.

I've got a pair of photo poly's myself, and I certainly would want to make sure I got what I asked for. LC has flirted with other brands of photochromics in the past, and they just weren't as good.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the reply.

Would the receipt normally have "Transitions" printed on it or does LC use the generic description as a rule? And then dispense whatever lens they feel like?

If you or anyone else that works at LC has the OPC info, I'd appreciate it. At least it should say whether or not the OPC corresponds to Transitions.

I'm trying to be an educated consumer and make sure I get what I paid for. It's a hefty $265 to end up with something generic and not even know it.

Occupation
    As a rule, the receipt will have the "Lenscrafters name" for the lens vs. the manufacturer. Many single vision lenses are available in both finished and semi-finished form, and each may come from a different vendor, so using a name like Featherwates or Duralens is easier.

Since your lenses were special ordered and the default lens selection for "photo poly" is a Transitions lens, I see no reason to suspect otherwise. However, I'll be glad to look up the OPC for you tomorrow (provided hurricane Ivan doesn't prevent me).

If you really want proof, ask to see either the boxes the lenses came in (if they ordered the lens blanks only to process in store) or the invoice from the central lab if it was a drill mount and/or antireflective lens. They may look at you like you're crazy, but it's your money!

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Myopic,
    You will find that chains give various name products their own name. This emliminates the need for price matching since no one but their chain has it. I formerly worked for another chain and they had another name for Transitions.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    From what I have seen, retail chains (and some labs) that substituted another product after a patient ordered Transitions ended up having to redo the lens or return payment once the patient discovered the switch. It turns costly and the dispensor's credibility is damaged. In the long run, trying to pass off one product for a premium brand will only backfire.

The number one reason these businesses get caught is from the patient noticing that the lenses do not perform very well. Most of these patients have friends or relatives that do have Transitions. One quick comparison and the patient is back at the shop.

We conduct secret shopping sweeps when we receive complaints of switching. About a year ago, one regional chain actually billed the product on the reciept as Transitions Lenses for in house casting products. All evidence was turned over to the DA office and BBB.

As for polycarbonate products, only Transitions has this material available.
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Novice
    As for polycarbonate products, only Transitions has this material available.
    Jim
    Music to my ears. :D Good to know Transitions takes steps to investigate fraud.

Thank you all for the helpful information. I can see where branding and competition can dictate certain sales practices. It's too bad consumers are in the dark at times—whether by choice or not. I googled my way to Optiboard and am glad to have found such a great resource.

Now I'll just anxiously wait for my glasses to arrive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Myopic Heights

(I work at LensCrafters, in TN.)
    I got a pair of Transisitions Colors this past summer (sold at LensCrafters as Featherwates Colors and labeled that way on the receipt) which are polycarbonate....purple, blue, or teal.... only drawback to the fun is that they are single vision only. I believe you are getting the traditional tint, but I hope you like yours as much as I enjoy my purple lenses!
    "The Good Lord gave us mountains so we could learn how to climb". ~ Lonestar

OptiBoard Novice
    (Sorry for the long post below...)

Mine are ploycarb Gray. I am happy and amazed that they darken very quickly in the sun, but am slightly disappointed that the tint in full sun at 69 degrees isn't as dark as what's shown in the banner ad above right (I know it's supposed to be representative and may not be actual for every circumstance depending on material, etc.). It actually looks more like the center image in the one with the three stages example.

According to the charts on the Transitions website, the 1.56 Gray Higher Index would have been darker than both the polycarb 1.58 and the Transitions 1.67 which has the same light transmission.

Would the quality of the AR coating have an impact on it's darkness? Unfortunately I can see spotting on the AR coating that can't be cleaned off. Looks like what would happen when hairspray gets on lens. Is that normal? Any opionion that I may have received a not so well made pair? My few years old clear high index pair with AR doesn't have any spots to this day even after numerous cleanings.

For JennyP and Blake and others who work at LensCrafters:

Is it possible to order the 1.67 higher index transitions from LC? Is it a store to store regional thing? The person I dealt with didn't know they existed and asked the in-store lab and came back and said no. Which I don't understand if they have to special order it anyway. So I was steered to polycarb.

Now I'm wondering if I would have been better off with the Gray 1.56 since it is only .2 off from polycarb but would have been darker. It doesn't seem like it would have been that much thicker. Does LC offer the 1.56 higher index or just the standard 1.50?

I'd love to keep the Transitions, but also don't want to settle for a product that may not have been handled properly by a lab. Eyeglasses are an investment, IMHO. There isn't a way for me to even know if they used one of the qualified labs that Transitions lists. On top of that, the edges aren't clean, there are frayed whitish strands of the polycarb on one of the lens.

So I'm in a dilema of whether my circumstance warrants a redo or whether the option for Transitions lens in 1.56 for something darker or the 1.67 for something thinner is available at LC. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Occupation
    Most LC stores (to my knowledge) stock the 1.56 index Transitions, which are also known as Flextints. The 1.50, poly 1.58 and the 1.67 are all special order lenses. The 1.67's are a rare bird - not even listed in the computer - but are available through the central lab.

When choosing from among these lenses, you have to consider trade-offs. From what I have observed, the 1.50 lenses get the darkest. The poly and 1.67 are going to be the thinnest. The only real advantage to the 1.56 flextints is the fact that they are in stock and can therefore be processed the same day - not a real advantage if performance is your main concern. Not to mention that even those are special orders if they have an AR coating!

The AR coating will have a slight effect on how dark the lenses get, but IMHO that is far outweighed by the benefits of AR.

What kind of frame/mounting do you have? If it is a rimless or semi-rimless, your lens options are more limited.

Take the glasses back to the store and get them to clean the white residue and spots off the lenses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Clarification

The 1.56 lenses that are stocked in the store are actually Transitions III. If you would like to get the latest version of transitions available, the Next Generation lens, those can be special ordered with or without a/r as well.

Cassandra

OptiBoard Novice

Wave Lenscrafters and Tranisitions

Hi, read these posts with great interest. Hope I get an answer. I spent alot of $$$ on "Flextint" lenses in early 2003. Went to the desert in the Middle East - needless to say the lenses did not get as dark as I had hoped but no matter, they did the job.

I wanted Transitions but was told over and over again Lenscrafters could not order Tranisitions. Only "Flextint". As one of the posters said below, nothing on the reciepts said Transitions.

I am in the need for a new set of lenses (as a not so perfect post-Wave Front Lasix patient) that are of the Transitions type. Only Sears seems to claim they have Transisitions. Of course I want NG.

Question is it really true Lenscrafters can order Transitions NG? I'm going to Korea soon and want to get my medical/dental/eye wear taken care of before I leave. I pay my own medical expenses, not my employer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nova: I could be wrong but I think any optician (except those restricted by budget, or chain co. rule) can order transitions N.G. And no photochromic lens will get dark enough for the dessert or the sea unless it is also polarized, then it will be too dark for low light.

Chip

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVA Customer
    Hi, read these posts with great interest. Hope I get an answer. I spent alot of $$$ on "Flextint" lenses in early 2003. Went to the desert in the Middle East - needless to say the lenses did not get as dark as I had hoped but no matter, they did the job.

I wanted Transitions but was told over and over again Lenscrafters could not order Tranisitions. Only "Flextint". As one of the posters said below, nothing on the reciepts said Transitions.

I am in the need for a new set of lenses (as a not so perfect post-Wave Front Lasix patient) that are of the Transitions type. Only Sears seems to claim they have Transisitions. Of course I want NG.

Question is it really true Lenscrafters can order Transitions NG? I'm going to Korea soon and want to get my medical/dental/eye wear taken care of before I leave. I pay my own medical expenses, not my employer.
    Any independent optician should be able to get the lens for you. Chains buy big from lens companies and look for the cheapest prices. Independent opticians deal with many companies and get the best products.

Occupation
    Whoever told you LC could not get Transitions NG was apparently misinformed. I work for LC, and have ordered many of them, especially for patients who previously wore the X-tra Active lenses. They've got the Flextint lenses (which are also a Transitions product) beat by a mile, especially here on the Gulf Coast!

There are two types of photochromic lenses in our system - "photo flextint" and "photo plastic". Ask your local LC what they use for the latter if they don't use TNG.

Blake

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

transitions

I think what you will all find out is that poly never changes as dark as cr-39. Best combo i have found is, cr-39 with ar.
    .....As for this question of manufacturing. It was always my understanding that Transitions was not actually making the lenses, but rather treating them to have the photochromatic properties they have. I thought most of the manufactures of lenses sent them to the Transition folks to have them imbibed or whatever process was neccessary, but i am sure Jim will answer this.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My question to Myopic heights is if you are so concerned and don't trust the LC that you went, why are you there? If you must question the validity of the products, maybe you should take your business to someone you can trust. (an independent?)

Thread Information