Thread: does nosepad discomfort actually cause eye strain? nosepads on sides cause headache?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

does nosepad discomfort actually cause eye strain? nosepads on sides cause headache?

In an earlier thread, I mentioned my need for good optical help in Detroit. I was finding it difficult to even concentrate to research on the board...but something seems to have helped immensely.

Once upon a time I think I did have glasses with a "strap" bridge. And another pair I had a long time had larger nosepads, which may have helped to distribute the weight more evenly. But my last couple pairs of frames, I don't know if a strap bridge would look right on, they are stylish rectangular half-rimless.

I have been absolutely traumatized by a pulling sensation in my eyes, a difficulty moving them quickly, for example, when scanning text....really unable to concentrate easily... and felt it may be because my measurements were off (narrow PD, OC's too low, too much cyl in one lens). However, a simple tilt of the head would line up the OC's, when reading. I felt it was maybe a glare issue, since I didn't apply AR (wary about spending money at this unhelpful optical...paid for exam but got glasses free because my parents and sister are customers). I was getting headaches and at first I thought it was because they were annoying me by moving constantly (got really oily skin). So I went to another optical and had them put silicone pads on (my optical wouldn't even do this, they said there was nothing to do about them slipping...what BS...i dread even facing them to have these lenses remade).

My lenses are CR39 but not that large, so not that heavy really. There are no marks on my nose from pressure. But I sensed something wasn't right. So, being a not-so-crafty yet resourceful person, today I tried stuffing a cotton ball between the pads, so that the weight is carried on top of the bridge, instead of on the sides. Now, as a result, my OC's have been lifted to a point of better clarity. But my eyes also feel so much freer now. I literally feel 800% better. Why do they even sell frames with pads on the sides? Am I in a minority of people who experience discomfort there?

I searched sci.med.vision and found that the ethmoid sinuses are located on the sides of the nose, where nosepads are typically placed. This region also connects to the optic nerve. Hence, this discomfort would directly send stimulus to the oculomotor system, causing it to lock up, just as any muscles would tense up from pain. Pressure in this sinus region was also causing me problems as a singer. Proper singing technique involves concentrating the voice in a manner that your sinuses resonate in this facial region. While wearing glasses I would always find that I didn't sound right. Any weight that dampens vibration is going to be detrimental to the sound and the feeling, which is necessary feedback to adjust and optimize one's performance.

So now you know something particular to singers, maybe other types of performers...at least ones who use proper technique.

But anyone is still going to have the discomfort. Why do they make frames this way? It's almost certain the pads were causing my eyestrain.

Besides a strap bridge, are there any other modifications to this type of frame that would take the pressure off my sinuses? (I feel silly with this cotton ball stuffed in between the pads).

And again, if someone can direct me to good people in the metro Detroit area, I'd appreciate it greatly. These struggles have been severely interfering with my quality of life.

OptiBoard Novice

Nosepad discomfort

You are right - many of the popular small square frames come with thin hard acrylic nosepads often with metal inserts. Switching to a silicone pad is almost always more comfortable if the acrylic seems a little "hard" or just wont adjust out properly. The silicones are softer and available in many shapes and sizes. I also think it's important to note - most nose pad arms are coiled or kind of an "s" shape for a reason. The pads can be moved away or extended toward the face from the frame. The slightest tweak can place the pressure from the pad in a different spot on the bridge - maybe a bit more comfortable. I've got some new Prada sunglasses and although I've yet to change the pads - I did pull them out away from the frame a bit- as well as angled in a bit more at the top. It's just a very individual thing - different for everyone. Hope this helped!;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Nose pads carry all the weight of the frame. It is an art to properly adjust them. They can create extreme discomfort when the weight is not properly distributed. On the other hand the mark on the nose of a not properly adusted pad makes it easuer to correct, if one has learned how to do it.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-09-2004 at 07:48 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Check The Whole Frame Fit!

I find more discomfort of this sort because patients and inexperienced opticians bend the temples down behind the ears. This is an attempt to keep the frame from sliding forward or down by "hooking on the ear." The ear is only supposed to support the temple from falling down, not keep the chassis (front for you greenies) from falling down. The temple is supposed to hug the head (not the back of the ear) behind the ear. The temple is not to hug the ear or touch the face in front of the ear.

The lenses or frame should not touch the cheeks .

If your (or your patient's) glasses don't meet this criteria, they don't fit!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't quite buy into your scientific analysis of the problem, but your vision problem from OC placement and a bad frame adjustment is sufficient to cause headaches.

I don't like silicone nose pads anymore. I'm tired of replacing them every 3 months. I like the vinylon or acetate. If the frame is adjusted properly, and the lenses are appropriately light, most of the time you won't have the problem.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    What part of the analysis do you not buy into? Perhaps I am more sensitive than most, but the fact is, I have had several different adjustments, and with nose pads resting on the sides of my nose, or pinching the bridge, I have a specific type of discomfort. Nerves are wired to certain parts of the body. (That's why, for example, if a doc tests reflex by tapping your knee, your leg moves, and not your arm). I feel the same kind of brain-jabbing discomfort and eye stiffness you'd get from a bad sinus headache. The optic nerve runs through this region. People with ethmoid sinus problems have experienced loss of vision, especially from surgery complications. I'm sure a medical professional could expound further on this topic and provide better references.

I have a more resonant voice than most; I come from a family of professional opera singers. (Incidentally, they never had to deal with the discomfort of glasses...although many other family members have). Therefore my sinus cavities are probably more developed than the average person. And also more sensitive. And possibly distributed in a different fashion. Please see the following page:

http://www.myentphysician.com/script...octor=davidson

"The ethmoid structure is highly variable; in fact, every person's ethmoid structure is unique, like a fingerprint."

So it seems likely that mine are uniquely extending into the region where most nosepads would be placed. I suppose an ENT could actually medically verify this-- But in this case, I know and trust what I feel. As a singer, I am trained to be aware of subtle differences in resonance in that area. And when the glasses are on, I can feel that resonance being dampened. It's not exactly crushing my skull or leaving deep marks, but as I said, I'm sensitive and any pressure is enough to be bothersome.

The fact is that lifting the glasses onto the top of the nosebridge by jamming a cotton ball between the pads, is more comfortable, whether my eyes are open or not. But certainly this pressure and discomfort could result in visual problems. The difference is not acuity, it's comfort and motility.

These are the facts; the question is how to do this better. Perhaps the cotton is also helping by distributing the weight over a larger area. I certainly don't like pressure on top of my nose either....so softening it there is helpful too. But it seems that I am much less tolerant to pressure on the sides, and based on my experience with singing and frequent sinus headaches, I feel my explanation is rational. I apologize if I seem to be beating this to death, but I believe the great majority of people may not personally be as acutely aware of these issues. Not many singers, and furthermore, most don't use the operatic technique of head resonance, they tend to place their voice in the throat and chest.

What can I say, I'm a weirdo, I'm a problem, can't help it. I've had stranger problems. Benign, but very real, irritating, and private problems. The resultant psychological suffering was the only real danger. I'll spare the details, let's just say one problem has repeatedly destroyed the most intimate of moments, since they were followed by excruciating pain unlike anything I've ever felt, and kept me from sleeping for hours. Another was a case of repeatedly misdiagnosed dermatitis and fissure that was finally recognized, after seeing several professionals over the years, as a case of inverse psoriasis. Only my doctor and toilet bowl have seen it. :p Most psoriasis sufferers aren't even aware of this rare type. I felt embarrassed having to search so hard for help on this literal "pain in the ***." No real cure, but know what helps? Not medicines, SUNLIGHT. It's actually medically prescribed. Unfortunately, it's hard to get sun "Where the sun don't shine." So a sunlamp will produce comparable results specifically because of the UVB rays--which actually cause sunburn. (UVA actually darkens melanin initially stimulated by the UVB. Tanning tip--use a UVB lamp in the morning, and your typical UVA tanning booth type later in the day. Less exposure to the more dangerous UVB, and you'll get a better tan). Actually, some UVB is required to stimulate Vitamin D production, and the latest trend is to advocate limited unprotected sun exposure as beneficial to health, but in general, UVB is considered a skin cancer risk and not medically advised. But in my case, it's the best solution. You can see that I'm accustomed to strange, seemingly unscientific solutions.

Sorry to get off topic with these uncomfortable details (But I'll bet that you did learn something new), I'm just illustrating a trend here-- I'm really not exaggerating when I assert that I'm truly misunderstood, almost expect to be, and my problems turn out not to be just psychological, as everyone defaults to saying these days when they don't know the answers. But when it's so hard to get help with seemingly miniscule yet truly traumatizing problems, it's no wonder I'm a nervous wreck.

So yeah, I'm asking for sympathy. I know it seems that I'm just overly dramatic. But my problems really do merit the attention. Please trust me on this. I'm not the malingerer I seem to be. I honestly hate going to professionals and hate asking for help. When I break down and do so, it's only for things that truly do need solving. I hate being looked at at crazy time after time and doubting myself, until I finally come across someone who recognizes the problem and reminds me that I'm not nuts, I'm just genetically weird. I wish I knew how to convey this without going into a lengthy tirade every time I have to deal with a new person.
    Last edited by j.west; 09-09-2004 at 02:11 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    I dont really read your whole story though,i have a little bit of the same problem...i tried different types of nosepads,and adjust all possibly thats can cause discomfort ,but then i realized that i should change the nosepad sizes,so i tried small,round,thicker,normal size ,and the big one,i like the normal and a bit thicker than usual,so it sits well and not falling off,it helps..i hope you can have some tips...:D if this is the problem... :) :cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Adjust.........Adjust................Adjust....... ...or change

The fact is that lifting the glasses onto the top of the nosebridge by jamming a cotton ball between the pads, is more comfortable, whether my eyes are open or not.

There are people that will or could go berserk with gkasses on their nose because of sensitive nerve problems.

Before you accuse you nerve endiing make a very simple test. Look in the mirror at your nose pads. First the right and then the left or vise versa.

Lift the frame and look if you have any red matks on your skin where the pad was placed. If you have a partial mark the weight is sitting on only one part of the nosepad and has to be adjusted for even weight distribution. If the mark covers the whole nosepad area on one side only the temples have not been opened according to your skull shape and the weight sits and presses only on one pad instead of the 2 pads.
    Once the pads have been adjusted do not wear that frame for a day or 2 to let the skin on your nose to recuperate. Wear them again and if there is still a problem the marks will appear withing a few hours and you optician should be able to correct it.

If it boils down to be a nerve problem, chnage the frame for a comfortable nose deisgn on a plastic frame, do not buy a frame that has a brand name but one the feels comfortable.

I thinj this should make sense.

Thread Information