Thread: Soft Contacts and high altitudes

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Soft Contacts and high altitudes

Has anyone heard of or experienced issues when wearing soft contacts at high altitudes (ie: 13,000 - 14,000 feet)? Patient (me) used to wear RGP but recently switched over to SC and developed an incredable head ache which got progessively worse after they (I) returned to a lower altitude. THey (I) never had this problem before and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the SC's.
    THis is probably not the best place to ask but thought it may be worth a try.
    THanks
    Last edited by ksquared; 09-19-2004 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typing errors

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One could ask: Why would anyone change to soft if he had overcome the wimp factor with rigid already?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    One could ask: Why would anyone change to soft if he had overcome the wimp factor with rigid already?
    Last pair of multifocal RC need some adjustments and Dr. no longer avaiable. New Doctor prescribed SCs while in for a glasses RX. Untill I can find a qualified person to fit/fix the RGP multifocal contacts (no Chip off the old blocks here in Colorado), am wearing the SC for outdoor use. THe SC work OK but don't have the vision quality of the RCs. And as you probably know, most Dr.s don't bother with RC anymore, probably because they are more difficult and exspensive (SC samples are free) to fit.
    Last edited by ksquared; 02-22-2006 at 12:34 AM. Reason: fixed the format

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It's a fact: less O2 in atmosphere leads to less diffusion through CLs, leading to increased corneal hypoxia. Need high O2 lenses for mountain climbing. If distance only powers feasible, try Acuvue Advance. If not, go with Acuvue BF. Avoid Soflens Multifocal: while the best MF SCL on market, low oxygen!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Aha, another little nuance to the SC experience. Headache did seem to start at the summit and got progressively worse during the descent and didn't really retreat until the SC came out. Knew it couldn't be altitude sickness as we climb regularily. The SC were the only thing that changed. Will check out the SC you recommended. Thank-you so very much.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by drk
    It's a fact: less O2 in atmosphere leads to less diffusion through CLs, leading to increased corneal hypoxia. Need high O2 lenses for mountain climbing. If distance only powers feasible, try Acuvue Advance. If not, go with Acuvue BF. Avoid Soflens Multifocal: while the best MF SCL on market, low oxygen!
    Interesting. I visited Denver once during a hot summer and had a lot of problems with my contacts. Was not able to wear them - a lot of redness and soreness. I had to stick with spectacles the rest of that trip. Hadn't thought about this as an explanation, but it makes sense...

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as one mentions altitude, you should see what can happen to Lasic and RK patients when they go to the mountains, it isn't pretty and it lasts quite a while after the trip.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    supposedly this is due to lack of oxygen, but I don't get it. Why would refractive surgery increase the need for oxygen?

I suspect perhaps it is actually due to a compromise of the integrity of the cornea, and the changes in air pressure.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why does every one think all the problems with surgery and contact lenses are due to lack of and cured by more oxygen. After surgery (corneal) the cornea is weaker, sometimes thinner (why good surgeons tell patient's who have thin corneas, not to have refractive surgery). If a balloon has a weak spot it will bulge there first when the pressure outside the balloon decreases. Has nothing to do with what percentage of gasses is outside the balloon or even what the gas is. Once a balloon has been stretched, it either does not come back to it's origional shape or or it can take quite a while to resume it's origional shape.

Chip

OptiBoardaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Skagen
    Interesting. I visited Denver once during a hot summer and had a lot of problems with my contacts. Was not able to wear them - a lot of redness and soreness. I had to stick with spectacles the rest of that trip. Hadn't thought about this as an explanation, but it makes sense...
    drk is correct so I don't want to make it sound like he is not, but the symptoms in this post correlate more to what he is saying than headaches. ksquared, how confident are you that the headaches were related to your eyes? Perhaps squinting and some refractive shifts could have caused your headaches, but redness and soreness are more likely.

Not so sure about Chips post, I think there is a better chance of problems developing from endothelial pumps shutting down and not from pressure differential. Who knows for sure?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip knows for sure.

1) I have one patient who had RK, we attempted to fit this patient with a Lacrilens (Mould taken of eye, and lens mfg. to fit mould.) It took months for the patient's vision to return to normal due to vaccuum exerted when impression removed. Same patient as well as other patient's have similar but not as long lasting difficulty after visiting high altitudes after refractive surgery.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    i lost the link, but i read something that suggested that altitude is more of an issue for RK patients than Lasik. Probably due to the fact that RK incisions create much greater instability.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialT
    drk is correct so I don't want to make it sound like he is not, but the symptoms in this post correlate more to what he is saying than headaches. ksquared, how confident are you that the headaches were related to your eyes? Perhaps squinting and some refractive shifts could have caused your headaches, but redness and soreness are more likely.
    "Headaches"? Where did you get that from? I didn't mention any headaches. Maybe someone else's post. Not mine, for sure. I had strictly eye problems.

OptiBoardaholic
    Skagen, please read my post a little closer.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Originally Posted by Ksquared (in 2004!!!)
    Headache caused by soft contact?

Originally Posted by drk (shorlty there-after)

Originally Posted by Skagen

Originally Posted by SpecialT

Originally Posted by Skagen
    "Headaches"? Where did you get that from? I didn't mention any headaches. Maybe someone else's post. Not mine, for sure. I had strictly eye problems.

Skagen - Denver is exceedingly “dry”. When you combine the dryness with the summer heat you have a same effect as being in an oven. Although Denver is 5280 above sea level, it’s unlikely it was a decrease in oxygen that caused your SC woes. Most visitors don’t even notice the altitude unless they engage in strenuous physical activity.

I suspect the discomfort you described (red, sore eyes) was a direct result of the dry climate and not the altitude.

SpecialT – I’m "very" confidant the headache I experienced was related to the soft contacts. We had light rain that day so dryness wasn’t an issue. I didn’t even notice I had my contacts in. They were that comfortable.

The normal atmospheric oxygen level is around 21 percent, but it drops to about 16 percent at 14,000 feet. Your body’s normal oxygen level is between 95 and 98 percent. At 10,000 feet it drops to 90 percent and at 14,000 feet it’s around 84. I believe the combination of a lower body oxygen level and a decrease of oxygen to the surface of my eye accentuated by the SC resulted in cornea edema which was the cause of my headache. This was the one and only time I have ever had a headache when climbing a 14ier. The brand of SC I was wearing that day was 2Clear from VisionSource which probably has a very low exchange although I've been unable to find the specifics. I’ve since switched to 1-Day Acuvues but haven’t worn them climbing yet. Now that I know SC "in general" interfere with the oxygen exchange why risk another headache. I decided my eyes should have all the oxygen possible so wear my spectacular spectacles instead. No more problems. End of story.

PS: Why or why do these old, old threads get resurected? Is it some evil polotical plot or just a coincidence. We'll never know for sure.
    Last edited by ksquared; 02-22-2006 at 03:16 PM.

Debt Crisis 2011: All the ostensible nobility in the world notwithstanding, we have run out of other people's money to spend.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    that reminds me of something I read, but did not have a cited source....a claim that in parts of congested Tokyo, oxygen levels are as low as 7 percent. That seemed a bit misquoted, perhaps.

you could always do what the natives do in the Andes....chew some coca leaves. :D

Thread Information