Thread: "Cast to Prescription" technology: What's the latest?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"Cast to Prescription" technology: What's the latest?

I am looking for the most up to date information about lens casting: "Cast to Prescription" or "Cast to Rx", "in-office lens casting", etc. I know that the Varilux Panamic can be ordered in a 1.56 index material called DRx that is cast-to-Rx. I have also read about other cast-to-Rx production systems for progressive lenses: ODC (Optical Dynamics), iScience lenses (ODC lenses under the iScience brand name, I believe) and OptiCast USA. There is a recent trade article Consider Casting (click) by OptiBoard member Karlen McLean.

Are any of the chain retailers such as LensCrafters, Pearle Vision, Wal-Mart or the like using cast-to-Rx technology? Does anyone have accurate information about the ODC (Optical Dynamics) Q-2100 AR/HVAR "in mold" anti-reflective coating option for the ODC lens casting system? Does it provide a two-sided (front side and back side) AR with a hydrophobic topcoat?

I especially value information from independent sources: I'm always concerned that if I forward a question like this directly to a manufacturer (Not to disparage Optical Dynamics or any other company: Just as a generality.) I may get an answer that is "what they think that I would like to discover" and not the most complete or objective response. I am not employed in any part of the optical trade. I am an Rx lens user with an unusually eclectic (yes, eclectic!) interest in the technology of the products that are available to me.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-04-2004 at 07:34 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Thread Information