Thread: Lens demonstrators

Occupation
    Optometrist

Lens demonstrators

Just re-read old VM article about fancy, computerized, lens-and-frame demo software and am just not yet sold.

Anyone try this?

Anything less intensive, like downloadable media presentations from lens manufacturers or professional organizations, or even reel-to-reel videos? It'd be nice to make more impact with lens sales.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Drk
    We entertained the idea of using Eyemagination software in the previous office that I worked in. While it is not the same product as you have read about, I'll give you my two cents on using "high-tech" or computerized presentations. Many are very well done and are very informative, but it slows down the frame and lens consultation drastically. In the time it takes to run through even a short presentation on a computer a skilled optician can explain the pro's and con's of specific lenses, frame choices , and almost complete a transaction. In a busy office time is too precious to waste on "setting up" a presentation. Also these presentation can give potential customer an overload of info that may not be needed.

However these software programs are a great training tool for all the staff (opticians, Dr's, support staff). To be able to explain certain concepts to staff visually can really reinforce the message. Maybe using these programs partially for training and in limited use of the floor would be the most productive.

Back to your original inquiry regarding tools for lens demonstration. I personally use on provided by Nikon that compares 1.74, 1.67, 1.56 aspherics to CR-39 in various stock powers. I dot the eye on the pair of frame the patients likes compare it to the power closest to there RX and mark off the edge thickness. While it is not exact, it is a quick way for the patient to visualize the lens. I always have one at each dispensing table.

Jarratt
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe you when you say it slows down the frame selection process.

I don't understand how you "mark off the edge thickness". Please explain.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Sorry, a little vague. The chart has a page for edge material, on each page is a variety of lens power -1.00/-10.00 +1.00/+6.00. The is also a line down the centre of the page going through the centre of each lens. When your mark up the patients pupil in the frame you line that dot up to the centre of the lens in the proper power on the page. Then, on the page (it's glossy so marker wipes off) you can mark the temporal and nasal edges of the lens. As well as having an edge thickness marked off you can also see if the lens will cut out, and each picture on the page has the CR-39 equvilent in the power you have pick outlined to show the difference in thickness between materials.

I hope that this explained it, It's much easier than it sounds. I'm away from the office but I'll try to scan and post a copy to show you if I can.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Seiko has a dispensing mat that is very much like the above mentioned. It compares CR-39, 1.60, 1.60 aspheric, and 1.67. Power range is up to a -10.00 and +4.00. It comes in very handy when people are trying to decide between materials. Of course, I always preface that is only an approximation but it gives them a good visualization. I picked it up at Expo last year but I'm sure the Seiko folks will send you one.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar
    We have Eyeimaginations at our office and we use it when they are dilating, to explain cataract/yag laser/etc., and rx options at the frame table. I think it is a good idea for demonstrating procedures or to pt's that are feel overwhelemed. I personally only use the demonstrations if pt's look like they don't understand/confused after I have explained it. Sometimes pictures can talk louder than words.

Thread Information