Thread: All my Fault!

OptiBoard Novice

All my Fault!

:hammer: Wow, sure could use some advice. I'm not an opti professional but could use some education in order to help me solve issues with my new progressive lenses. Here is a rundown:
    Current prescription given to optician reads:
    OD plano -1.00 x 075
    OS plan -0.75 x 085 +2.25 PD R30, L30.5

previous prescription I have copies from 3 yrs. reads:
    -100 -75 085
    -50 -50 -80 +2.25 PD R31, L30

Apparently, this is what they used for making the lenses eventhough I have an astigmatism & the presciption I brought in was how they were dispensed.

Also, found out that optician owns (new) store & also has her own lab where she makes the lenses.

High Index lenses were used which is strange. And, my frame is plastic vs. metal (w/ metal could adjust better) and didn't realize it. I've been in 3 times to have the glasses adjusted (basically told my fault I can't get used to eventhough have sucessfully worn progressives) and have been forced to do a little research myself on what went wrong when I discovered an error w/ prescription is probably the main thing. Do any of you folks have advice on what I should do? I am tired of hearing, "some people just can't wear progressives..." and being labeled an uncooperative patient! Thanks in advance.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's what it could be:

1. PD could be off by as much as 1.5 mm which would displace the reading portion of your lenses. (you failed to say what your problem was other than not happy with new Rx)

2. Plastic frames usually fit closer to the face requiring a higher fitting height.Plastic frames tend to slide down the nose, even with a proper adjustment.This could be displacing reading area.

3. The loss of some minus in the OD could be causing accomodation problems, as could the addition of minus in the OS, however please bear in mind that the above numbers in your Rx are what you told the refracting doctor you saw best with.

4. It is unlikely that the shift to high index lenses would cause a problem.

The check for measurement accuracy is easily done and is where to start. If the measurements prove accurate, I would recheck the Rx with the prescribing doctor. If you call the office and say that you can't get used to the new glasses, they will gladly recheck you, I'm sure. Good Luck and stop back to tell us how this turns out.

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks HJ for your reply. Main problem w/ progressives is very distorted vision no matter adjustment - Need to seriously move my head over after reading 3-4 words (words on edge of paper blurry). Tunnel vision, etc. I believe the PD may be off a mm or two (these folks won't say it is though)...and I hate to involve another business to check for me.

I faxed Rx to the (new) optician (having NO experience reading one) but after researching realized that CYL (numbers) were left off of it. Since AXIS was included, my most important question is: Since I have an astigmatism BUT no mention of CYL on prescription should optician check with the doctor to get this CLY number - why would AXIS be included without this number? She used:
    OD plano -1.00 x 075
    OS plano - 0.75 x 085
    Am I understanding correctly that we need 3 sets of numbers here?

Could I have a pair of lenses that does not correct my astigmatism and perhaps the major problem (besides PD off) and I mentioned high index because, why would she use this material for me? Thanks again!!
    Last edited by GraciAnn; 08-15-2004 at 08:43 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by GraciAnn
    I faxed Rx to the (new) optician (having NO experience reading one) but after researching realized that CYL (numbers) were left off of it. Since AXIS was included, my most important question is: Since I have an astigmatism BUT no mention of CYL on prescription should optician check with the doctor to get this CLY number - why would AXIS be included without this number? She used:
    OD plano -1.00 x 075
    OS plano - 0.75 x 085
    Am I understanding correctly that we need 3 sets of numbers here?
    Your cylinder correction is there; it's -1.00 in the right and -0.75 in the left. Plano is another term for 0.00 or no power. Your prescription says that for your right eye at axis 75 you don't need correction and at axis 165 (90 degrees away) you need a correction of -1.00.

You might also want to check and see what brand of progressive lenses you are wearing. It seems like the reading is narrower than in old pair, if your old pair is varilux or another good lens and your new pair is a 'downgrade' then that will cause some issues as well. Good luck.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

All my fault too

I had a much better experience with my progressives. Am on my 2nd pair in 2 years and never needed an adjustment period at all. THe optition never took any special measurements and my RX only indicated my correction, progressive box marked and a 2.00 add in. THe only problem I had was getting my frames to fit comfortably and the lens adjusted correctly in the frame (they had cleaned all of the lines off before I picked them up.) But after around 6 visites, my head got used to the presure points.

I've since been to another optition and they tell me my lens are not progressives, no bifocal even present in the lens. (actually a 2nd opinion as I had taken my glasses back to the place that made them. THey also said they weren't progresives but when I told them they had made them and charged me, they rechecked their records and said they had made a mistake in reading them and that they actually were progresives.) I guess I know now why it was so easy to adjust to my "new" progresives. I suspect the 1st pair they made were not progresives either but have no way to verify since I not longer have the lens.

But what's a consumer to do. It's OK to take our $$'s but can we at least get a little bit of what we are paying for? Or must we keep trying doctors untill we find someone who knows what they are doing. Or at least care neough to try and do their best. I really don't mind paying. ALl I want is good vision. But than I'm probably just another one of those difficult customers, or it's my age, or it was ..... I do take repsonsibility for not going to schooll to better understand how the whole things works.

SOrry to vent a bit. I' ve gotten a lot of great information from people on this message board so please don't take offense.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

I had a much better experience with my progressives. Am on my 2nd pair in 2 years and never needed an adjustment period at all. THe optition never took any special measurements and my RX only indicated my correction, progressive box marked and a 2.00 add in. THe only problem I had was getting my frames to fit comfortably and the lens adjusted correctly in the frame (they had cleaned all of the lines off before I picked them up.)
    If they cleaned the markings before checking the glasses on your face they knew they had made a bummer.

This is a perfect case of a lousy progressive job. Your fitting measurements are not correct. As you are using a plastic frame which can only be adjusted for comfortabel wear unlike metal frame where some more adjustment is possible, measurment have to be correct and lenses have to be mounted without tolerance.

You been satified before and should be again. Go somewhere else, or the place that did a good job last time and get another pair which will work.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ksquared
    I had a much better experience with my progressives. Am on my 2nd pair in 2 years and never needed an adjustment period at all. THe optition never took any special measurements and my RX only indicated my correction, progressive box marked and a 2.00 add in. THe only problem I had was getting my frames to fit comfortably and the lens adjusted correctly in the frame (they had cleaned all of the lines off before I picked them up.) But after around 6 visites, my head got used to the presure points.

I've since been to another optition and they tell me my lens are not progressives, no bifocal even present in the lens. (actually a 2nd opinion as I had taken my glasses back to the place that made them. THey also said they weren't progresives but when I told them they had made them and charged me, they rechecked their records and said they had made a mistake in reading them and that they actually were progresives.) I guess I know now why it was so easy to adjust to my "new" progresives. I suspect the 1st pair they made were not progresives either but have no way to verify since I not longer have the lens.

But what's a consumer to do. It's OK to take our $$'s but can we at least get a little bit of what we are paying for?
    Huh?

If you paid for progressive lenses, you should have received progressive lenses. (Which, incidentally, may explain why there were no markings on the lenses. Single vision lenses won't have any.) And for the optician who made the glasses to 1. need 6 visits to adjust a frame and 2. do an about-face like that on a verification is completely absurd. If I were you, I would make a complaint to the manager. It's "opticians" like that who give all the excellent, true opticians out there a bad name.

Chris is right. Go somewhere else where you will get quality eye care. I'm sure someone on the board can recommend where to start your search.

OptiBoard Novice
    Guys~I appreciate your posts but you are quoting a post written by ksquared to me. (unless you are also giving her advice) In any event - I am learning a lot here. Have another appt w/optician, who incidently, OWNS the shop and the place they make up the frames - so can't complain to her! My glasses came WITH NO MARKINGS - I guess I assumed they were all cleaned for me before picking them up. Really, what am I suppose to do. I spent $333 for a piece of cheap @#KD - poor service & lousy adjustments - What CAN I do!!???

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Aplology

Graci-ann,
    I'm sorry, I shouldn't have added to your post (should have started my own.) Please accept my apologies. I also had spent lot of $$'s and received extremely poor service so your post really hit a nerve.

Just because the person owns the shop doesn't mean you can't discuss this with her. THe hard thing will be keeping it non-confrontational. WHen we feel we've been wronged, we want some sort of justice but that isn't always possible and won't get you the best results. If they made an error, they probably didn't do it on purpose. Tell them what you are having trouble with and than let them explain why it is the way it is. With your new knowledge, you'll be able to ask great questions.
    *I'm not sure these lens are set correctly, can you remark them and let's recheck the RX?
    *what brand of progresives did you use for these.
    *it seems like the reading is narrower than my old pair, can you help me understand why?
    *it seems that my vision is distored no matter how I look through the lens. can you help me understand why this is so
    *can you explain what all these figures on the RX mean and how they effect my vision and how they arer used to make my glasses?
    *what can we change to help correct the issues I seem to be having

If this doens't work , you may need to go elsewhere. Good luck and again I'm sorry if my post got in the way of your answers in any way.

OptiWizard
    You may want to check in with the person who did your refraction. It may be the root of your problem if all the adjustments are not improving your vision. he or she may also be able to independently verify that the lenses are made correctly and/or fitted properly.
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

OptiBoard Novice
    Stopper,

Could you explain refraction? You might be right on.. Where in NC are you & do you have any suggestions for a great place I might go to purchase an acceptable pair.

ksquared,
    thanks for your post - I'll let you know how it turns out this morning w/ optician.

I appreciate everyone's help!!

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar
    A refraction is what the dr. performs to check your prescription. It is the part of the exam where the dr. places the phoropter in front of you and changes the lenses (better one or two...) to get the exact prescription. There is objective (you don't answer) and subjective (you give answer). Hope this helps!

OptiWizard
    GraciAnn,

Ditto what april said about refraction.

I'm in Charlotte. Check out Dr. Eric Oberdorf in Raleigh 919-847-9751
    :cheers: Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Thread Information