Thread: Cutting Down A Lens For A New Frame

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Cutting Down A Lens For A New Frame

Hello everyone. I am sure someone can help me with this. A patient comes in and decides they want a new frame. They want too cut down their old lens too fit this new frame. Usually smaller then their old. How do you determine if the lens will cut down for this frame. Usually they have a bifocal or progressive lens. Is there a formula that I can use for this? And then how do you go about blocking it to cut it down. This Optiboard is a great place!!! I always come here when i need a question answered. I don't feel so stupid. Like I do at work sometimes. Thanks too everyone.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    RT,
    My general rule of thumb was to take it down by hand, therefore; it couldn't be that much bigger. I would never but down progressives or bifocals. Mainly due to the increased risk of it going wrong and the cost.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rtperry
    How do you determine if the lens will cut down for this frame. Usually they have a bifocal or progressive lens.
    If you find a frame with a smaller eyesize/shape and a larger bridge size then you should manage to get correct centration.
    I tent to steer clear with progressives though. Once you've cut them if they have problems theres no recovery.
    If they want a cut edge and fit with single vision lenses and its a close call i generally just give them a new pair and say nothing.

Rick

There is no reason a BF or progressive should come out wrong as long as you pick a new frame where you can do your old fashoned decentration for each lens and it cuts out. You may have a seg ht change, and you will have to take that into account as well.

All patients should be told that the procedure is at their own risk, and should feel that they have nothing to lose beforehand. If they do not want to risk it then it shouldn't be done.

You can trace around the sample lens from the new frame, then plot the position for the new PD on the drawing. Lay the old lens over the drawing with the OC at the PD marks, and determine if the seg height will cut at an acceptable height. If all looks good, then go for it. It will be fine.

shutterbug

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

for PALs

Redraw the markings on the old lens. Dot your placement on the demo lenses in the new frame. Hold the center of the cross of the old lens over the dot on the demos. You should be able to tell if the old lens does not overlap the demo.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

cut out old lenses

If the old lenses are a bifocal or a progressive I dot the lenses up, bifocal I just make sure there is no prescribed prism, then I take the measurements for the new frame block up the lenses, then take the geometric center of the old lenses put over the center of the block, that will let you know if it will cut out or not...single vision i just dot up on the lensometer and block up, get the geometric center of old lens and put over the center of the block....bam, if it has gaps it will not cut out, no gaps then it will cut out....We dont normally re-cut progressive lenses becuase the seg hts and decentration seem to screw up on the change over....

Thread Information