Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 303536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1202

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try using Amcon's Safety-Solv Pen (SL-1092). It works on all lens materials, yes, even polycarbonate. It removes progressive ink markings, paint, glue, grease, oils and the permanent lens marking pen ink. It is the best.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hi! I think the best way to make your lab smell fresh and clean is to place plants since it helps absorb the heat and moisture inside the lab.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Manfis,
    Sorry about the late reply. In cases of either high minus or plus rx's, I am of the opinion that the single most important aspect to consider for a desirable result is to choose a frame that will require absolute minimum decentration, none if possible. This in turn would keep the requirement for more extreme measures like lenticulars, high index or aspherical surfaces etc. in either plastic or glass to a minimum. Clearly, glass should only be an option for adults as still used a lot in Europe due to hardness and reduced thickness. For example, today I had -9.00 case fitted with CR39 in a plastic frame requiring 1 mm decentration either eye. Lens thickness hardly surpassed the rim edge.

I would only consider lenticulars over say 13 Diopters because of its aperture limitations, which particularly in high plus rxs reduces field of view. In the case of higher index materials, these results in decreased Constrigence (V-Value) and consequent undesirable Chromatic aberration particularly troublesome with myopes.

By keeping it simple, not only do you increase optical performance but you also keep the price down. I Hope this proves helpful. Jac

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marvelous new product! And no I don't sell or have anything to do with them other than using one for the first time this week-end.
    Inflate 'A' Booth. Product is an inflateable sand blasting booth, has holes for inserting hands, nice compact size, very light weight, has a zipable top for inseting larger things. One of the things I do is sandblast engrave glassware, some of you engrave lenses by this method (Air eraser from Harbor Freight or crafts store). This booth allows you to do this without safety eyewear on a table top. All of your aluminum oxide is retained and re-useable.
    The "booth" can be deflated and stored in a 10x10x4'' box. Transpearent so you can see what you are doing. My daugther gave me mine but I think she got it at Hobby Lobby or similar crafts store.

Chip

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollybabette View Post

Try using Amcon's Safety-Solv Pen (SL-1092). It works on all lens materials, yes, even polycarbonate. It removes progressive ink markings, paint, glue, grease, oils and the permanent lens marking pen ink. It is the best.
    Also try Amcons "Markaway" works even better.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been doing this job for 7 years, and have never had anyone definitively tell me this. I suspected, but was never sure. THANKS!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi everyone, I have followed OPTIBOARD since 2000. I am a British Optician and Optical techinician of 23 years experience. I also qualified as an optometrist 9 years ago. I am in the process of writing a book on tips on pure 'Real World' Ophthalmic Dispensing, based on experiences shared with my colleagues and my own experience and research.

As I don't want to double guess on what other optical colleagues (Optiboarders) would be interested in. I would be grateful if you all could provide me with the single most important question you would want an answer for. Which I would endeavour to answer in my book. The book is expected to be in an innovative format and published towards the end of next year (2012). Please send your question to: jorge@jorge-contreras.com. Although this e-mail is fully functional now, my website is still under construction. I thank you in advance for your kind assistance. JAC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=JRS;8084]Message to Harry A Saake on the ‘peanut oil’ and not needing an MSDS sheet. I’d be careful with that one – people that are allergic to peanuts get deathly ill with airborne peanut molecules, particulates, or whatever there called. Why do you think airlines have (with the exception of SW) quit serving them and switched to Almonds and/or Trail Mix? I’d make real sure about using that stuff freely in an area that potential visitors/clients could be near.
    PS – what do you use antifreeze for?

MSDS sheets are a must! I once had a
    Fire Marshal come in to my optical and wanted to find out how much a
    pair of glasses cost-ed. I told her. She didn't like my answer so
    she did a walk through and wrote me up for not having MSDS sheets.
    Now of course the OD I worked for went crazy. He felt that b/c he
    was an OD he didn't need them. Here is two questions. When I
    started in the optical field I found a bottle of Anti Frezze in my
    lab. No one could tell me what it was used for. Any ideas? And the
    other Question. Do we need to carry MSDS sheets on the drugs that
    out doctor's use? Someone let me know. My email is b101875@aol.com

Thanks Ed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=B101875;406619]
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS View Post
    Message to Harry A Saake on the ‘peanut oil’ and not needing an MSDS sheet. I’d be careful with that one – people that are allergic to peanuts get deathly ill with airborne peanut molecules, particulates, or whatever there called. Why do you think airlines have (with the exception of SW) quit serving them and switched to Almonds and/or Trail Mix? I’d make real sure about using that stuff freely in an area that potential visitors/clients could be near.
    PS – what do you use antifreeze for?

MSDS sheets are a must! I once had a
    Fire Marshal come in to my optical and wanted to find out how much a
    pair of glasses cost-ed. I told her. She didn't like my answer so
    she did a walk through and wrote me up for not having MSDS sheets.
    Now of course the OD I worked for went crazy. He felt that b/c he
    was an OD he didn't need them. Here is two questions. When I
    started in the optical field I found a bottle of Anti Frezze in my
    lab. No one could tell me what it was used for. Any ideas? And the
    other Question. Do we need to carry MSDS sheets on the drugs that
    out doctor's use? Someone let me know. My email is b101875@aol.com

Thanks Ed
    The anti-freeze was used in the dye tank as heat transfer fluid. Not a good idea!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you OptiBoard!

Dawn detergente to take Hair Spray off lenses (w/out ARC). 1 hot cup of water w/ a little Dawn 15 ms later no Hair Spray.

Ed

PS, I tried it with lenses that had ARC on them and it worked just fine. I warm the water up for about 1 1/2 mins.
    Last edited by B101875; 01-06-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Occupation
    [QUOTE=CME4SPECS;406633]
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post

The anti-freeze was used in the dye tank as heat transfer fluid. Not a good idea!

Many years ago I got a phone call from the Vancouver Firedepartement, about an 8 story office building the to clear everybody out because there was some fumes coming through the airconditioning system.

They traced to source to an optician on the ground floor, who claimed that is was the dyes he used , they were our dyes. So I told them noway it could be the dyes as it was a combination of dye powder and surfactants suspended it water. I suggested they check the heating media and there it was anti-freeze. Another optician who knew better and saved money.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what a great idea! thanks

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After reading an article in 20/20 I
    decided to move my Dispensing Mirrors. My boards are behind my
    tables so I moved them to the back side of our tables facing the
    boards. I then laid out hand held mirrors on top of the table. I
    was tired of dispensing a pair of glasses and right away the pt looks
    in the mirror not allowing me to see if they are adjusted correctly.

In place of the stand up mirrors I put
    some POP there. It's so funny to watch pts put on their glasses and
    then try to see their reflection in the cardboard POP. Or even some
    of them have past-up the hand held mirrors that are 2inchs away from
    them to pull the stand up mirrors across the desk. But by moving the
    mirrors I have saved so much time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok.... just playing dumb... But this doesn't fog up a plastic lens???

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofframes View Post

Ok.... just playing dumb... But this doesn't fog up a plastic lens???

Yes it would damage polycarbonate and high index if come into contact....................however you do not tint in the heat tranfer fluid.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another sales tip. After Someone buys their first whatever(sunglasses, a/r, polarized, wardrobe 2nd pair) finish with the same quote. "The first pair of (fill in the blank) is a luxury. The NEXT pair will be a neccesity. It always seems to make people feel comfortable with their buying decision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another sales tip. When your patient's narrow it down to 2 or even 3 really good frame choices, don't be too quick to point out your personal favorite. Sometimes if you get indecisive WITH your patient and then, very casually mention your same day 2nd and 3rd pair sales discounts, you will be surprised how your multiple sales will actually MULTIPY!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks buddy for sharing thsese tips.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Basic tips for lose lenses . Hilco selling the small bottles of " LATEX" . Simple apply inside the frame let it dry for a few hours and then mount the lessens back.
    I am using that a lot. So far no complaints.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gera View Post
    let it dry for a few hours and then mount the lessens back.
    you can put it in the hot air frame warmer on LOW and it'll be ready in a few min. if you do it hot though it'll bubble up. although the bubbles don't really hurt anything i guess. also if you start it too hot it'll case-harden, trapping the moisture inside, and then you'll have to either wait a few hours or turn the heat up to high.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basic tips for lose lenses . Hilco selling the small bottles of " LATEX" . Simple apply inside the frame let it dry for a few hours and then mount the lessens back.
    better yet, learn how to edge lenses so they fit the frame properly, then you won't have to use ALOT of that stuff!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So that's what I've been doing wrong with the latex. I put the stuff in the groove, then immediately put the lens in. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

And yes, it would be nice if the lenses were cut to fit the frame everytime but some of us don't do our own edging. Often the smaller lens (always the right one, because after they see how loose the right one is, they adjust the left one bigger) problem doesn't become apparent until the patient has worn them for 6 months. And they neglected to purchase the warranty, so you do what you gotta do.

Thanks for the tip, Gera. I'll just tell them to go away for a few hours until their glasses are "cured".

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually when it turns clear it's "Cured". Usually about 15-20 min. without heat, much less with.
    And if it takes about 6 months it was probably fine when edged. Lenses do shrink and frames (even) metal ones stretch.

Chip

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Latex works just like a lens washer. It is used to fill the bezel (yes, I said bezel) of the frame, effectively increasing the ED of the lens, thus making for a snugger fit. Just don't expect to make chicken salad out of chicken #@%^&*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
    The Latex works just like a lens washer. It is used to fill the bezel (yes, I said bezel) of the frame, effectively increasing the ED of the lens, thus making for a snugger fit. Just don't expect to make chicken salad out of chicken #@%^&*
    Well making chicken salad out of chicken chicken #@%^&* is part of the job description, now isn't it? The latex fix is only good for someone who is just trying to get by until their new glasses come in. It only works for a few months. Less in the summer.

Thread Information