Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:

While I can't do it, Titanium can also be welded in a bubble
    of Argon gas. I also learned in welding class I took recently that other "inert gasses, like CO2 are not really inert when the electrodes and heat get to flying around.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb cleaning glasses

Heres a faster way to clean glasses, spray them with any of the commercial lens cleaners, then rub it around good with your fingers, now instead of drying it, rinse it under hot water, just about all of the cleaner and water will disappear, blot dry any remaining water. This really works terrific with ar lenses.
    Last edited by harry a saake; 12-11-2003 at 08:36 PM.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More on cleaning Glasses

Some time back that if I hold the atomizer (spray cleaner) as far as possible from the object to be cleaned (glasses) there will still be more than an adequate supply of cleaner on the glasses (unless they are super grungy and need soap, a brush and water first) and the cleaner is whole lot easier to wipe dry.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

dispensing tip

Dispensing new progressive lenses! I have found patient adaptation is much smoother when i add panascopic tilt after i have finished edging the lenses, and make sure that there is some positive face form, this makes the moment of truth much smoother when the patient picks up their glasses!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb business cards, etc

i often notice when looking at various business cards from optical establishments, that they have a propensity to print the phone number as small as possible.
    .....Your phone is your lifeline and if anything should be in a large bold type print. Probably half the patients that frequent your establishment have trouble reading. Make it easy for them, print the phone number in LARGE BOLD TYPE, also stay away from fancy scroll, italics type numbers that can be hard to read.

One additional point - when you are trying something out of the ordinary, like golf segs, etc. be sure to let the lab know what you are doing. They might have additional input, and at least, they will be able to give you the product you expect with OC's where they should be. I remember doing a pair of progressives upside down for a surgeon who needed them for overhead viewing of equipment and x-rays while he worked. When discussing this with the optician, I offered the idea of adjusting the distance for nearer work area and I'm confident this saved me a "free" redo.

shutterbug

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have been looking for a forum like this for a while. It is great to see that we have others out there that do their due dilligence.

For cleaning off PAL marks, or any marks try Methal Hydrate. It is cheap, fast, good, and best of all, safe on Poly, AR, or whatever. It can be purchased at Canadian Tire, Home Depot, or where-ever (I hope not Walmart).

I wanted to ask you guys about cracking (star cracks) in poly four-points. We have had a lot of problems with these. We have recently switched to brass drills, but we use sharp drills, we do not let them get too hot, we use a lot of washers, and we still get them cracking.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    i hope this doesn't sound patronising, but are you over tightening the bolts?

Occupation
    shimsham said:
    i hope this doesn't sound patronising, but are you over tightening the bolts?
    No, that is a good question. I haven't been over tightening them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    and i'll assume you use a washer with a collar?

Occupation
    We currently use three washers. One metal and two plastic. The metal washer goes against the head of the screw, where the two plastic washers touch each side of the lens. It is actually my lab who is doing it (I used to do them, but they took too long), but we have had a lot cracking. Essentially I have to get rid of the product if I do not find a solution.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    just check with them if they are using a collared washer. i don't know if you have seen them but they are plastic, and look like basic plastic washers with the exception of a cylinder of additional plastic that has the same circumfrence as the hole and stands around 2mm high. it lines the hole drilled into the lens giving it a cushion against the bolt. again, sorry if this is patronising!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb drilling

Are you drilling the right size hole, if so what size hole are you drilling with what kind of a bit, what are you using specifically to drill it with, at what RPM,s and also are you drilling the holes at the correct angle?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Diamond Tools

Went to Harbor Frieght tools the other day, they had some thin diamond cut off wheels on sale as a set with arbors for dremel type tools. These will cut though anything, they go through glass like hot butter. Will cut any metal part on any frame fast.

Best part, they were on sale, six for about $ 2.99.

http:\\www.harborfreight.com

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb second pairs

Heres a tip for selling a second pair, suggest a frame that comes with a clip and then explain to them how they now have a spare pair of glasses, plus the sunglass.

Regarding the poly on the 4 points cracking: a common problem i believe comes with the inherent traits of poly. I would suggest Trivex material like the Trilogy lens. Not only is the material better suited for drill mount use but far superior optically than poly! I believe the Trivex material having a high abbe value and the safety of poly plus is very tintable makes it the best choice for your problem. SEEEE You!! Grace Angel

Occupation
    I want to thank you all for your suggestions on poly cracking. I got my lab to purchase some OMS edgit and it sounds like it is doing the trick.

I have tired Trivex (Phoenix) and I was no more happy than with poly. I am a -5.75 and -5.50 and I could not tell the difference in the abbe values. Additionally, I was not happy with the thickness of trivex and have heard that it has cracked too. I use the Essilor Airwear Aspheric lens for all of my poly, and I feel that it is a nicer lens than the trivex lens.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    the airwear is excellent and the only reactolite i would use in a rimless, only problem is the cost but if your customers are happy to pay, then...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb fitting frames with magnetic clips

One needs to excersice more caution with these frames, in making sure that they fit as they come off the board. If you try and bend in the end pieces, usually the clip will not fit right afterward, unless you bend on the clip itself, which is usually not advisable.
    .....The same holds true if you try to obtain a few degrees of pantoscoptic or retroscoptic tilt, you will also wind up with the situation of now having to adjust the clip itself. This is based on using frames where the magnets are on the ends of the frame.
    .....Some of the mag clips where the magnets are in the center of the frame will give you much more leeway.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In another thread...

Bev asked for ideas to color code frames for pricing...make a rectangular template from cardboard and use different color permanent markers. Inexpensive and you don't have to make room in a drawer for all the different color tags.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb eyelashes

this will work sometimes with ladies, when you have a close fitting frame, and the eyelashes touch, suggest to them that they curl them.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That's brilliant Harry!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb focimeter and dark lenses

When nuetralizing a dark lens, it is often most difficult to find the sphere/cylinder lines at first, more especially if its a high power lens.
    .....To speed this process, after turning on the focimeter, first set the axis wheel to the proper axis if needed, next turn the power drum to what the sphere power should be.
    .....Now when you set the lens in front of the stop, you should be able to move it a slightly one way or the other and see the sphere lines, and then set the lens table at the right height.

Bad address email on file carlee105's Avatar

Confused Rayban Frames

We sell the Rayban frames that are large and wrap around, and metal.

Alot of times, someone will want their prescription in one of these. The trouble I've encountered is this.......
    they have a MINUS rx, like a -200. The demo lenses in these frames are 8 bases, so to accomodate the curve of the frame, I surface their Minus rx on an 8 base.

It's not good optics, but some patients won't listen. Then , when they come to pick them up, they wonder why the edges are thicker and why the bevel around the top looks like it's not mounted correctly.

If anybody has an idea to share with me, please respond. It's summer time coming on and I look for alot of this to occur.

Thanks, Carolyn

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's probably worse than that, I think if you check most of these Ray-Ban Wraps are 9 base. You are putting 8 base lenses in them, which you can sorta get a mediocre result with sometimes.

I have had so many poor results with this as you describe, I just tell them It can't be done on a 9 base. With few exceptions this gets me off the hook but then I have access to a lot of biker trade that I am turning down because of this.

Chip

Thread Information