Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast

Thread: TIPS ON DISPENSING

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also welding the tounge in the spring sleve works. On some just peening it will last until replacement temple arrives.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We always clamp it down. Use the rivet clamp in the back with the part that has the thinner metal end (you have to love technical terms) and do a slight punch. Holds it for a long while.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

salt pans

These are so typically one of the most disgusting items you see in optical offices, as some just never seem to change the salt. I imagine that 2 cans of salt might cost 5.00

If you think about it, look how much stuff winds up in your salt pan on a daily basis, everyones sweat, ear wax, geri curl, anything else women and men put in there hair, maybe even some dried blood.

i cant imagine how much bacteria must live in these salt pans, and i realize a certain amount of it gets killed by heat, but what about the rest?

In short guys, change the salt more often, i visited one of my stores recently where the salt had been in this pan so long it was brown.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who uses salt anymore Harry?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What are you using coolant for? Good point for being very careful with peanut oil. Before I do anything with a grooved lense I put the specs in the ultrasound. It's amazing how much gunk collects in the nylon, not to mention the nosepads:finger:

The office I'm in now has been using lamp oil for removing the markings on progressive lenses. Anyone have any comments on this?

Ol' Dog

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    A little tip for your tools , especially your screwdrivers. If you want to keep them sterile so you dont pick up a germ when you slip and stab yourself, as we all have, keep them sitting in hydrogen peroxide while there not being used.
    Putting screwdriver tips in hydrogen peroxide - does this rust them? I have a keen student who soaked our tools in bleach overnight. What a mess.

Ol' Dog

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

salt pans

sorry Chip, i forgot you are still using cone heaters

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

peroxide

old dog, no it will not rust them if dried right away, actuually you just need a couple of hours as the peroxide will dissipate and be useless

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:

Actually I had a set of cone heaters at my last place of employment, when I left I was given the priviledge of light fingering any thing I wanted. For some reason I didn't take them. Wish I had today. Didn't really know what they were for at the time.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    old dog, no it will not rust them if dried right away, actuually you just need a couple of hours as the peroxide will dissipate and be useless
    have you tested that? our dr used to keep tweezers and such in hydrogen peroxide and they did rust. he now keeps them in metracide i think.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

This may be of more use to fishermen than opticians but..

All my life I have been worried with fishing line spools that unravel with time. I've tried rubber bands (which rot), string, tape, gum and what not.

Believe it or not this also a problem in the optical business as we have to have a couple rolls around for chord mount frames.

Well, It finally hit me that I have very small drill bits, so I too a bit just a little larger than the diameter of the line and drilled two holes about a quarter inch apart in the outer edge of the spool. Threaded the end of the line through and it won't unravel any more.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I put a notch on the edges of the spool to hold the mono. One quick hit with the Dremel does the job. Works great.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

mono

another way is just to cut up a whole number of these 3 inches long, you will seldom if ever use one longer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frame bevels

now that at least 37 different frame bevels have been identified, it would probably be good to ask the frame rep, or the manufacturer, just what type bevel does this frame have, especially if you are doing in house edging

Occupation

Re-Blocking Small Lens

i recently needed to re-block a lens to fine it again. but being a plus, it was smaller than the chill ring on my surface blocker. the solution was to use a wax chip to 'spoon' some liquid wax out of the reservoir into a finished sv lens with a back curve similar to the front curve of the lens to be re-fined, then while the wax was still hot press the small lens into it. then i marked the 180 on the edges of the finished lens and blocked as usual. see image attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04001.jpg  

Occupation
    A friend of mine works for such a tightwad he can't even get lens liner even though two thirds of the lenses they send him are too small. His solution to this problem is to take the riged plastic zip-lock part of a plastic bag, trim it down and insert this piece of plastic between the lens and metal frame. Believe it or not it works.

Occupation
    i believe it works. i just don't believe it's cheaper.

penny-wise, pound-foolish.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eva View Post
    A friend of mine works for such a tightwad he can't even get lens liner even though two thirds of the lenses they send him are too small. His solution to this problem is to take the riged plastic zip-lock part of a plastic bag, trim it down and insert this piece of plastic between the lens and metal frame. Believe it or not it works.
    OpticaLabRat's lens "liner" trick with the superglue works great. Have your friend try it. You can get 3 tubes of superglue in a package at the dollar store for . . . $1.

Occupation
    I assume you are leting the glue dry in the eye wire before putting the lens back?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    OpticaLabRat's lens "liner" trick with the superglue works great. Have your friend try it. You can get 3 tubes of superglue in a package at the dollar store for . . . $1.
    What post number was it? I didn't see it.

Occupation
    After seeing some of the damage patients have done with super glue I try to keep it as far away from a pair of eyeglasses as possible. It does have it's purpose in some situations but there is not time to let super glue dry. As for the cost, I'm talking about those little plastic baggies frames come in. We throw them away when they are worn out any way.

Occupation

Thumbs up

ok, i see now. that's clever. i fully endorse the reuse of materials that would otherwise go in the trash.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

mounting and unmounting semi rimleesss lenses

I have finally found one of the best ways ever of doing this task

normally most of us use the little ribbons that are usually packed in with the monafilament, or we make our own from strapping material from a delivery box

the problems with the ribbons is they often tend to leave an annoying little piece in the groove under the mono, and now you cant get it out, unless you unmount the lens. the heavy strapping materials are more prone to chipping the edge of the lens as they are heavy and course.

so instead of all these items use a piece of monofilament, about 10 pound test is plenty. make it about a foot long, so you have plenty of room to grab onto it with your hands.

this provides excellent torque and leverage, so you can work the piece of mono around the lens, the best part is when you take it out, it comes out so easy, as the mono is round and somewhat slippery and does not chip the edge, do it a few times and you will never want to use one of those little ribbons again

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee Harry, when I said that, you said it could chip the lens groove.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

removing grooved rimless without chipping

[QUOTE=Jo;8063]This one may not be as relevant today as it was a few years ago but ...

If a tempered glass lens comes out of a heat treat or chem unit with a spot on it, often (not always) a pencil eraser will get it off.

Now my search for an answer. What is anyone's method for removing a lens from a grooved rimless mount whithout chipping it when it is in there good and extra snug.

[This message has been edited by Jo (edited 10-30-2000).][/QUOTE
    Don't use plastic for rimless grooves.

Thread Information