Thread: Readers, readers, readers...

Occupation
    Optometrist

Readers, readers, readers...

I hope this isn't old hat, but I'm struggling with my approach to readers.

I feel I should carry them as a convenience, like cloths, cases, cleaner, etc., but I don't have much of a walk-in market for them. It's more for the in-house CL wearers, post-LASIK, and the sort. I don't expect much of a profit center, but I'd like to make it somewhat worthwhile.

My problem: I'm having difficulty maintaining inventory. I'd like to have only 2-3 good styles so I can represent most colors and powers, but narrowing it is difficult. I've even tried all one color in a given style, with a larger selection of styles. The point is, there are too many different combinations to stock, with all the powers and everything, especially if we are not big half-eye sellers!

Not only that, but I'm not enjoying working with my current suppliers. Does anyone have a suggestion? Hilco's are easy to deal with, but ugly. California Optical Leather's go discontinued constantly, and it's more a bulk purchase type of thing from them. I've looked at Scojo, but they would require a bit more $ investment (which I'm willing to do, but I don't want mistakes).

Help. My rotating display is a hodge-podge of colors, styles, and powers.

Does anyone have a good philosophy on this?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    drk, we have never carried them; I might be tempted to recommend a particular power to someone and be nabbed for practicing optometry? besides, i'm into folks having their best vision, and that rarely happens with ready mades...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

readers

drk, I put them in last year for phaco patients(directley after surgery) but never charge for them,, its has been a great tool. give them a $3.00 set of readers to help in a pinch and they WILL be back to buy specs!
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Dr. (an MD) insisted on carrying them. I have been having the same trouble that you have. Once I whittle down my stock, I'm putting in a line of readers from Europa. They're rimless with plastic temples, come in 3 or 4 colors and wholesale for about $5.00. They even come with a case. The initial buy-in is a full display, but I think they display comes with. I forget how many pieces fit in the display. After the initial purchase, you buy them in any quantity. It's impossible to stay stocked with all powers, colors, models, and prices ranges that patients may, or may not, want. So I'm giving up. If they don't like what I have, they can try at the dollar store!

Has anyone else tried Europa Readers?

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    thought Europa was out of business?? I guess i've missed the point; so it's fine to do a $3K refractive procedure, and all it takes to see from there is some $3 readers? no wonder eyewear consumers are so confused...so , over here we have rx frames and decent ones are anywhere from $70 to $125, plus the rx lenses, so the pt could see really good with a -0.75 cyl on the o.s and has +1.00 D difference in rx but a reader is free, so why have him spend $150-$200 for glasses that he could actually see better with? we see people like this frequently, folks that are 3-4 months post lasik that have 20/30-40 binocular near vision with the readers from the surgeons office, they get a refraction for glasses, that they didn't get at all post op, and voila, they get glasses that they can see with, doesn't make sense does it? And these folks that needs near rx post op, what do they do in their sunglasses? or at the pc? they're not without the need of rx eyewear..

Occupation
    Optometrist

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had success with both the Ergo Readers from Eye-Magine and Scojo Gel sun readers. Never have had problems with frame adjustments, they are stylish - plus they hold up much better than ordinary OTC drugstore readers or "cheap" readers.

Thread Information