Thread: Which one?

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar

Transitions or Sunsensors

Which is better, transistions or sunsensors and why?
    Last edited by April_01; 08-10-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    SignetArmorlite is making Kodak lenses (including the Kodak Precise PAL) with a new and just released photochromic technology that they are calling InstaShades. Available in gray and brown. Just wanted to complicate your life!

Transitions (Transitions Optical), SunSensors (Corning Optical) and InstaShades (SignetArmorlite) are all different from each other, technically, in the way that the light sensitive dye is put into the lens. But I only know from what I have read on the Internet. No experience with any of it, personally.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:31 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar
    Thanks, that's all I need! :)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Photochromics and highway driving

Since driving is one of the common situations where sun protection is desired, let me volunteer what I have read: Transitions, SunSensors and from all that I have read so far, also the new InstaShades -- they will not go all the way to their darkest tint inside of a car. They need UV to darken and auto windshields filter out UV. (Not sure what happens when driving a convertible with the top down.) As far as I know, all of the plastic photochromic lenses are alike in this regard. There are GLASS photochromic lenses that will darken fully inside a car. As I usually add, I am a consumer, not a professional, and certainly cannot make any kind of recommendation.

Be aware: Transitions (Transitions Optical), SunSensors (Corning Optical) and InstaShades (SignetArmorlite) are all different from each other, technically, in the way that the light sensitive dye is put into the lens.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Rinselberg,

No photochromic lens, including glass will darken enough to satisfy driving requirements. Open windows, sunroofs and convertibles will allow some darkening but not to the comfort of a good driving sunlens (see polarized sunlens!)

When comparing photochromic lenses be sure to consider these key points.

Do the lenses offer the best blend of photochromic performance qualities (clarity, darkness and speed) or is one or more of these qualities compromised?
    Are the lenses available in premium designs and lens materials?
    Can the lens be AR Coated with premium brands?
    Is the lens material strong enough to fit the frames you offer, including 3 piece frames?
    Will the lens block 100% of harmfull uv rays?
    Are the lenses available in impact resistant materials and safe to offer to children?
    Can your lab process the order to the specifications and combination of products and materials you need?

April_01, make sure you look at the total picture when differentiating all products..

Only Transitions Lenses can meet all of these key points.

best regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoard Apprentice

Hot photochromics

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schafer

Do the lenses offer the best blend of photochromic performance qualities (clarity, darkness and speed) or is one or more of these qualities compromised?
    Speaking as a consumer who is currently obsessed with a single issue, I'd like to know which photochromic materials offer the widest light-to-dark range at high temperatures, say 90-100(F).

I am about to upgrade from T-III and this is a crucial issue to me, much more so than activation in a car.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hello EyeSpecSo,
    The best performance at 90° + is Transitions 1.50 Gray and 1.50 Brown (also known as Next Generation, launched in 1992).
    We formulated these products for high temperatures. Your ECP should have samples for demonstration.
    best regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Jim, did you mean "launched in 2002 ? you said 1992....there is a tremendous difference in the T-III lenses and the TNG. the TNGs darken in like 25-30 seconds instead of 3 minutes..lighten much faster too, and come almost clear indoors. about 30% of our clientele opt for TNG lenses and all love them..

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Texas Ranger,
    Oh Man, I went dyslexic!...NG was launched in 2002. Thanks for product review.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

OptiBoard Apprentice
    The best performance at 90° + is Transitions 1.50 Gray and 1.50 Brown (also known as Next Generation, launched in 1992).
    We formulated these products for high temperatures.
    Thank you, Jim. Knowing that you're located in central Florida, I hoped that might be the case. And I hope you all who are dear to you got through the hurricane with body and soul intact.

My ECP gave me a very hard sell for Kodak Instashades with a generic AR called Satin. I was interested in Velocity or Colormatic Extra and Krizal Alize, but finally gave in when she pointed out that I have thirty days to change my mind. As consumers go, I'm usually rather easy-going, but this time I intend to exercise my option if I'm less than fully satisfied. I was very uncomfortable with the high-pressure sales job. (FWIW, I wear progressives for presbyopia.)

Also, I've always been very happy with my Transitions III lenses, but in the past year I've started spending a lot more time outdoors, so their high-temperature deficiencies have become much more annoying. They were a great product when I got them, but I'm glad it's time for a new prescription.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Transitions III don't work as well after about 2 1/2 years, which may be what's giving you the problems.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet
    Transitions III don't work as well after about 2 1/2 years, which may be what's giving you the problems.
    I'm sure that's part of it. My current lenses were at about the 2.5 year mark in April or May. I was spending more time outdoors, hence more exposure, and the the temperature was rising. It was probably the perfect setting for a demonstration of photochromic fatigue.

As the summer has progressed, the dark end of these lenses' range has become noticably lighter. And that has added to my dissatisfaction. But I do realize that fatigue is unavoidable, although there seem to be improvements in this area.

So it's true that I can't accurately judge just how dark these lenses would be at 90 degrees (F), if their performance hadn't been affected by fatigue. I just know that I want my next lenses to perform as well as possible at high temperatures, and I'll deal with the fatigue when it happens.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Good Morning EyeSpecSo,
    Have your ecp take a surfaced sample (similar powers or 2 mm CT plano lens would be a good choice, or a sample of the thinnest lens your ecp may have. SF lens blanks do not show the deficiency as well or as fast) of the Signet lens and a Transitions NG, leave them outside for 10 minutes in 90° heat. The Signet lens will activate fast and start bleaching back as soon as the heat gets to it. In the end it will not do as well as your current TIII. This is why I posted the performance points to consider and look for the compromises some companies made in their technology.
    regards,
    Jim
    Jim Schafer

Paul Brown

OptiBoard Apprentice
    The Signet lens will activate fast and start bleaching back as soon as the heat gets to it. In the end it will not do as well as your current TIII. This is why I posted the performance points to consider and look for the compromises some companies made in their technology.
    Thanks again for your information, Jim. This is exactly the sort of comparison I was looking for.

Following your earlier lead, I have now discovered that Transitions publishes transmittance graphs at 95(F) for the 1.50 gray and brown lenses. I'm impressed. I haven't found transmittance data above 80(F) for any other lenses yet, but I'm still looking.

Of course, you're right about the importance of considering all factors. Right now, I'm very single-minded about the issue of darkening at high temperatures. But once that's settled, I will be concerned about the other performance points.

I'll see how the "Instashades" lenses perform. Meanwhile, the independent optometrist I've dealt with for the past decade has probably lost a patient/client/consumer, or whatever I am. (ECC - Eye Care Consumer?) I do not appreciate being steered to a product I didn't want, which doesn't do what I wanted it to do.

Thread Information