Thread: Silhouette Problems

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silhouette Problems

Has anyone had problems with the Silhouette drill mounts finish coming off the titanium frames? Also, just curious to see how many people have had alot of people coming in with broken parts.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Can't say that I've ever had that problem and I've sold way to many of them, the biggest problem I had with them is finding the nosepad after it pops off while cleaning.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never had a problem with the finish. Had a few brakes, thou.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had breakage problems, and our rep blamed our lab...we kept the lab but dropped the line. -No more breakage...(well, not many anyway.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never carrried the Silhoutte rimless, but I've ordered a dozen or so bridges that have broken!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We've sold hundreds, and have had most of them back with some sort of breakage of metal or colour peeling away, but maybe that's because of our hot sticky humid climate.

To be fair to Silhouette, the majority of breakages have happened to the original frames from the first year or so, After they changed the thickness of the titanium, they seem to be a bit better on breakages.

It's quite amusing to see how the really cheap Far Eastern S/Steel copies have held up just as well, in some cases much better than the Titans.

It makes you wonder !!!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Noble
    We've sold hundreds, and have had most of them back with some sort of breakage of metal or colour peeling away, but maybe that's because of our hot sticky humid climate.

To be fair to Silhouette, the majority of breakages have happened to the original frames from the first year or so, After they changed the thickness of the titanium, they seem to be a bit better on breakages.

It's quite amusing to see how the really cheap Far Eastern S/Steel copies have held up just as well, in some cases much better than the Titans.

It makes you wonder !!!!!
    Hmm...now I'm reconsidering my position on the Silhouettes.

Do you people believe that the problem is from poorly made frames? Or just need better lenses?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by dadoody
    Hmm...now I'm reconsidering my position on the Silhouettes.

Do you people believe that the problem is from poorly made frames? Or just need better lenses?
    the original titans did have a problem with the bridge breaking, but since they redesigned it a few years ago , no more problem, I suspect that a lot of the broken ones are the original design.

in my opinion you should still go with silhouette.they do have to be glazed by
    a lab with some experience, and an expert technician, if the holes are not drilled correctly it puts a lot of strain on the lens and mounts.

you just need to find the optician who can put the whole package together and uses a reputable lab.
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ikon44
    the original titans did have a problem with the bridge breaking, but since they redesigned it a few years ago , no more problem, I suspect that a lot of the broken ones are the original design.

in my opinion you should still go with silhouette.they do have to be glazed by
    a lab with some experience, and an expert technician, if the holes are not drilled correctly it puts a lot of strain on the lens and mounts.

you just need to find the optician who can put the whole package together and uses a reputable lab.
    How do I go about finding an optician "who can put the whole package together and uses a reputable lab."? I'm new to purchasing my own eyeglasses, and I'm not sure how to go about researching opticians.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are fortunate enough to have a prescriber that gave you the Rx without promoting and optical shop in which he had a financial interest, ask the doctor he should know who does good work.

Chip:cheers:
    Last edited by chip anderson; 08-06-2004 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Left out the S

OptiBoard Apprentice
    I usually got my prescriptions from the optical shops themselves, lenscrafters, pearle vision, etc.

Thread Information