Thread: Air bags in cars

Bad address email on file Di822's Avatar

Is anyone as concerned as I about the dangers of airbags? I have had several people just this year who were involved in small accidents where their airbags came out and hit them in the face. They had injuries around the eyes from the metal frames. One had bad bruises from the nosepads. Thank God their lenses didn't shatter. Only one was wearing polycarb. I know we don't especially like the ABBE values of poly, but are we going to end up liable for not informing the patients of the dangers of their lenses? I never, never put children and teens in anything but poly, but most adults think they are SAFE with cr-39. I know all about DUTY TO WARN. I even have a form for them to sign....but due to shortcuts and very busy days, I don't always tell the patients the difference in the types of lenses. It opens up another can of worms that takes another 10 min. I end up feeling like I am just trying to sell them something else.
    Do any of you have any stories about injured patients with airbags? Do you practice Duty to Warn?

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

I attended a seminar in November - SOLA rep; she mentioned something to the effect that poly was the only lens material that could withstand an airbag "incident". Of course, pre-trivex era.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Di822:

We had four airbag incidents, that I know of, this past winter. They all involved broken frames and one of them involved a cracked CR-39 lens.

We also had one person, a builder, who had a shelving unit fall on him and break a frame, chip a CR-39 lens and earn him stitches across the forehead. He was in an administrative position and not a worker so he didn't think he would be at risk for injury. I think I already told my story in the Polycarbonate Thread about the fellow who's face got pulled into his car engine. He bent the frame badly, put a dent in poly lenses and also required stitches.

I am comfortable with the impact resistance of poly; however, I am not sold on the subject of "duty to warn." I think you need to be very clear about what exactly you are trying to say about poly. Yes, the lens is more impact resistant than plastic. However, unless the eyewear is Z-87, the same cannot be claimed about the frame. If you put poly in a thin, stainless steel frame and a person is hit in the face by an airbag they still may be injured by the frame. I feel it is important that the customer understands that the lens is less likely to crack or shatter and not be given the impression that their eyewear is indestructable. It is that whole "scratch proof" vs. "scratch resistant" issue. If you imply that the entire set of eyewear, frame and lens, is impact resistant, what is to say the Px won't wear them in situations where Z-87 frames are more appropriate?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have a patient who owns an automotive body shop. He had an insurance investigator come by to inspect a damaged vehicle on which the air bag did not deploy. The agent was in the car, put the key in the ignition and turned it, the bag deployed and broke his neck (killed him). Of course, this is a small price to pay for the many benefits of a government who looks after us, like it or not.

Chip

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    :) :)

If you consider that a tempered glass lens will withstand a "first impact" in excess of 600 lbs PSI, and lens of CR-39 at least twice that, and poly even stronger than CR-39 by a factor of 3....and you are wearing a pair of lenses that fail.......I PROMISE you that the failed lens will not be your biggest problem!

------------------
    Harry J

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Jo made an interesting point concerning "Duty to Warn." I try to explain to my patients (who usually dutifully try to ignore me) that, if you can't wear dress shoes to an activity, you probably shouldn't wear dress eyewear either (this covers most activities, such as mowing, sports, biking, etc.).

I suppose driving a car falls outside of this example, but hcjilson makes a good observation on that scenario. I would imagine an airbag deployment is going to cause more problems related to the metal frame than to CR-39, or even glass, lenses.

When mounted/tempered properly, crown glass is actually a pretty strong material. It would be interesting to see if there are any statistics out there regarding eyewear and airbag deployments- kinda doubt it, though.

Pete

Thread Information