Thread: First Time Glasses - Looking For Progressive Advice

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

First Time Glasses - Looking For Progressive Advice

Hi,

I am 46 and am starting to have problems reading which is not surprising. Previously I was told that I was slightly farsighted with mild astigmatism, although I have never worn glasses. My optometrist gave me the following prescription:

OD +1.50 -.75 x 065 Add +1.25
    OS +0.50 -.25 x 115 Add +1.25

I was told that I could just get reading glasses, or I could get office progressives or regular progressives. I work in Information Technology, so work with computers all day and also need to read and occasionally give presentations. I think that progressives would be the most convenient for me. I am thinking that regular progressives would likely make the most sense given my differing vision needs and inconvenience of having to take off and put on glasses all the time at work.

I am looking for smaller frames that would suit my vision needs. Any recommendations on makes of lenses that would work best for my needs?

Thanks,

Colin

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

First Time .......................

Quote Originally Posted by cbb
    Hi,

I am 46 and am starting to have problems reading ............................................

I could get office progressives or regular progressives. I work in Information Technology, so work with computers all day .................................

I think that progressives would be the most convenient for me........................
    At your age , plus a first time bifocal purchaser, you are a perfect case for progressive lenses.

However you should be aware that most progressive are made just about the same way and the brand name is mostly a competition and money angle.

Advice: Do not get a small narrow frame because of the progressive part the lenses requires a minimum height of 24mm from the center of pupil to the lower edge for maximum confort and largest reading part. There are some lenses with a shorter progressive part but for your work which is desk work you want the reding portion of the lens at its maximum.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    cbb, In addition to Chris's post, i'd like to say that i've been fitting no-line praogressive lenses since 1978...I primarily fit pal designs by Varilux, they are available in cr-39(plastic); transitions photosensitve, high index 1.60, polycarbonate, ultra high index 1.67, polarized plastic and polarized polycarbonate, as well as photo-bronze high-index glass...lenses should be anti-reflective processed to allow optimum light transmission, though some in the industry have the opinion that all pal lenses are essentially the same, I will assure you that they are not...and btw, if you spend a lot of time at a pc, you should get a seperate set of glasses for pc use. and don't leave out the near rx out of your sunwear...also, invest in a quality frame, you appreciate the investment in a couple years..

Since you are a hyperope, you may have better optics in a Zeiss Gradal. Mention this to the dispensor who you purchase your specs from, and they will give you their bent.

The Zeiss has a wide and crisp intermediate for your computer use as well. (mid range vision)

Thread Information