Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: LC

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

LC

Anyone walk into an LC recently? Try it, I'm intereseted in the feedback. I personally don't know what to think. Thanks.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm bumping this one. LC has completely revamped their approach to the sales process. This is the first new sales approach in 11 years. Apparently it worked so well in the very limited test markets they tried it in that they have introduced it company wide. I think they accidently did everyone else a favour. Feedback please.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are doing very extensive marketing and are going high end. I haven't gone into one lately though.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Everyone needs to walk into an LC to scope 'em out. Things have changed.
    Last edited by edKENdance; 08-05-2004 at 09:55 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    edKendance said:

Everyone needs to walk into an LC to scope 'em out. Things have changed. I am an LC employee. Not happy.

So have you heard any news of the Sears Optical take over?:bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance
    I'm bumping this one. LC has completely revamped their approach to the sales process. This is the first new sales approach in 11 years. Apparently it worked so well in the very limited test markets they tried it in that they have introduced it company wide. I think they accidently did everyone else a favour. Feedback please.
    Could you help those of us who have not been into a LensCrafters recently? Please describe the changes you allude to in this and your other messages.
    Thanks.
    Gil

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ahh.. CustomEyes

When I first saw your post, I thought you might be talking about the new graphics and paint scheme they have been testing. I no longer have red in the store.. it has been replaced with a very pale green. The graphics are also changing quarterly since they are now heavy wall scrolls instead of the boxy canvas.

For those not in the know, LensCrafters has recently intruduced CustomEyes which is meant to be a consultative sales approach. I think what Ken is worried about is that it can come off as high pressure.

As far as Cole, we have not heard anything. It took a week for them to send out a memo telling us that the acquisition took place. Most of it is being kept hush hush from us store associates.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee
    When I first saw your post, I thought you might be talking about the new graphics and paint scheme they have been testing. I no longer have red in the store.. it has been replaced with a very pale green. The graphics are also changing quarterly since they are now heavy wall scrolls instead of the boxy canvas.

For those not in the know, LensCrafters has recently intruduced CustomEyes which is meant to be a consultative sales approach. I think what Ken is worried about is that it can come off as high pressure.

As far as Cole, we have not heard anything. It took a week for them to send out a memo telling us that the acquisition took place. Most of it is being kept hush hush from us store associates.
    I spoke to a colleague at the Evil Empire. He said the process is now to analyze customers' wants/needs before looking at any frame or discussing lens types. This sounds like what I do all the time. I asked him how that works at 2pm on Saturday. He told me he has a shortened version for those busy times, because he isn't allowed to have the appropriate coverage for it to work. I worked for LC for 10 years (awhile ago), and I believe that until they add payroll/labor hours, nothing like this will work. I hope nobody in a position to act will read this, I don't want to give them ideas on how to improve.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey Jubilee, I was referring to Customeyes. I'm not so much concerned that it comes off as high pressure but rather that it doesn't seem to suit our market here. I'm just interested to know what others think of this approach when they walk into an LC. Apparently the reason they've adopted it company wide is due to great success in Boston, SanFran, Toronto and Vancouver. I live in the middle.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So I guess they are not doing the "point of service" anymore?

I always remember that being so horrid.... I felt like a robot. I will say however, that LC was very good to me... I worked with them for 8 years before heading into private practice.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Another Fad

It was a good idea in theory I suppose. The problem is, when you tell Bubba from backwoods Alabama "Let's go shopping!", you better be talking about shopping for a new tractor - and even then it's risky.
    Maybe it's just too early to tell, but I think this new sales approach is going to go the way of every other one I've seen in my 6 1/2 years with LC. After a few weeks, the associates will decide it's too much trouble and go back to their old habits.
    I do agree with Spexvet's observation that what they are trying to do is what any successful optician already does (although without hiring a consultant to tell them how to do it). Personally I think it's pretty bad when you have to beat it into people that they're supposed to GREET THE CUSTOMER. Can we all let out a collective "Duh!"? Not having had the pleasure of going through the new training myself, I'm still in the dark as to what to do with the Accufit calipers now. They're not mentioned in the new training literature. Maybe Theresa Heinz Kerry has some suggestions.

If you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna go cuss due to the fact that I'm thinking about work while on vacation...

Not having had the pleasure of going through the new training myself, I'm still in the dark as to what to do with the Accufit calipers now. They're not mentioned in the new training literature. Maybe Theresa Heinz Kerry has some suggestions.
    If you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna go cuss due to the fact that I'm thinking about work while on vacation...
    I approve.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrba
    I approve.
    HA! SHOCKING! :hammer:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Blake, as far as I know we were supposed to toss the acufitters. None of our frames have numbers on them now. I can't believe that if they're going to take the idea to the extent that they have that they haven't redesigned the entire floor scheme according to the shape of the lens. Hmmm, you should try our *square* section.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey, when I was with the "silly empire" Sears Optical in the '90s, they rolled out some fancy-schmancy sales technique/professionalism enhancer called "Future Vision" (cue fanfare in background) that went over like a lead balloon. But no one was willing to say the emperor had no clothes, and it deservedly died a quiet, lonely death.

Chains shouldn't be so ambitious; you have to crawl before you can stand up before you can walk before you can run. Chains would be more realistic to aspire to traveling on all fours.
    Last edited by drk; 03-28-2005 at 05:06 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Couldn't delete what I originally posted so I've changed my message.
    Last edited by edKENdance; 08-06-2004 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis
    HA! SHOCKING! :hammer:
    Next time I'll be sure to turn up the voltage...

OptiBoard Novice

CustomEyes Good for LC or the Consumer

Tell me what you think?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Public101, was this your idea? Enquiring minds...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by drk
    Chains shouldn't be so ambitious; you have to stand up before you can crawl before you can walk before you can run. Chains would be more realistic to aspire to traveling on all fours.
    Chains are usually corporate ruled. Corporations are very politically oriented. Lot's of infighting at the top levels. Therefore lots of red tape and whoever makes it to the top levels implicates his own followers and policies.

Every time a top level has some changes and new systems and ways of doing things are introduced..................if they work or not migh be a different matter.

This is why an independent has an advantage.........they can make changes anytime...............if they are bad...........reverse and go back, or to something else.

OptiBoard Novice

No I could have developed a customer friendly sales tool. I feel it is a bad move for LC. I see it generating negative sales and creating returns and remakes in the future. Also I know that most employees don't want to use it. We will be using it or loose our jobs.

This idea was developed by a person that does not understand that the customer runs the show and is in charge of our future. You can't sell a new eyewear customer four pair of glasses and expect them to retun next year and take another hit.

I think there are many employees of LC that want to vent a little about it so here is a way that they can with out risking their jobs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jubilee said:

As far as Cole, we have not heard anything. It took a week for them to send out a memo telling us that the acquisition took place. Most of it is being kept hush hush from us store associates.[/QUOTE]

Sears has something like the CustomEyes. But like anything else it's basically
    trying to sell the cutomer more than he or she wants and trying to justify it as salesmanship. They advertise all these great buys and when the cutomer comes in you are supposed to up sell them to buy more by using there selling technique which only works part of the time. This used to be a proud profession now it's just turned into a dog eat dog optical world, one I don't like. If there was a job in the private sector that would pay in western N.Y. I would be gone in a N.Y. second.:(

OptiBoard Novice

As a professional with years of real training I think that you are correct.

On a nother note.

It will all be over when LC gets a law suit from a customer for violation of their privacy using customeyes method. Then they will understand that the customer is in control. This is a regulated profession and you can't just ask personal questions about a customers life and style in todays world with out written consent.

Think so?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the bump by the way.

Several months into this thing and if I have learned anything at all, it is the tremendous amount of money a company like this can throw down the drain. How many trees perished as a result of the billion CE worksheets that were created and than discarded? How long did the clipboards last, maybe a week? They've streamlined the "process" back so far it's almost non-existent. Now the new dress code and "sports jackets" which don't actually look too bad but how many pairs of kakkies and suits purchased for work are going to collect dust and how long will the new "goth" look last?
    In regards to your question about the customers privacy publi101, I think a lawsuit might be a bit of a stretch. It was a common sense technique used before CE came around. I wonder if the team that came up with this concept are enjoying a good life?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Custom Eyes

I think maybe they could use it as a training tool for new associates to teach them what questions they should ask and not shove this thing down everyones throat.I know alot of people that don't like it and feel it is too high pressure because LC wants to sell multiples and that is their focus right now.I think if they keep this persuit up they are going to lose alot of good people.

p.s. just my opinion

Thread Information