Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: LC

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter casey's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jediron1

perhaps I am naive. At 50, I'd dislike thinking that. I've worked in 5 states, 2 provinces and Germany. Perhaps your inability to spell has something to do with your feelings of entrapment. I'm glad you read my posts personally. I WAS you (little doubt:It's also about your age and education. And The family."The whole catastrophe". I did it. I'll chew off my leg before I live or work in discomfort or disrepute again. Education and a sincere love of our trade sent me down a road of enlightenment that led to a sweet gig. So many people in our trade consider themselves a 'second income'. Many others feel their gender or lack of formal education erodes their self esteem; their confidence. Hell, What we ARE as People. I'm starting to sound mysogynistic and that is not my intention. I ran into a lot of it and watched people blame women for our penury. Horsefeathers. I meet and read far too many opticians that cannot read and/or write. THERE is our problem in our trade: Ignorance. Not gender, age, ethnicity, nuthin. My Rx? Hard work. Mentoring(this board is an incarnation),apprenticeship. It works. Above all, Literacy: It lifted us from slavery. There is part of the sad part about Lensburgers. Who's teaching whom? I was there. 5 years, on and off. Answer? No one is teaching.
    Do my previous posts make any more sense, now?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    perhaps I am naive. At 50, I'd dislike thinking that. I've worked in 5 states, 2 provinces and Germany. Perhaps your inability to spell has something to do with your feelings of entrapment. I'm glad you read my posts personally. I WAS you (little doubt:It's also about your age and education. And The family."The whole catastrophe". I did it. I'll chew off my leg before I live or work in discomfort or disrepute again. Education and a sincere love of our trade sent me down a road of enlightenment that led to a sweet gig. So many people in our trade consider themselves a 'second income'. Many others feel their gender or lack of formal education erodes their self esteem; their confidence. Hell, What we ARE as People. I'm starting to sound mysogynistic and that is not my intention. I ran into a lot of it and watched people blame women for our penury. Horsefeathers. I meet and read far too many opticians that cannot read and/or write. THERE is our problem in our trade: Ignorance. Not gender, age, ethnicity, nuthin. My Rx? Hard work. Mentoring(this board is an incarnation),apprenticeship. It works. Above all, Literacy: It lifted us from slavery. There is part of the sad part about Lensburgers. Who's teaching whom? I was there. 5 years, on and off. Answer? No one is teaching.
    Do my previous posts make any more sense, now?
    Nice little rant about chewing off your leg. Also nice catch on naive! I was typing a little fast and got caught up in the typing. Do your previous post make sense? NO. Your current rant is indecipherable, your rambling on about this and that without making any sense at all.:hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I imagine you have not checked out the price increase of homes and rental properties. I recieved an additonal 50 cents an hour for my increase in living adjustment , which equates to aprox 55 a month, my rent went up fifty dollars a month and that doesnt include any other expenses. Get real we have greater costs than 3% yearly

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My point, exactly

I am sorry you have mistaken my passion for the trade as raving(thank you for calling them 'little' rants). However, N.Webster may not have agreed I was violent,wild or extravagant. I do feel badly for most optical workers.
    Idecipherable? What secret code were you trying to 'break'?. It's English. Maybe you could go back to the begining of my (now regretable) joining of this thread. You will find my theme has been intact and my examples apt. Maybe you could get a grown-up to help you with the big words. And it might not be a bad idea to take another look at that cute icon you use...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had no idea you would take this so personal. The fact remains, cost of living increases beyond the mere cost of living adjustments we get yearly. If it werent so then the one income family would still be in existance, the fact is inflation out does cost of living increases unless your with a company that compensates you justly.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Getting Real - Since you insist

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Post
    I imagine you have not checked out the price increase of homes and rental properties. I recieved an additonal 50 cents an hour for my increase in living adjustment , which equates to aprox 55 a month, my rent went up fifty dollars a month and that doesnt include any other expenses. Get real we have greater costs than 3% yearly
    Your 50 cents per hour equals $86 per month, not $55 (.50 x40 hrs x4.3weeks). That is $1040 annually. Your rent increase was $660. You had $380 more than your rent increase to cover the other increases. What's more I doubt if your rent is increased every year but your cost of living adjustment is permanent. What was your total raise?

You say you have 16 years in the industry, but what you don't say is that you have been with 11 different companies in multiple states and different occupations. You only have 5 years with Lenscrafters your longest ever. What was wrong with Sam's, BJ's, Eye First Vision, Lee Optical and Kay Optometrist? If they were all so wonderful elsewhere, why did you leave and go to Lenscrafters? Twice? What's more your employment record tells me you were making more at Lenscrafters than you were as a Carpenter, or in Refrigeration. How much are you making at Lenscrafters in WA after only 5 years?

Employment
    2004-pres. LDO, Lenscrafters, Olympia, Washington
    1999-2004 LDO, Lenscrafters, Eatontown, New Jersey
    1997-1999 Journeyman Carpenter, Local #2250, Red Bank, New Jersey
    1996-1997 LDO, Sam's Club, Freehold, New Jersey
    1993-1996 LDO, BJ’S Wholesale Club, Edison, New Jersey
    1989-1993 Journeyman Carpenter, Local #2250, Red Bank, New Jersey
    1988-1989 Lab Technician, Eyes First Vision Center, Wall, New Jersey
    1985 Dispensing and Sales, Lee Optical, Tucson, Arizona
    1983-1985 Lab Technician and Dispensing, Kay Optometrists, Tucson, Arizona
    1981-1983 Heating and A/C Service Mechanic, Felner Refrigeration, Tucson, Arizona
    1977-1978 Heating and A/C Service Mechanic, Albert Perri, Middletown, New Jersey

Finally, since you are in the lab, how does the scripting relate to grinding and finishing lenses?

(I take it personally when people openly repeatedly bash the company that is putting food on their table, they don't deserve a paycheck at all.)

Rep
    Last edited by rep; 04-25-2005 at 12:50 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Benefits ............................

The only thing they have going for them is thier benefit package.
    Are you implicating that you are in the same situation like I have seen in Florida Super Markets, where employees have told me : "You knoe the pay is not great but the benefit package including health insurance makes it still worth it"?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=casey]I am sorry you have mistaken my passion for the trade as raving(thank you for calling them 'little' rants). However, N.Webster may not have agreed I was violent,wild or extravagant. I do feel badly for most optical workers.
    Idecipherable? What secret code were you trying to 'break'?. It's English. Maybe you could go back to the begining of my (now regretable) joining of this thread. You will find my theme has been intact and my examples apt. Maybe you could get a grown-up to help you with the big words. And it might not be a bad idea to take another look at that cute icon you use...

Wow are you bitter or what? Get a life and also some help. With rants like yours, you do need help. One more before moving on, Rants can also be: :hammer:
    "Wild or uproarious merriment".

Casey said:
    Idecipherable? What secret code were you trying to 'break'?. It's English. Maybe you could go back to the begining of my (now regretable) joining of this thread.

First: To help you out, the meaning of that "secret code" word indecipherable is:" impossible to determine the meaning of " which is the exact meaning I was using it for. Your rant as I re-read it is still a rant and indecipherable. Now if your such an english buff then you should have know that instead of going on an inane babble (oh I forgot you need the meaning: babble-to utter a meaningless confusion of words,I think that sums up your posts) you should have just ended it. One last thing, I still like: "And The family."The whole catastrophe". I did it. I'll chew off my leg"

Secondly: you said your 50, please don't repeat that it gives all of us who are over 50 a bad rap. (Oh I forgot you want the meaning of Rap: A negative quality or characteristic associated with a person or an object.) :finger:

Third: Since you said my spelling was bad I thought you should know that mysogynistic is incorrectly spelled. The correct spelling is: misogynistic and it means: "Of or characterized by a hatred of women". Where you got we or I hate women is beyond me. :hammer:
    Last edited by jediron1; 04-25-2005 at 10:07 AM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is in response to Reps no# 131 entry. First of all a month is not 4.3 weeks and secondly is rent is just one expense that is increased. After taxes that 80(40x4x.5) dollars you figured has the purchasing power of 2/3 s. They dont deduct rent by taxes when billed to you. When they say your rent is going to be $50 more a month they dont mean 2/3 of $50 they mean $50 and if you dont like it hit the road Jack. Landlords dont barter rent. Employers dont care about your problems they only care about thier bottom line. Besides increases in rent their is also the skyrocketing cost of fuel, utilities, food, ect. Tell me where that leaves ya fella. I find your ignorance of real life economic your shortfall. The fact remains that employers need us just as much as we need them. I will never defend the employer, hes not here for my welfare there there to make a profit on my labor and expereicne.
    Last edited by Jan Post; 04-25-2005 at 05:49 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In response to Reps N0.131 entry. I dont need to justify myself to you. I feel very good to have the background I do, my skills and the people ive met on my journey is an assett not a hinderance as you seem to be claiming. Also I am not in the lab full time, I sell when called upon to do that service and I dispense, verify , autorize others measurements, ect, everything thats required of me as a Licensed Optician.
    The fact still remains, we are underpaid in this industry. Opticians from twenty years ago claim they were making close to our present day wages for thier professional experience. While I was a carpenter, I worked for a Union and my journeyman wages were 24.50 plus benefits an hour, today my friends in that trade are making 28 plus benefits equating to near 40 an hour. They do not get .50 a year raises, they have collective barganing agreements and wind up with more realistic wages.
    Last edited by Jan Post; 04-25-2005 at 11:19 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

more on prisoners of the chains:

Jediron1, You win. No, I am not bitter, I'm relieved I no longer work in a store I dislike. And delighted. Like you, I felt I had little choice in this marketplace. I'm glad you found my comments "merry'. My father told me there were people who adapted well to the gulag system, too. Pretty funny,eh?
    No, Jediron1, I am not bitter. Now, I have a life. I AM sorry for the hurtful things I said. Perhaps, to some, it sounded like ranting. If a fella writes it more than once, it may be true. Ranting was not my intention.
    The confusion around my comment re women comes from decades ago when a lot of guys blamed women for the low wages we received. The point was never about women but wages. It was ignorance and fear. Which are the two reasons there is such tremendous complaining in this thread. And, darn, I said I would stick to the 'optics' thread. Somehow, I thought references to the Past and allusions and metaphors were useful. I was wrong and I'm sorry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Casey:

No Problem, alls forgiven and no ill will was intended.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Check your calender

This is in response to Reps no# 131 entry. First of all a month is not 4.3 weeks
    Actually every month does not have 4 weeks, A number of months have 5 weeks and when figuring pay you have to include the months that have 5 weeks or you end up shorting your pay. That is where the 4.3 figure comes from. Granted my calculations did not include the reductions for taxes. But your calculations saying that taxes took up $25 out of $80 is too high.(your not paying 32% federal income taxes) There is no state income tax in WA and my contacts there tell me that licensed opticians are making $25 an hour or more. That's $52,000,considerably higher than most states.

As a optician who was dispensing 20 years ago I can assure you that we did not make anywhere close to $25 an hour. I just thought your employer bashing was a little out of line. Hopefully it was just a rant and you can go back to work with a different attitude. If it is really that bad, go to Costco and free your mind.

I work for them too and lost all of my Pearle franchise accounts (25) due to the merger. That really hurt. But I still think it is the best place to be in the industry if your going to sell frames or work in a retail one hour office. But I am probably in the minority on that.

Rep

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    State and federal taxes amount to 28 to 33 % depending on your tax bracket. I am not from Washington I am from N.J. im just here temporarily. Your dreaming, Opticians in Washington make 17 dollars an hour. Let me know who I can work for that pay 25 dollars an hour out here and ill beat a path to thier doors, in fact they do not exists. I was told that 17 an hour is the norm here in Washington. In fact they did make 17 dolllars a hour in NJ twenty years ago, Because I myself started at 17 hourly fifteen years ago in NJ. I have three freinds all of whom can verify the wage twenty years ago. This was before corporate take over of our industry occured and the optician was valued as a semi professional. Most optical shops at that time were independenly owned. And as far as employer bashing goes if an employer had the decency to pay a person a raise it would be worth mentioning a employer, cost of living adustments are not raises they are merely a means of keeping up with the escalating rate of inflation.
    I work in the optical industry because im good at it and I enjoy the people I work with and serving the public. I scoff at corporate america because they killed the ma and pa shops as did wallmart and this is due to our politicians allowing Nafta and the Freetrade agreement to occur. When was the last time you picked up a eyeglass frame and it said Made in USA. They say made in China, Japan and Italy. The fact remains that corporate america exploits its workers when they get the chance. I dont know why im telling you this, you should read your history , this will be my last reply :finger:
    Last edited by Jan Post; 04-26-2005 at 12:45 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I scoff at corporate america because they killed the ma and pa shops
    I beg to differ. The consumers who flock like lemmings to these corporations are the ones who killed the mom and pop shops. Instead of basing their purchasing decisions on service, selection, experience, loyalty and dedication, Consumers instead look to quench their instatiable need to SAVE A FEW DOLLARS so they can buy even more stuff. Do not blame corporate america. Blame the consumer's short sighted materialism that makes corporate america possible.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry, I think Mom & Pops killed themselves by not being responsive to the consumers. I dislike Wal-Mart, but I think Sam Walton was a heck of a great guy. After all, his store was a Mom & Pop when it first started as well.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    To a point I agree.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns:
    Sorry, I think Mom & Pops killed themselves by not being responsive to the consumers. I dislike Wal-Mart, but I think Sam Walton was a heck of a great guy. After all, his store was a Mom & Pop when it first started as well.[/QUOTE]

What about the mom and pops who did respond and still got ate up by WM? Or have you never heard what WM does when it enters an area? They go in and visit all the commercial retailers in the area see what they are selling items for and under cut every body until no one can compete. If it takes a year or two they have enough money to wait it out. Once that time has come they then slowly raise prices. Maybe you need to do a little more homework!:hammer:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Look fo a Wal-Mart closure

Quote Originally Posted by jediron1
    If it takes a year or two they have enough money to wait it out. Once that time has come they then slowly raise prices. Maybe you need to do a little more homework!
    ..........and if this does not work out.............they close the store again and then there is no Wm and no Mom and Pap left in a circumference of 60 miles.

Maybe anybody wants to start an optical retail store should look out for an area where Wal-Mart recently closed a store.

They just closed one in Quebec last week...........because employees got unionized.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JEDIRON,

I DO my homework, but maybe we're not in the same class(room).

I do my homework to the point that I have 5 stores and 4 of them are in the shaddows (literally) of Wal-Marts. 3 of these stores I opened AFTER they put Wal-Mart in! My theory: If a community can support a WM, it can support (almost) any business. They need billions of $$ to survive. I'm happy with a few million, or less. However, I don't put in WM type stores. Let the bottom feeders fight over the dollars of the lower socio-economic wage earners. My market is the consumer that expects high quality, extremely good service, and most importantly. they expect to pay more than they would for WM type products.

When we have a higher than normal sales day, we call it a "whatever" day. Why? Because many time on days like this, we'll ring up $1500+ sales and the customers hand over their credit cards with a "whatever" type attitude. They are willing to pay "whatever" it takes to get the styles, the brands, the quality, and the service they deserve. And - no, we aren't in tony, affluent areas where folks drive around in fancy cars and money is no object. One of our highest grossing stores is between a Save-A-Lot grocery, and a Dollar General store. Not what I'd call "high-brow". I have inner-city as well as rural stores and the formula remains the same at all of them.

The mom & pops that responded and still went out of business obviously had the wrong response. When you get punched in the nose, a typical response might be to hit back with everything you have, but the other guy might be bigger. Sometimes going back to your corner, regrouping, and coming out in the next round with a smarter strategy is the best response. Get faster, get better, get nicer, get more, get less - who knows what the best response is ? All I know is that there are many opticals out here that do not only survive, but thrive against the giants.

If you think you can't compete agains Wal-Mart - you're right ! But I'll bet you anything that someone else can, and will.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe you should re-read my post and then read what Chris said. You probable were in a class but not the not the same class I wanted to be in.:hammer:

Thread Information