Nikon i versus other progressive lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon i versus other progressive lenses

I have worn Essilor's Comfort progressives for a number of years. This year I thought I'd like to try a smaller frame and "short corridor" progressives were suggested.

I should mention that I do a lot of computer work and do not like moving my head a lot to read either on screen or paper.

My new RX read:

OD sph: -8.50 cyl: +050 axis: 43 add: +255
    OS sph: -8.50 cyl: +100 axis: 163 add:+225.

The beginning of a cataract was also noticed in my left eye.

Almost all opticians I visited suggested the Nikon i with the ICE coating.

I was fitted twice with the RX I listed above using the Nikon i and ICE coating. Once in a 1.6 index the other in a 1.67. Both times vision ito my right was great - left vision had me moving my head for focus and clarity in pheripheral vision and driving me crazy at a computer screen.

The optician who fitted the 1.67 index lenses suggested that I should get my RX re-checked. (1st RX was April 27, new RX Jul 13)

I did; the RX changed for the OS and now reads:
    OS sph: -8.25 cyl: +050 axis: 150 add:+225

I was fitted for the third time again with the Nikon i and again the same problem ocurred - I'm constantly moving my head to compensate for poor pheripheral left vision

I am getting a bit frustrated by all this and am wondering if there is another lens that can be tried to improve my pheripheral left vision.

One optician did suggest the Essilor Panamic, but said it was the Nikon i in "disguise".

As a consumer I am totally confused and baffled by this new technology.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

They actually told you that the Nikon i was the Varilux Panamic in disguise?

Those are completely different lenses.

I understand why you are confused. I would suggest either going into the Panamic (because that is the next step up on the Comfort), or I would suggest going back to the Comfort.

It can be a lot of factors, but to me it sounds like the Optician should check the measurements on the left eye. Do you mind telling me if you purchased the glasses from an Optician or an Optomitrist?

Comment

Originally posted by For-Life
      Do you mind telling me if you purchased the glasses from an Optician or an Optomitrist?
      from an optician

Comment

Hmm, strange. Maybe get the Optician to put you back into the Comfort, because you know that you do not have problems with that lens, and hint to recheck the measurements. Of course no professional likes being told that their measurements are off.

Comment

Try using the Zeiss individual lens, it is the latest in progressive technology and it comes in 1.6 high index with Zeiss Carat AR coating.

Comment

Went back to the optician yesterday and I was told that all my concerns are "normal" and I should give more time to breaking in the Rx.

When I made a general inquiry about using another lens I received the response that "all lenses are basically the same", "try these for another week or two and if you're still not happy we can set you up with a recheck".

However, the optician did adjust the frame, so now I have more blurred vision when viewing a computer screen then I did before. :(

So I'll give it another week and ask for a refund and try another place.

Any suggestions for a knowledgeable optician in the Ottawa, Ontario Canada area?

Comment

parimar, the nikon i is not available in the US, so i'm not familiar with it, is it a "short corridor" design? did you get a too narrow frame? you said the OD was fine, it's just the OS bothering you? did the optician use monocular pds and monocular seg heights? a short corridor lens design in a 2.25 add in a shallow frame is going to cause some problems at the PC...you should have a nikon online PC lens design for working at the PC. comes in 1.67 Crizal, wonderful product...

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Ranger
                parimar, the nikon i is not available in the US, so i'm not familiar with it, is it a "short corridor" design? did you get a too narrow frame? you said the OD was fine, it's just the OS bothering you? did the optician use monocular pds and monocular seg heights? a short corridor lens design in a 2.25 add in a shallow frame is going to cause some problems at the PC...you should have a nikon online PC lens design for working at the PC. comes in 1.67 Crizal, wonderful product...
                The Nikon i is a lens with a 16 fitting height, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the monocular fittings. That was what I was thinking. I have found that one of the biggest adaption problems for PAL's is when the dispenser fits bioculary instead of monoculary. A lot of dispensers do not understand that if you move a couple of mm's out on a flat top or single vision lens there is usually no problem, but with a progressive it can make all of the difference in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by parimar
                  Went back to the optician yesterday and I was told that all my concerns are "normal" and I should give more time to breaking in the Rx.

When I made a general inquiry about using another lens I received the response that "all lenses are basically the same", "try these for another week or two and if you're still not happy we can set you up with a recheck".

However, the optician did adjust the frame, so now I have more blurred vision when viewing a computer screen then I did before. :(

So I'll give it another week and ask for a refund and try another place.

Any suggestions for a knowledgeable optician in the Ottawa, Ontario Canada area?
                  Too bad, I am on the other side of the Province. Ask the Optician if all lenses are basically the same then why did he pick a higher end, more expensive one.

Comment

Texas Ranger:
                    the nikon i is a "short corridor" design which can be fitted at 16mm. As for the frame it has an actual depth of 25mm and the optician said it was similar in size to my previous frame where I had Essilor Comfort fitted 2 years ago. I'm not sure which mreasurements the optician used - though I am getting the distinct feeling from the opticians I have dealt with recently that not too many of them like the customer to ask too many questions.

For-Life:
                    I know from the various opticians I have met over the last 4 months that none of them had the same PD measurements - 31/31.5; 30/31, 30.5/31 - like all over the map!

Thanks to all for their replies - I have a bit more knowledge; now I need to find a diplomatic way to ask some questions without making myself look like a "smart-alec" .

Comment

Originally posted by parimar
                      Texas Ranger:
                      the nikon i is a "short corridor" design which can be fitted at 16mm. As for the frame it has an actual depth of 25mm and the optician said it was similar in size to my previous frame where I had Essilor Comfort fitted 2 years ago. I'm not sure which mreasurements the optician used - though I am getting the distinct feeling from the opticians I have dealt with recently that not too many of them like the customer to ask too many questions.

For-Life:
                      I know from the various opticians I have met over the last 4 months that none of them had the same PD measurements - 31/31.5; 30/31, 30.5/31 - like all over the map!

Thanks to all for their replies - I have a bit more knowledge; now I need to find a diplomatic way to ask some questions without making myself look like a "smart-alec" .
                      Those pd's are actually not that much off. But it does look like they were done monoculary, which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by For-Life
                        Those pd's are actually not that much off. But it does look like they were done monoculary, which is good.
                        I agree, a half mm isn't much at all. Could the cataract just be making the OS overly sensitive to the lense change?

Comment

What is sacrificed in the 16mm short corridor lens designs is the intermediate, mid distance range, so yes, they will not be good at the PC...period...

Comment

The saga continues .... I had a new left lense made and the problem is about as bad if not a bit worse.

The optician's suggested next step .. go back to prescribing doctor and get another recheck or go to an optometrist and get a second option.

I mentioned that I thought I should go back to a "regular" progressive/larger frame. The optician's response - the problem would remain the same.

Totally and very :( !

Comment

Parimar,

You mentioned that you have a cataract developing. Do you know what your visual acuity is in that eye? Is the Dr. correction going to give you 20/20 vision or is the best that can be done 20/** (a higher number).

My other thought is that if you are trying to get good computer range, Texas Ranger is right, you are not going to get it with a short corridor lens. Best solution is a computer lens like the Nikon Online or Shamir Office. Also, a common problem that patients can run into is an incompatiblility with the design of the lens. In other words, for whatever reason you are not accepting the Nikon design well. Shamir Picollo was rated the best short corridor lens in a recent US study.

But on retrospect, since you see well out of the right but not the left, I am curious about the VA of the left eye. Good Luck.
                              Lee Prewitt, ABOM
                              Independent Sales Representative
                              AIT Industries
                              224 W. James St.
                              Bensenville, IL 60106
                              Cell : (425) 241-1689
                              Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
                              Direct: (630) 274-6136
                              Fax: (630) 595-1006
                              www.aitindustries.com
                              leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company