Thread: Advanced ABO

OptiBoard Novice

Idea

I am going to take the advanced exas this year. I am looking for any helpful information that anyone has. Any type of usefull study guides or educational you can suggest would be great.

I would also like to talk to someone else that has take it.

Please email me at eugster@cooke.net.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Have you taken all of the required pre-requisite courses? I believe the phase out of being able to take this test without the pre-requisites is June of this year.

OptiBoard Novice

I haven't done anything except get the book for the ABO which is not very helpful. I would like to take any courses or study anything that would help, but I don't know where to get information on such courses.

Thanks

Bad address email on file

SunShine,
    I did not get you well,do you mean you are sitting advanced ABO exam without undertaking a course of study in opticianry lets say of 2 yrs or so.
    Is it possible to sit ABO,ABOM or NCLE exams without undergoing formal training?
    Please enlighten me on how system works in America.
    Thanks,
    Sara

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The ABO and NCLE Advanced Exams will require that you have completed 10 core courses(these are required for either the ABO-AC or the NCLC-AC) and 10 courses in the specific area you wish to take the exam. Master level also requires writing a paper. NCLE-AC Fellow status through the CLSA will require an oral and practical ( I believe).

You can gain these courses at the OAA and NAO National meetings or at a state meeting that desires to hold them. My association has already held 24+ hours in hopes to encourage ABOC/NCLE individuals to move ahead.

The ABO/NCLE does not have educational requirementrs other than a HS Diploma. That is what some of the controversy is about on the other boards.

[This message has been edited by Bev Heishman (edited 04-24-2001).]

OptiBoard Novice

Thank you Bev. Now the problem I am having is finding where I can take the courses. Also the information I got from the ABO in the mail said that the cut off time for being able to take the exam under the "gradfather" clause was December 2002, but their web site says June this year. I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried all the ways I know to find out this information. I have been trying to call the ABO and it seems no one is ever in the office that could help me.

I would also love to talk to someone who has taken the advanced exam if anyone out there has or knows someone who has, pleas contact me.

eugster@cooke.net
    Thanks.

Thread Information