Thread: Kodak Progressives

Bad address email on file April_01's Avatar

Kodak Progressives

Have any of you had patients complain about the kodak progressives? We have had some complaints that they don't see as well as their last pair and others are fine.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It depends on what their others were, right? Are you upgrading to the Kodak or downgrading to it? It's a middle-of-the-road design.

Most of them are being upgraded from adaptar, natural, etc. I have put some people that were in varilux( a great lens ) to kodak because our doctor says it doesn't make a difference which progressive they are in (granted it is a newer design and is fit/measured accordingly). I would just assume keep someone who isn't having a problem in the same lens type(as long as it is a newer design) unless they went with a smaller frame and needed smaller seg ht. Is there really a difference between the newer progressives if they are fit/measured properly, or does it depend on each individual/Prescription? Should I be changing pt's to different designs or as the old saying goes "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you talking about Precise, Concise or both? We haven't had any problems with Precise but had one Concise non-adapt. We really don't use Kodak often.

Precise is very good. Better than Comfort (no brainer). Concise isn't the greatest for Cyl or low segs as claimed.

Should I be changing pt's to different designs or as the old saying goes "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"?
    I think if there is a design that is better, that offers better vision, it is your JOB to switch to the better desighn. That includes hand holding through any adaptation period. I have found that switching from Varilux anything to Zeiss requires no hand holding at all. But if you are switching from normal to short, you will have to do more work.

It isn't a case of "if it aint broke". Its a case of an old car that at least needs a tune up.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

From way out in left field

Hello April_01 and company. I would like know if you are referring specifically to the Kodak Precise, the Kodak Concise or (I think not) some previous Kodak PAL design. I would also like to know the name(s) of AR coatings you may select from with the Kodak Precise. Could you order a Kodak Precise with Crizal Alize? Do you know if the Kodak Precise is available in a 1.523 plastic material called Superfin, which was first marketed by the Indo Lens company (HQ in Spain, US subsidiary). There was a website with these two products put close together but it was not clear whether they were meant to be connected or not. I have sent Email to "info" at SignetArmorlite but never get a response. Finally I will telephone if I don't pick up the information first.

I am not an optical professional, just an Rx lens wearer who for some odd reasons is setting a new all time all world Guiness record: Most technical data collected and analyzed by a layman before finally gettting around to updating his eyeglasses. I guess it serves as kind of a hobby. I also enjoy the posting.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:39 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg
    Could you order a Kodak Precise with Crizal Alize?
    rinselberg,
    Certain coatings like Crizal are proprietary and can only be applied to Essilor products. The same applies to Teflon AR made by Sola.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Show nuff had some problems with thier AR coatings.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Crizal availabiity

Quote Originally Posted by Jo
    rinselberg,
    Certain coatings like Crizal are proprietary and can only be applied to Essilor products. The same applies to Teflon AR made by Sola.
    Hello Jo. Would you expect this? I went to the CRIZALPRO website and downloaded the Lens Availability Chart (hyperlink below). As of July 1, 2004 it actually indicates the SignetArmorlite Kodak Precise in CR-39 and Airwear Poly as "available". Airwear is an Essilor trademark. The chart does not indicate Crizal only or Crizal and/or Crizal Alize.

Crizal lens availability chart (PDF document)
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-21-2004 at 10:40 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you know? Thanks rinselberg!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Kodak progressives in any design are compatible with Crizal or Alaze with CR-39 and PolyClear (Polycarb) material. Kodak is the only poly progressive lens manufacture outside of Essilor that complys with Crizal's tough AR coating process. Keep in mind that they also give back $10 per pair to increase either the office's profitability, or your own! They have worked great for me without any non-adapt problems. Like an eariler post said, ANY short-corridor progressives requires work when dispensing to a patient coming from a much larger frame (progressive lens) package.

Thank you all for your input. I do think any upgrade is better no matter what subject you're talking about, but I am just not that knowledgable when it comes to progressives and which ones are better. Every person I talk to has a different opinion and since I don't wear progressives I get very confused. This forum has helped me a lot since I can hear all sides of a subject at once and then make an informed decision. As far as progressives what should I be looking for that separates from a "good design" from a "better design"? I know it depends on prescription and some other specifics; but generally speaking, any suggestions?Or is this a question that involves specifics?

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The newest technology in progressive is free form. there are several lens companies that have free form progressives. i have found that the Zeiss Individual and the rodenstock multigressives work well. The zeiss has a better AR coating though.

Thread Information