Thread: Plastic lenses and UV...question

Bad address email on file

Question Plastic lenses and UV...question

Is there anything that actually REQUIRES us to UV coat plastic sunglass lenses, or is this an option left to the customer? Just curious.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I always thought that it was optional, but an option that I push whenever possible.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know of any requirement for UV protection, but I include it into my "duty to warn" advice for every customer.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    in Europe CE certification requires that a sunglass lens blocks to 400nm
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

400?

Robert, since in some lenses it is impossible to obtain 400 what do you do then

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are aware that most opthalmic lenses block a majority of UV without addittives. Can we really make a case that the 10 to 20 % more we are blocking with sheep dip really makes a difference? Has anyone, ever done a study that illustrates spectacle wearers (before the advent of UV dip) had less catarac's or less macular edema than non-spectacle wearers (remember these people were getting up to 85% UV blockage with no UV coating as opposed to no UV blocking amoung non-spectacle wearers.

If it's so needed why do not ophthalmologist precribe plano's with UV for emetropes (and yes I am sure that some with thier own dispensaries do, even know some that Rx this on 1/2 eye readers) ?

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Responsible dispensing

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt
    Is there anything that actually REQUIRES us to UV coat plastic sunglass lenses, or is this an option left to the customer? Just curious.
    Kurt,

Nothing REQUIRES me to put sunscreen on myself or my children or grandchildren when outdoors in sun. However, I choose to protect myself and my children against the harmful UV rays anyway, because technology has changed since I was a child and sunscreens weren't available. As a result of not having protected my skin as a child, and teenager, I have had skin cancer, which would have been prevented if TECHNOLOGY and education had been offered to protect me. Suntan lotions and oils were available and the lotions were suggested for fairer complexions and oils were suggested for those who wanted a deep tan. I chose the lotions most of the time, because of my very fair complexion, and quite frankly I also stayed out of the sun a lot, because I didn't like the pain of the burn. However the little difference with the addition of the sunscreen would have made the difference. Could I feel the difference right away?...nope. However, after a few hours my skin hurt a lot. Demonstrate on yourself or some fair skinned person, and have plain lotion on one arm and sunscreen on the other arm and spend a quantity of time in the sun...

Nothing REQUIRES us to UV coat lenses, but I believe that RESPONSIBLE "PROFESSIONAL" eyecare professionals suggest the protection of this TECHNOLOGY to our patients. Years ago, I started putting UV in my husband's lenses, first. He has very light blue eyes. On days that he wore lenses without the UV all day, his eyes were more tired and more injected at the end of the day. He was also a little more stressed.... On the days he wore the newer lenses, that was all improved. I noticed the same thing. My patients started reporting the same thing, because I educated them of the technology and asked them to let me know how it made them feel. On a few I even suggested that they wear the lenses for a couple of months and if they didn't notice a difference I would refund the cost of the UV. I never had to refund any. I didn't offer this to refund to every patient, because I wanted a true tracking device.

Whether the protection is an additional 10%, 20% or 100%, I believe that we should offer this protection to our patient. Quality information is important.

Long term, we may not really know for 20 years...but I believe the protection is worth it.

Just my 1.5 cents worth.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    Robert, since in some lenses it is impossible to obtain 400 what do you do then
    harry this directive applies to cr39 lenses
    To find out what,s happening in the UK optical market:
    http://theOptom.com

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Protection worth it to us or them?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Robert, what CR-39 lens can you make with 400 uv protection?, my guess is you can,t possibly do more then 390 if your lucky, and if its been dipped it is going to fade with age, and if the lenses are tinted some of the uv will disappear, unless you guys over in europe are doing something different.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Uncoated CR-39 takes out about 90% of the UV. Therefore the difference between coating and not is like the difference between spf 15 and spf45. If you are truely concerned sell them a hat.

Thread Information