Thread: Progessives, or...........

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Confused Progessives, or...........

At age 43, Im faced with my first perscription for bifocals :(

My first go-around in finding new glasses sounded more like a 'canned' sales pitch as oppossed educated recomendations for my situation. I am an engineer and work at a computer most days. Plus I enjoy running as well.
    My perscription is:
    OD -6.75+250X090
    OS -7.00+228X090
    ADD +128 (or 125 - hard to read)

I'm looking for 'unbiased', general recomendations for someone in my situation. Also looking for any recomendations for the Fort Wayne, Indiana area.

I know this may not be inline with the general discussions of this board. There seems to be allot of good information posted by people in the know here. Some general recomendations for my individual situation will help me from being 'railroaded' into the 'only choice'.
    Thanks!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by phillm47

At age 43, Im faced with my first perscription for bifocals............ :(

I'm looking for 'unbiased', general recomendations for someone in my situation........................
    Thanks!
    Considering your age you would be a perfect case for progressive lenses which probably every optician would recommend to you and explain you all the advantages of these lenses.

However looking at your profession, being an engineer, you working on a computer you should consider a few negative points that will have to be carefully considered.

If you work with large size drawings and plans you will encounter problems with progressive lenses because of the size of the reading area which is small and will get smaller as the addition increases due to age. Looking at drawings and plans you will have to continously move your head to find the spot you want to see. Due to the curves (+ side or outside curves) on progressive lenses you will also encounter some distortion that affect the peripheral vision. Yor field of vision on your reading part on these lenses will be ry limited. If you do choose this type of lenses make sure not to buy one of those small fashionable frames as you need the full progressive part plus the reading segment which is usually at it's best at 24mm from the center of the pupil downs.

You can also choose a bifocal with a visible line and has no progressive partn(not necessary at your age), in that case choose the widest available reading segment as for example. 35mm. Such a lens will have no distortion at all and will give you a much wider reading field of vision.

Being a -7.00 myop you probably are using high index lenses which make your lenses lighter and thinner.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    If you work with large size drawings and plans you will encounter problems with progressive lenses because of the size of the reading area which is small and will get smaller as the addition increases due to age. Looking at drawings and plans you will have to continously move your head to find the spot you want to see.
    I find that patients who spend much of their during reading large areas and working on computers benefit from one pair of glasses that is dedicated to those tasks such as Nikon Online, Sola Access, Shamir office etc. or a lined bifocal that has the intermediate or computer vision at the top and the reading in the bottom segment. These types of lenses are by no means meant to be worn full times but are to supplement a pair of dress glasses.

Two pair of glasses does sound like a hassle but considering the alternative of "hunting" for the right reading area throughout the day your eyes and patiences will thank you.

As always consider a hi-index material and appropriate anti-reflective coatings as well a frame that is not too small (top to bottom).
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by phillm47
    At age 43, Im faced with my first perscription for bifocals :(

My first go-around in finding new glasses sounded more like a 'canned' sales pitch as oppossed educated recomendations for my situation. I am an engineer and work at a computer most days. Plus I enjoy running as well.
    My perscription is:
    OD -6.75+250X090
    OS -7.00+228X090
    ADD +128 (or 125 - hard to read)

I'm looking for 'unbiased', general recomendations for someone in my situation. Also looking for any recomendations for the Fort Wayne, Indiana area.

I know this may not be inline with the general discussions of this board. There seems to be allot of good information posted by people in the know here. Some general recomendations for my individual situation will help me from being 'railroaded' into the 'only choice'.
    Thanks!
    I know our industry seems like a sales pitch sometimes. You have to understand that there are a lot of different types of progressive lenses out there. Additionally there are a lot of lens producing companies. So when you have Nikon, Zeiss, Essilor, Hoya, Shamir, American Optical, Signet Amorlite, Sola, and other companies tell you that there lens is the absolute best lens with the widest reading and distance, and less distortion a lot of it gets lost in the shuffle. So each professional has to use other variables. They have to learn about it through experience, trial and error, and other professionals reviews.

I think you are making the right decision in looking at Progessive Lenses. Every single one of my first time bi-focal wearers that come into my office are put into Progressives. Progressive lenses are not only appealing, but they also give you your full distance, intermediate, and near vision.

So what lens is best for you. For thinness I would say that you should either be in an aspheric poly or 1.6 (depending on what frame style and what index that particular lens is avaible in), or a 1.67 for a even thinner look. I also would strongly suggest an Anti-Reflective coating. An Anti-Reflective coating with give you better vision as without one you only get 92 percent light transmission, but with an Anti-Reflective coating you will get around 99 percent depending on the type of coating. The coating will make it easier on the computer, watching tv, and night driving. For the particular coating I only use the premium ones. A premium coating lasts longer, has less reflections and is easier to care for. So I would look at the Zeiss, Crizal D Alize, Sola Teflon, Nikon HCC Ice, or Hoya Hi-Super Coat.

As for a particular lens choice there are many options. If you came into my practice I would probably put you into the Varilux Panamic, but there are also many good options like the SolaOne, Nikon i, Zeiss Gradal Top, and others.

So there is a lot of choice, but a lot of good combinations. I suggest trying to find the dispenser that will take the time with you pick the best for you.

Edit - I concur with the others here about a second pair to specialize in the intermediate and reading, but I would focus on the one pair right now and see if down the road if the second pair would be something you would like.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

Best possible vision... Rodenstock's Multigressiv. This is an atoric design that will minimize off-axis blur. Available in 1.6 for decreased thickness (compared to standard cr39 plastic) and slightly reduced weight.

Best possible physical comfort... Genesis in the Trivex material. Extremely impact resistant.

Best compromise ... Definity by JJ Co. Material is polycarbonate and is an atoric design. Extremely impact resistant.

You will see the monitor clearly with the new lenses if it is placed at a typical 22"-25" distance.

Hope this helps

Robert

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Zeiss Individual lens was made for someone with your Rx power. This lens is only available in High Index with the Zeiss Carat AR. These features will give you a lightweight thin lens with good optics. As your near power increases you may also want lenses for intermediate and near distance.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Thanks everyone.

Any recomendations on where to get fitted in Fort Wayne?

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to Ziess.com and look for the nearest Zeiss dealer. They have to get certified to dispense the Individual lens, so they should know what they are doing.

Thread Information