Thread: A question for those smarter than I.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A question for those smarter than I.

I sat in on a few courses by Pat Tolar this week-end. At one point mentioned that you could see X number of feet in water with gray(grey for those of you what went to school up Nawth) polarized lenses and X+ feet in the water with Brown Polarized lenses. Pat went on to say that every good optician knows this. I don't if someone out there do, please enlighten me.

Thanks,
    Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Chip, depending on the clarity of the water and the number of people standing in it; also, assuming that everyone had 2 feet I don't think it would matter which colour your lenses were.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Contrast .................................

A perfect grey.......or black.........lens with a near perfect straight transmission curve (in the sprectometer) will reproduce colours the same way as seen without glasses. (Therefore the old brand name as for example ..True Color)

However a brown lens, depending on the color mix, will provide a much higher contrast and therefore you will be able to detect a lot more details in your visual field.

You can go even further. If you use a good Blue-Blocking color you will eliminate fuzzy blue light, and this will provide you with maximum contrast. For example you will see further into a foggy environment, you can see the color of buoy 's against the sunlight on the water. It will give you the same effect as used in black and white photography for maximum contrast effects.

The polaroid effect will give you only the extra enhancement as an addition.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't support this specifically, but it is my recollection from optometry college that the contrast enhancing effects of blue filters is highly overestimated.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by drk

I can't support this specifically, but it is my recollection from optometry college that the contrast enhancing effects of blue filters is highly overestimated.
    The only in depth study I have seen or heard of is the one made by the College of Optometry of the University of Waterloo Ontario in about 1987, financed by the Government of Canada stating all the facts including the ones I made above.

Also Dr, de Land (polaroid) stated that if a certain color would be eliminated by a filter and an object seen through this filter would appear to be black, the brain would compensate after a certain amount of time. The object would then be seen again in its, in this case it's original colour,which would be blue.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    I sat in on a few courses by Pat Tolar this week-end. At one point mentioned that you could see X number of feet in water with gray(grey for those of you what went to school up Nawth) polarized lenses and X+ feet in the water with Brown Polarized lenses. Pat went on to say that every good optician knows this. I don't if someone out there do, please enlighten me.

Thanks,
    Chip
    Chip, he may be referring to types of water. Example, for deep ocean water, gray is the lens of choice but if you are fishing in shallow water, say a river or flats, the brown will give better contrast. I was told this over and over by professional level anglers while I was working for Hobie/Gargoyles.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The lady was actually stateing that you could see deeper beneath the surface with brown and stated actual depths like 15" for gray and 25 for brown. She insinuated that this was something every good optician knew. I am aware that brown is better for haze and early/late hours and gray better for really bright situations on the surface.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have not heard anything like that Chip. My guess is that water depth, salinity, how clear it was, etc would play a big part. Now a 10" difference does not seem like a big deal but if you are fishing in a nice running creek it might be the difference between seeing that big 'ol trout in the rocks and weeds. :)
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    The lady was actually stateing that you could see deeper beneath the surface with brown and stated actual depths like 15" for gray and 25 for brown. She insinuated that this was something every good optician knew.

People who say things like "every good (blank) knows (blank)" but then neglect to go on and explain the mechanism do so because they don't know it themselves but want to sound knowledgeable and important.

Some 'guru' told some 'acolyte' that brown gives you improved resolution in deeper water than blue. Then a bunch of people played 'telephone' until this presenter heard 15 vs. 25 inches then repeated it as gospel without understanding why or even knowing if it's true. It's probable there is a difference in resolution; it's unlikely that the difference is 40%. I'd imagine that the density of tint is more significant than the color but I do buy into the color discrimination argument. My $.02

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My correction that should have been 15 feet and 25 feet.

Chip

Thread Information